I know this is a general stereo question, but I've posted on some Jeep boards, and not gotten any informative responses.

I have a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with the factory "infinity" system. This system according to the wiring list I have, and according to some Jeep guys works like this:

Head unit is basically the same as in the non infinity systems, i.e. "high level". The speaker outs on this (labled as such on the head unit) go to the Infinity amp under the rear seat. The Infinity amp drives the speakers at a blistering 18Wpc.

Just for an experiment, I took my old 100Wpc amp (which I know works fine) and wired it in - using wire taps to the input connector of the infinity amp (I disconnected the infinity amp completely). I ran the wires to the "high level" inputs on my amp. Hooked it up to a sub I have lying around to see if it would work.

It did work, but I was able to get very very little volume out of the amp - like maybe 1/10th at most what it would normally be.

Question is this - How high level is high level? Is there a way I can test to see if they are really lo level? Would measuring the voltages help? With or without the amp (infinity or mine) connected?

Any thoughts on this are appreciated. Yes, I know, stock systems "suck" - but actually this one is not all that bad, and if I can "intercept" the signals before they go to the factory amp, and run them through my active x-over, and to my sub amp, it will sound even better....

Thanks, I know not totally empeg related - but I DO have an empeg in the loop here, and how this all works determines how I might wire up the next phase of my install...

-Jeff