Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#88371 - 16/04/2002 22:37 STP
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I just got back from seeing one hell of a rock and roll show.

I don't much care what you think about the band Stone Temple Pilots, but I think they're one of the only bands still really rocking out there. The entire set is one huge adrenaline rush.

I was fortunate to get in on advance sales for this concert. Fortunate because it was at the Norva in Norfolk, Virginia. This is an 1800 person, club-like place. I was a bit amazed that they were playing that size a hall because I think they're still a bit bigger than that.

The opening band was Home Town Hero from LA. They were really, really good. Sort of a cross between Green Day and Our Lady Peace, except HARD. Check out the song "Run Right Through" on their site there. It's what they opened the concert with. I am definitely buying their album when it comes out in May.

STP was nuts. Of the big bands, Scott Weiland is one of the best performers around these days. He had his usual gyrations and such, and the band was basically what they are known for. It was just great.

So that's all I wanted to say. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who dislike the band for whatever reasons, and I'm fine with that. I just wanted to express my delight in seeing that rock is not dead.

#88372 - 16/04/2002 23:49 Re: STP [Re: Dignan]
rearviewmirror
journeyman

Loc: Bangalore, India
I saw STP last year (Family Values Tour, I think). I have always liked them, and thought that the whole show was amazing. Was also exposed to Staind and Linkin Park (who were the opening acts).

#88373 - 17/04/2002 00:33 Re: STP [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
    I just wanted to express my delight in seeing that rock is not dead.
I'd be interested to know that STP was proof of that. I was reasonably excited to hear they put out a new album a year or so ago and then I heard that first song they released off of it -- the one whose video featured Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy, the Vampire Slayer) -- and it sounded to me like a slightly rawer (forgive me) Backstreet*Sync-Town song. I was very disappointed. Was that song not representative of the whole album or are you just saying that their live show still rocks?

#88374 - 17/04/2002 00:36 Re: STP [Re: Dignan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

"because I think they're still a bit bigger than that"

Don't be so litotish. They're huge. One of the best of the 90's. One of the best of all time. They're to rock as Chevy is to auto.

#88375 - 17/04/2002 00:46 Re: STP [Re: ]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
    litotish
Wow. Vocabulary word from English class?

By the way, it doesn't mean quite what you want it to mean. First, the statement would be ``litotish'' (if that's even a word -- I'm not sure you can get there from litotes -- litotesish or litotesy might be better -- but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt), not him. And it wouldn't be unless he'd phrased it as a double-negative or contrapositive. Like ``they're not that small''. And even then, it wouldn't really be ``litotish'', as he wasn't inversely exaggerating, as in ``the Beatles weren't exactly a small band.''

#88376 - 17/04/2002 01:28 Re: STP [Re: wfaulk]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Haha. I didn't think anyone would even know what litotes meant. I just remembered it from english class and decided to modify it.

#88377 - 17/04/2002 02:52 Re: STP [Re: wfaulk]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
And it wouldn't be unless he'd phrased it as a double-negative or contrapositive. Like ``they're not that small''.

Hmmm, dictionary.com seems to be split on whether litotes has to contain a double-negative, or whether any deliberate understatement counts.

Peter

#88378 - 17/04/2002 07:28 Re: STP [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I was reasonably excited to hear they put out a new album a year or so ago and then I heard that first song they released off of it -- the one whose video featured Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy, the Vampire Slayer) -- and it sounded to me like a slightly rawer (forgive me) Backstreet*Sync-Town song. I was very disappointed

Well, that whole thing goes to show what kind of state we are in in rock today. It was a smart move, frankly. No. 4 (the album with "Sour Girl", which is the song you're talking about), was actually a lot harder than the two albums preceeding it. That album rocked hard. They;ve always had ballads too, though, and because they had that song on there, the album sold.

Just take the fact that the album actually came out TWO years ago. Then take into account that they've released another album since then. There wasn't any big hit on that album (except "Days of the Week", the weakest song on the record), so nobody bought it and MTV didn't play it. Too bad.

So yes, STP is definitely proof that rock isn't dead. They can still get an audience, and people still listen to them. Good rock and roll is alive!

#88379 - 17/04/2002 11:26 Re: STP [Re: wfaulk]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi State University
They do seem to have gone soft, atleast in their videos and new songs, I havent seen them live so I can't contest to that. I beleive they have fallen into the Eric Clapton syndrome:

finally get clean of heroin and lose the impact of the music
before anyone gets mad at that comment, Im not saying they are not still great artists, but look at both before and after and you tell me that their music didnt get softer

#88380 - 17/04/2002 11:35 Re: STP [Re: dodgecowboy]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
IMHO the new stuff is a lot more mellow and mainstream. But, in concert, they can still rock out to the oldies. They definitely have a great live show.

I will be seeing them on this tour in Ithaca, NY on Sunday.

#88381 - 17/04/2002 12:14 Re: STP [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Um, as I said, the effect you people are hearing is not a change in STP's style, it's a chang in the state of rock these days.

You guys are only listening to the songs they play on the radio or what the media chooses to let you hear. Then you start thinking "oh boy, they sold out/went soft/lost their edge" etc.

I just said that No. 4, which contains "Sour Girl" also has some of their hardest stuff yet. On their 3rd album, Tiny Music..., they hit their softest point yet, and he wasn't even off the heroin then!

Go listen to (or download) the song "Coma" which is from their latest album, and tell me they've gone soft. Hells no!

*edit* and in concert, they're playing about 4-5 songs from each album, except for Tiny Music... from which they play about 2.

Edited by DiGNAN17 (17/04/2002 12:16)

#88382 - 17/04/2002 12:20 Re: STP [Re: Dignan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

I own all their albums, don't listen to music radio and hardly watch MTV. I am not a tool of the media, but I do believe they have lost their edge.

Purple and Tiny Music are their best albums IMHO. No 4 seems weak to me. And I can't really listen to the new one for any length of time. It does nothing for me. If they only came out with Core, Purple, and Tiny Music after all these years, I would be satisfied.

#88383 - 17/04/2002 17:03 Re: STP [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Aww, that's sad. I thought their latest was better than No 4 at least. Tiny music wasn't all that great IMO. I just find it interesting that you thought they lost their edge. I agree that there are a lot of softer, more melodic tracks on Shangri-La Dee Da, but at least they're heartfelt, as opposed to something like "Blurry" by Puddle of Mudd. And at least they're able to back it up with stuff like "Coma", "Dumb Love", and "Regeneration", each of which are as hard as, or harder, than anything on Core.

I agree that Purple was probably the pinacle of their career, but I still think they continue to keep it up. They'll never match "Interstate Love Song", but they can still put out very good music. Plus, how many bands have successfully put out 5 good to classic albums without changing their style at all?

Well anyway, we're more or less in agreement that STP is great anyway. I know you're gonna enjoy the hell out of their show. They're still on the top of their game.

#88384 - 17/04/2002 17:55 Re: STP [Re: Dignan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

"Blurry" by Puddle of Mudd
At least we agree that that band sucks.

They'll never match "Interstate Love Song"
Whoa! I think that song blows. I don't know where you're from, but the classic rock station we listen to at work plays this song like it's going out of style. I tolerated it when it first came out, but I can no longer bear listening to it.

how many bands have successfully put out 5 good to classic albums without changing their style at all?
ok

Well anyway, we're more or less in agreement that STP is great anyway. I know you're gonna enjoy the hell out of their show.
Oh yeah!

#88385 - 17/04/2002 23:23 Re: STP [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Haha! well, I still think it's one of their best.

I'm curious, which is/are your favorite track(s)?

#88386 - 18/04/2002 06:32 Re: STP [Re: Dignan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Silvergun Superman is a song that immediately comes to mind. For my more mellow side, Seven Caged Tigers does it for me. Big Bang Baby is also a classic because of the video. That video is one of the best ever.

#88387 - 18/04/2002 09:10 Re: STP [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Silvergun Superman is great. I'm also a fan of Army Ants. Wish they had played either at the shows I've been to.

For mellow on Purple I like Still Remains.

#88388 - 18/04/2002 18:05 Re: STP [Re: Dignan]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
Mine is "Lounge Fly". I'm a STP fan also.

MKI #017/90

whatever