Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#99609 - 15/06/2002 09:28 Record companies to lower CD prices? Yea, right.
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX
Found this link over on Fark.com, Felt like sharing it beacuse it does affect us

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=16112

Who here believes they really would start lowering prices on most CDs? I fdoubt they would, they're just going to complain more when they don't get 5Billlion more in profits than last year like they should have because they're not supposed to be affected by the slowdown in the economy like every other industry has been.

#99610 - 15/06/2002 10:02 Re: Record companies to lower CD prices? Yea, right. [Re: BAKup]
DeadFire
addict

Like the article says - "it's hard to compete with free". They can try if they want to, and they may even see more sales. But it won't last. It's quicker and cheaper to go download the songs on a p2p service and burn a cd or, in our case, transfer them to our empegs.

I rarely do this myself, but I think I'm a minority when it comes to how-I-get-my-music.

#99611 - 15/06/2002 11:05 Re: Record companies to lower CD prices? Yea, right. [Re: DeadFire]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
But that's what they're trying to change. What has my solution been? Get very little music! It's not a good one either. For someone who doesn't really believe in the filesharing and who also won't buy $17 CD's, it's really hard!

Considering that they're toying with the idea of selling individual songs online for 99 cents, these albums are actually cheaper! (unless you're buying Weezer ).

So I say it's fantastic. As for your question: no. I don't think they will. but what do I know?

I also want to share an experience I've had. Has anyone heard of the band Kyuss? Well there's a CD I've wanted of theirs for a looong time. And unfortunatley it's not easy to find a new copy online. I went to my local Tower and found it. $18.99!! What's that crap about?? Here I was, willing to bet that I was the only person in the store who had ever heard of this band, and I wasn't going to buy it, so who was?!? I went back a couple of times and the price never dropped. Recently I went back and it had been moved off the main display area and onto the lower shelf where all CDs are retired and go do die. This means somebody moved it, and must have seen the price, and still kept it that way.

The question I have to ask at that point is: who is benefitting? The answer: nobody. Not the artist, not the record label, not the record store, not the fan. nobody.

ps-then my girlfriend went and bought it for me for my birthday