Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#285076 - 01/08/2006 22:38 PCATS wanted
eviltazz
new poster

I am interested in purchasing a tuner kit. I've sent messages e-mails to PCATS and get no response. Anyone know where I can get one or have one to sell?

#285077 - 14/08/2006 18:04 Re: PCATS wanted [Re: eviltazz]
KiwiBloke
new poster

Loc: Germany
I'm also looking for a tuner for my new Rio Car, either original or PCATS - can anyone tell me where I can get one? Eviltazz, did you get any answers to your question on this?

Incidentally, what exactly is the difference between the original and the PCATS tuners? I couldn't figure it out from the PCATS website, and the photos on their site are broken.

Thanks!

#285078 - 14/08/2006 18:58 Re: PCATS wanted [Re: KiwiBloke]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:

Incidentally, what exactly is the difference between the original and the PCATS tuners? I couldn't figure it out from the PCATS website, and the photos on their site are broken.

The only real difference that you'll notice, is that the PCATS is physically larger than the factory tuner -- perhaps almost double the size.

Cheers

#285079 - 14/08/2006 20:22 Re: PCATS wanted [Re: mlord]
KiwiBloke
new poster

Thanks for the tip! On the PCATS website, it states that their tuner contains "built-in expansion capability for controlling two 12V relay outputs and interfacing four 12V switch inputs. There is also a connectivity option for future upgrade kits which could add further processing and I/O hardware..."

What exactly does that mean - ie. what exactly would these two things give me, particularly the "two 12V relay outputs" and the "four 12V switch inputs"?? What advantage to me are they, what would I use them for? Sorry, when it comes to electrical and audio components I'm quite a newbie...!

Also, are there any other 3rd-party FM tuners that will work with the Rio Car, or only the original one and the PCATS one?

Cheers!

#285080 - 14/08/2006 20:49 Re: PCATS wanted [Re: KiwiBloke]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
What exactly does that mean - ie. what exactly would these two things give me, (...) Sorry, when it comes to electrical and audio components I'm quite a newbie...

If you are an electronics newbie, then these additional relay and sensor inputs and outputs do not give you anything. They are only useful to electronics and programming hobbyists who want to create their own special projects using those connections. This would require both designing the circuits of whatever was connected, and writing the software on the player to drive those circuits.

Quote:
Also, are there any other 3rd-party FM tuners that will work with the Rio Car, or only the original one and the PCATS one?

Only the original one and the PCATS one. (The PCATS one is a homebrew handbuilt replica of the original one.)

#285081 - 15/08/2006 07:58 Re: PCATS wanted [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
But I would add that you can always get a secondary tuner / car stereo and connect it to the aux in of your player. This is a matter of your installation, though - if you have space for another full radio in your dash.

#285082 - 15/08/2006 08:08 Re: PCATS wanted [Re: pgrzelak]
KiwiBloke
new poster

Quote:
But I would add that you can always get a secondary tuner / car stereo and connect it to the aux in of your player. This is a matter of your installation, though - if you have space for another full radio in your dash.

True, I could do that, but would rather not if poss.

Question: if I *did* use a secondary car stereo for the purpose of radio, and connected the secondary one to the line-in inputs of the Rio Car, what info would I get to see on the screen of the Rio Car? Eg. is it able to show the RDS info such as FM station name, assuming the secondary stereo supported that? Or would it only play the actual audio via the inputs, and no other info is available to it from the secondary stereo?

#285083 - 15/08/2006 08:57 Re: PCATS wanted [Re: KiwiBloke]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
That is not really how it works.

Line-in inputs only carry sound. These are like the ones you would find on an amp or such device. The outputs from another stereo would be connected to these inputs, and they simply carry the sound over through the Empeg to the amp that it is connected to.

When it is hooked up right, the Empeg will work just as it always has done. But now, you can go to 'source' in the menu, and then 'Aux' and you should now be able to listen to the Radio/CD Player/Whatever that you have plugged in. If your other radio shows RDS information, it will be displaying that. The Empeg will not be displaying anything all that useful (you could turn the visuals on or something).

Hope that makes a little bit of sense now. This kind of setup would look a bit like this.

Edited by sein (15/08/2006 09:02)

#285084 - 16/08/2006 16:54 Re: PCATS wanted [Re: eviltazz]
lockuplever
enthusiast

Loc: Tucson, AZ
I have one of PCATS unassembled kits. I bought it as a backup to my original tuner. Since I'm not using either one, I'll sell Patrick's kit.
PM me if you're interested.