Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#61863 - 21/01/2002 20:12 Custom color car carpeting??
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
I saw an ad for this stuff in a rice boy magazine a few months ago. Anyone know what company it is who does it? The total black in my car is a bit too goth for my tastes with the red dash. Or any way I could make one up myself? I'd really love a leopard print fun fur carpet in my car for some strange reason.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#61864 - 21/01/2002 21:54 Re: Custom color car carpeting?? [Re: Heather]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Strange reason is right. Mmmm.

I don't think making your own carpet is a very good idea. It would never be as form-fitting as something made with the proper mold for the backing rubber/plastics.

There are a few sites which carry aftermarket replacement floor carpeting - either made from reverse-engineered molds or molds purchased used from the car companies.

You should be able to find a few of these using Google.com. Search for stuff like "car upholstery" "car carpeting" "custom car carpet" etc...

I was looking only for the actual carpet material while searching, so I didn't save any of those links, sorry.

Bruno

#61865 - 22/01/2002 23:36 Re: Custom color car carpeting?? [Re: hybrid8]
charcoalgray99
enthusiast

I had this in my bookmarks. http://www.accmats.com/

Tom

#61866 - 23/01/2002 18:04 Re: Custom color car carpeting?? [Re: Heather]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
In my case, I have this ugly grey that I want to substitute for black. I've considered getting it dyed at one point, but my talks with carpet people had me coming to the conclusion the result would be stiff and smelly. Not soft as it is naturally.

Calvin

#61867 - 23/01/2002 18:19 Re: Custom color car carpeting?? [Re: eternalsun]
Heather
addict

stiff wouldn't bother me. I'm not sleeping on it, I'm putting my feet on it.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#61868 - 23/01/2002 18:22 Re: Custom color car carpeting?? [Re: Heather]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

In that case, there are fabric dyes you can get in spray cans. I know the fabric dyes will even penetrate vinyl and leather. I know a guy who spray dyed his black leather door paneling into a deep shade of red. Yes, it is kind of ghetto. Yes it is cheap.

Calvin

#61869 - 23/01/2002 18:55 Re: Custom color car carpeting?? [Re: eternalsun]
Heather
addict

Yes, it is kind of ghetto.

and leopard print fun fur isn't?

#61870 - 23/01/2002 19:09 Re: Custom color car carpeting?? [Re: Heather]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

I hope if you going to do leopard print fur, you're planning on a matching steering wheel faux fur cover and seat covers as well. :-D

Calvin

#61871 - 23/01/2002 20:56 Re: Custom color car carpeting?? [Re: eternalsun]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Calvin, I'm surprised you didn't refer Heather to this old post about the same subject.

And Heather, I'm a bit confused. I was curious what kind of a person would want leopard-print carpet (aside from this well-known example, that is). So I looked at your e-mail address in your public profile and extrapolated the location of your home page at your ISP from it (add a tilde in front of your user name, just like my home page). There's not actually a home page in that location, there's just some stored JPG files. Which is what I'm confused about. I don't understand the purpose of the photos stored there. It's pictures of... articles of clothing on hangars. With the price tags still attached. It's either the beginnings of a brilliant piece of modern art, or a strange department-store fetish that I'm not even going to try to understand...

#61872 - 23/01/2002 21:34 Re: Custom color car carpeting?? [Re: tfabris]
Heather
addict

There's not actually a home page in that location, there's just some stored JPG files. Which is what I'm confused about. I don't understand the purpose of the photos stored there. It's pictures of... articles of clothing on hangars. With the price tags still attached. It's either the beginnings of a brilliant piece of modern art, or a strange department-store fetish that I'm not even going to try to understand...

kinda creepy little but of detective work there.
Thos pictures are from cleaning out my closet on ebay a while back I forgot they were there.

I've never felt the need for a homepage.

#61873 - 23/01/2002 21:50 Re: Custom color car carpeting?? [Re: tfabris]
Heather
addict

And Heather, I'm a bit confused. I was curious what kind of a person would want leopard-print carpet

A wacko or someone with bizzare dept store fetishes. I just like leopard print fake fur. Can't explain the attraction, but then again the family had declared me as an eccentric by age 9. The whole black and red bit with the factory interior on my car is like I said "too goth" for me, especially since it's in a convertible, and, the rash of people in the past few months coming into the showroom saying "I want a white one exactly like the one outside" (used to be the combo no one wanted, there are now 4 within 8 blocks of my house). I feel the need to customize my interior a bit. I'd do the insets of the seats too if I could without interfering with by butt warmers and airbags.

And I stick mostly to traditional things like landscapes and nudes in my art

#61874 - 23/01/2002 21:56 Re: Custom color car carpeting?? [Re: Heather]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Ah, of course, how silly of me.

Didn't mean to creep you out. Wasn't really detective work, I just like to look up the home pages of the BBS users if they have one. Just to be more familiar with who I'm typing messages to. And anyway, it's not like one needs to be Hercule Poirot to glean a homepage address on a unix server.

You want to see really creepy? For anyone who's ever been on Usenet, type your own name into Google's 20-year archive of your own most embarassing posts.

#61875 - 23/01/2002 22:00 Re: Custom color car carpeting?? [Re: Heather]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

And I stick mostly to traditional things like landscapes and nudes in my art

Right. What I was wondering is if the leopard-skin thing meant that you preferred them to be painted on black velvet.

#61876 - 23/01/2002 22:17 Re: Custom color car carpeting?? [Re: tfabris]
Heather
addict

Right. What I was wondering is if the leopard-skin thing meant that you preferred them to be painted on black velvet.

Nope, photography. My drawing and painting skills are so poor it's embarrassing, especially since I have a BFA. Like I said, I have a thing for it and I don't know why. Could go along with that whole Bronx upbringing.

#61877 - 23/01/2002 22:29 Re: Custom color car carpeting?? [Re: Heather]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
In about 5 min of looking, all I could find was a site selling Leopard print seat covers and floor mats: link

4 floormats for $49
2 bucket seat covers for $49

Edit: Couple of pictures: front and rear..

Edited by Yang (23/01/2002 22:31)

#61878 - 23/01/2002 22:29 Re: Custom color car carpeting?? [Re: tfabris]
Heather
addict

You want to see really creepy? For anyone who's ever been on Usenet, type your own name into Google's 20-year archive of your own most embarassing posts.

That was a nice stroll down memory lane. Had a few good laughs from some of those old threads.

#61879 - 24/01/2002 16:52 Re: Custom color car carpeting?? [Re: Heather]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Hey are you knocking my red and black car? :-D I used to be into that leopard spot thing too, I still have a leopard spot rug in my living room that doesn't really match anything at all.

Calvin