Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#250489 - 26/02/2005 11:59 FS: Rio Karma
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I have decided I want an iPod Photo to go on holiday this year with. This will mean I can leave the laptop at home, and just copy files from my camera direct to my portable player. If Rio were looking like they were any where near bringing a decent product to the market to do this I would opt for that, but I can't see that happening anytime soon!

Although I would love to keep the Karma for music only trips, it will likely become an expensive and little used toy. So I have decided to sell.

It has regular light use. I have never had a problem with it (ie no lock ups, disk clicks or broken wheels). I have the original UK box hidden away, with all the leads and disks that come with it when it was new. There are some light scuffs on the front of the unit, but you have to really look hard to notice them.

It was one of the first UK units shipped from amazon.co.uk this time last year, so it is just outside its 12 month warranty.

If you would like to make me an offer please send me a PM. I don't think it is worth shipping the unit to the US, but if you want to pay the postage you are welcome to make me an offer.

Cheers

Cris.

#250490 - 26/02/2005 18:19 Re: FS: Rio Karma [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
This from the man who called me a traitor when I bought an Ipod! You getting the 30GB one?

EDIT: You needn't get a Photo one, it looks like the Belkin card reader will work with any 4th Gen Ipod.

Edited by andym (26/02/2005 18:28)

Andy M

#250491 - 27/02/2005 05:57 Re: FS: Rio Karma [Re: andym]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
Quote:

EDIT: You needn't get a Photo one, it looks like the Belkin card reader will work with any 4th Gen Ipod.

But, I think the Photo one is required for the new camera connector accessory. It seems better to go that route rather than the Belkin way since the new camera connector+iPod makes the photos viewable on the iPod without syncing to the computer.

#250492 - 27/02/2005 21:02 Re: FS: Rio Karma [Re: andym]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Depends on how much money I have left before the holiday, but I like the sound of the new 60Gb one

I would want to view the pictures on the player before wiping the CF, I wouldn't trust just copying them to an iPod!

The fact of the matter is, Rio don't do a player with this sort of function on, so they leve me with only one option. I am also unsure about buying another Rio product which boasts allot of potential but never gets the back up and support from the company (Read: No Remote, CF adaptor etc... for the Karma), where as Apple have got the markets interest, so lots of 3rd party add ons

Cheers

Cris.

#250493 - 27/02/2005 22:44 Re: FS: Rio Karma [Re: adavidw]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
This post on gizmodo implies that the photo cable may work with some of the older non-photo ipods. Belkin (i think) has offered this functionality for quite a while through an ipod accessory, but it was widely panned as being slow and taking an entire ipod battery to copy a one gig card.

I think it's a bit early to pass judgement on the Apple photo downloading cable, but it remains to be seen if apple is going to do it right. As it stands now, the ipod photo only has the ability to view photos that have been resized and reformatted by iTunes. Having the iPod resize and generate its own thumbnails is non-trivial. An iPod that could download canon raw files and show the thumbnails would get my attention quickly, however.

Matthew