Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#90075 - 23/04/2002 21:12 Newbie installation questionnn
warsaw
stranger

Loc: Colorado
I'm new at this, so if anybody can give me a little help I would greatly appreciate it....

I'm replacing the stock speakers in my XTerra. The stock midrange and tweeter are wired separately. I can't easily tell where or how the wires are split . My new speakers (MBQuart RSC 216's) have a crossover which expects a single set of input wires with the midrange and tweeter run from there. What is the correct way to wire this? How is the signal split in a component system with no crossover?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

#90076 - 25/04/2002 14:50 Re: Newbie installation questionnn [Re: warsaw]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
You need to trace the stock speaker wires back to the source. What you need is a full-range speaker line that the crossover can sort the frequencies out into into. If the lines to the midrange and tweeter are already crossed over, then you can't use them.

Calvin

#90077 - 25/04/2002 17:26 Re: Newbie installation questionnn [Re: warsaw]
silkysmooth_96
stranger

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It's most likely that there is only a capacitor (crossover) in the line that runs to the tweeter. The mid/woofer is most likely going to be playing the full range of sound. Otherwise, there would have to be a Coil inline for the mid/woofer. Most car companies only supply an x-over for the tweeter as it would blow if it tried to play the low frequencies, yet the woofer won't blow by trying to play the high frequencies.

You CAN hook up your MB Quarts to the original wiring, BUT you HAVE to make sure you use the wires that run to your mid/woofers ONLY. If the stock tweeter has a little capacitor maounted ON THE FRAME of it, then you can use the tweeter wire as long as you remove that capacitor with the tweeter!

Enjoy!

#90078 - 25/04/2002 18:36 Re: Newbie installation questionnn [Re: warsaw]
acurasquirrel_
enthusiast

Just run all new wires. Those MB Quarts like lots of power Im running 100 watts to each one so I really doubt the stock headunit is gonna be able to push them very well. I recommend you get a nice amp to push them. Just my 2 cents, but I do speak from experience. I have always recommended not using the factory wires especially with nice equipment.