Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#135109 - 14/01/2003 15:56 Need help from a mac person...
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
So my PC at work is dead, and being that I work for a corporation comprised of jackasses, my new PC isn't here yet. Rather than lose money by being off line, I my borrowed friends powerbook. Since every PC in the place sucks ass, we have no burners, no zip drives, the only T3 line slower than dial up that I've ever seen (our IT guy is the owners newphew, and is about as sharp as a marble) and other such marvels. Be patient with me, I'm technologically spatstic and can barely work my empeg. Does anyone know how to plug this thing into a PC running Win2000 with either USB or ethernet and transfer files between the two (mostly .psd and .ai files)?

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#135110 - 14/01/2003 16:02 Re: Need help from a mac person... [Re: Heather]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
What OS is it running? Probably either MacOS 9.something or MacOS X.

Is there an existing ethernet network? If so, can you share files between your PCs with the network now?

#135111 - 14/01/2003 16:07 Re: Need help from a mac person... [Re: wfaulk]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
running OS X. There is a network of sorts, but there is no file sharing between PC's. The only common access files are the inventory and service records through ADP.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#135112 - 14/01/2003 17:12 Re: Need help from a mac person... [Re: Heather]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Well, MacOS X is good, but no Windows file sharing makes it difficult.

This should be easy:

On the Mac, open System Preferences, click Sharing, and check ``Allow FTP access''.

On your PC, open IE. Click on Tools->Internet Options, then click on the Advanced tab. Make sure ``Enable Folder View for FTP Sites'' is checked. Type in ftp://username@mac// into the URL bar. Replace username with the username you use to log into the Mac and mac with its IP address. Make sure to follow with both slashes (because IE is crappy).

To determine the Mac's IP address, first plug it into your network. Hopefully it'll get one on its own. Open System Preferences and click Network. It should show you its IP address on that screen. (If you don't see an IP address here, then you'll probably have to talk to your network guy to get one. Sorry, but there's not much way around that.)

Once you press enter on the IE URL bar, it'll ask you for the password you use to log into the Mac. Do so. It should then show you the files on the Mac. I believe that you'll then be able to drag and drop from and to that window.

Hope that works.

Edited by wfaulk (14/01/2003 20:31)

#135113 - 14/01/2003 17:20 Re: Need help from a mac person... [Re: wfaulk]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Whether that works or not will depend very much on what version of IE is installed on the PC and how it is setup. You may need to use a ftp client separate from IE.

#135114 - 14/01/2003 17:55 Re: Need help from a mac person... [Re: wfaulk]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
<a href="ftp://username@mac//" target="_blank">ftp://username@mac//</a>

If this were me I would simply use ftp://username:password@mac in IE.