Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#134143 - 10/01/2003 07:03 Fowler Flap design
ashmoore
addict

Loc: TX
Since this is the off topic forum........

Does anyone have a nice and simple design for a Fowler Flap mechanism?
This is for a model aircraft so needs to be small.

Just thought I would ask and see if there are any aerospace engineers on this board.

#134144 - 12/01/2003 23:32 Re: Fowler Flap design [Re: ashmoore]
CommOri
journeyman

I'm not an engineer, but I used to be a professional pilot. I've got over 4000 hours PIC and an Airline Transport Pilot rating. I guaduated from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University with a degree in Professional Aeronautics. I'm also an avid RC flying fan.

So, *maybe* I'm qualified to talk about this. The first question I need to ask is why Fowler? Is there a real need for the RC plane to have an increased surface area when the flap is in use?

Generally, I'd go with a simple flap design (probably split) for RC aircraft. It avoids the unneccesary mechanics of the more complicated Fowler design while still giving the aircraft significant perfomance changes in drag and lift.

#134145 - 13/01/2003 08:21 Re: Fowler Flap design [Re: CommOri]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I agree that Fowler (fully-aft translating Fowler flaps according to my prelim/detail design professor ) are really complicated. I would suggest sticking with a simple flap mechanism unless you are going for realism. If that is the case, this could be interesting...

What plane are you modeling?

#134146 - 13/01/2003 18:51 Re: Fowler Flap design [Re: CommOri]
ashmoore
addict

Loc: TX
Thats the problem you see! Fowlers have a great complicated mechanism that looks and works fantasticly when done correctly.
This is only partly for performance, but mostly for the "I made this" factor.

I am scratch building a scale P47, still drawing plans so far. Most P47s look OK with standard flaps, but OK isn't good enough.

I love all aero mechanicals and would love to build a Wildcat style retract set and fit them to my trainer just for the hell of it At least Robart don't sell em, so that makes it worthwhile.

There are plans out there for both, but where is the fun in that?
I have been using a trial version of "Working Model" to test, but my version only allows for five objects which is kind of limiting.

Edited by ashmoore (13/01/2003 18:55)