Here is a strange thing. I was upgrading a friend's empeg (I've done several now using the excellent drive upgrade FAQ) and a weird thing happened.

This is what I did:

1. Removed the two old disks.
2. Installed the two new disks.
3. Ran the builder
4. Installed the 2.0 final.
5. Removed one new disk and installed one old disk as secondary.
6. Copied the data.
7. *Tried* to switch drives to copy the other pair.

At this point, the strangest thing happened. The boot logs indicated that the empeg was recognizing the drives, but I got Hard Disk Not Found. Odd. So, I did the following:

1. Triple checked all of the connections.
2. Carefully recrimped all the connectors on the IDE cable.
3. Tried again.

Same schidt. So, I figured I'd try one drive at a time. It would work with neither of the 2nd pair of drives (one old and one new), but it would work just fine with the first new drive I had copied. Very strange. How could *two* drives have gone bad? I was careful with ESD and that whole business. I tried them several times thinking I had some kind of intermittent failure on the cable or connector. Nope -- totally repeatable.

I decided to see if the builder image could find the second new drive (the regular image couldn't, apprarently). So, I did this:

1. Install the second new drive as the only drive.
2. Try it again one last time to make sure it doesn't work.
2. Load the builder image.
3. See what happens.

Well, this is what happened: the builder recognized the disk and even recognized it as already built. I pressed enter to rebuild the disk. With the procedure I just did, I was trying to eliminate physical connectivity issues because I tried it with two images (2.0 final -- didn't work, builder -- did work) without touching or moving the drive or cable at all.

After the disk was rebuilt, I reloaded the 2.0 final. It worked, so I installed the other disk (the remaining old disk) and copied the data.

Its now working with both new disks.

Sorry if this wasn't worth reporting, but it seemed odd and I thought I'd mention it.

Jim