Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#191621 - 03/12/2003 06:13 I'm buying!
hansg
new poster

I am in the market for a Mk2 player + tuner (Europe). I'm willing to pay $400 or less. If you're interested in selling, please let me know.

#191622 - 11/12/2003 12:30 Re: I'm buying! [Re: hansg]
sundayjumper
journeyman

Loc: West Berkshire
That budget is just a teensy bit optimistic. You'll need pretty much double that for a player + tuner.

Steve.

Edited by sundayjumper (11/12/2003 12:31)

#191623 - 11/12/2003 15:37 Re: I'm buying! [Re: hansg]
NT2OOO

Loc: ITALY
.............I am in the market for a Mk2 player + tuner (Europe). I'm willing to pay $400 or less. If you're interested in selling, please let me know. .................

wait wait......
good luck

#191624 - 12/12/2003 09:24 Re: I'm buying! [Re: sundayjumper]
hansg
new poster

Maybe i'm an optimist for thinking it's not worth paying more for something that a) at one point was available for even less, b) is used, and c) has feature rich competitors from other manufacturers available at reasonable prices. New.

It may well be the rest of the world disagrees with me, but then I'll just buy something else and we all live a happy life.

True Believers(tm) are a whole different story.

#191625 - 12/12/2003 09:42 Re: I'm buying! [Re: hansg]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
Maybe i'm an optimist for thinking it's not worth paying more for something that a) at one point was available for even less, b) is used, and c) has feature rich competitors from other manufacturers available at reasonable prices. New.
I don't have a tuner, so I can't really comment on it, but there is no other player on the market that is as feature rich as the empeg, or as extensible - just wander around this site for some ideas of what people have done, and are still doing.

The only time the "new" price was near what you're asking was when Sonic was discontinuing them, and selling them off at a loss.

If you search ebay (a good free-market barometer which includes "true believers" as well as just interested folks) you'll find that an empeg alone is generally going for more than $400.

Go ahead and drink the Kool-Aid!

-jk

#191626 - 12/12/2003 09:59 Re: I'm buying! [Re: hansg]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
at one point was available for even less
As was pointed out already, only when SB was trying to dump their inventory fast.
feature rich competitors from other manufacturers available at reasonable prices. New.
Doubtful. I have yet to see anything that comes close to the empeg functionality, except for maybe buying a Karma and rigging it to go through your head unit. Even then it doesn't have hierarchical playlists yet.
but then I'll just buy something else and we all live a happy life.
Yes, but ours will be happier!

Seriously, this unit is well worth over $1,000, even used. And you won’t have to pay that.

Also, you should consider if you really need a tuner or not. The reason they get so expensive is that they are fairly scarce. I don’t have a tuner and I haven’t regretted it one bit. In fact, if I’d bought one I’d probably be upset at having spent the money. As it is I have a second head unit I can use for radio which I tried briefly about a week ago and just found out it’s broken. I hadn’t used it in the last year so I don’t know when it happened, but now it only works very intermittently. The funny thing is, I could care less!

#191627 - 12/12/2003 10:00 Re: I'm buying! [Re: jmwking]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
there is no other player on the market that is as feature rich as the empeg, or as extensible

...and how can you go to an owner's meet, if you haven't got an Empeg - it's your passport. I should think a Sony owners' meet would be a pretty dire occasion, everybody knocking six bells out of each other over whether they're on the side of the RIAA and the record company, or the MP3 and the player!