Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#144781 - 20/02/2003 18:36 Exact Audio Copy - Setup Guide
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I wrote an Exact Audio Copy and Lame setup guide for another site and figured I'd offer it up for the members of this community. There are bits and pieces of information spread throughout this forum, but maybe this will help someone doing a search for EAC information.

Link

Some stuff about this setup guide:
1. I wrote it to be as simple as possible and it involves loading a configuration file. It takes care of all the settings for you.
2. This sets you up to use the APS or "--alt-preset standard" setting within Lame. You can change this to whatever setting you'd prefer very easily.
3. This includes the Dibron build of Lame. It is the only version of Lame endorsed by the actual creator of Lame. (I guess there was some ugly political split between him and the rest of the Lame group.) The mp3s created with this are a bit larger but don't comprimise on quality.

I know I'm messing with religion here, so allow me to duck and hide!

EDIT: Sorry for the rollover effect on the hyperlinks. I can't figure out how to make them only apply to the navigation...

Edited by SE_Sport_Driver (20/02/2003 18:44)

#144782 - 20/02/2003 18:51 Re: Exact Audio Copy - Setup Guide [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
EDIT: Sorry for the rollover effect on the hyperlinks. I can't figure out how to make them only apply to the navigation...

I'm no HTML guru but methinks what you want is a separate <DIV> </DIV> section for the navigation stuff, and a style specification which only applies to that DIV.

#144783 - 20/02/2003 21:07 Re: Exact Audio Copy - Setup Guide [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
You have to create a seperate style for the navigation links with class attributes.

So for all the links on the page you have something like:

a
{
color: red
}

a:hover
{
color: white
}

Then, for the navigation links, you create classes:

a.nav:hover
{
font-weight: bold
}

edit: oops, I didn't finish.
Then, around the text in the navigation menu, you put:
<span class="menu"></span>

There ya go!

Edited by DiGNAN17 (20/02/2003 21:08)

#144784 - 20/02/2003 22:20 Re: Exact Audio Copy - Setup Guide [Re: Dignan]
trs24
old hand

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
If I were you, I'd take all of the attributes other than the color attribute out of the hover and reserve them for text styles. You can remove the underline attribute all-together since links are inherently underlined anyway.

so, I'd do the following:

<style>
a:hover { color: #FFFFFF}
body { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; font-style: normal; line-height: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #000000;}
.topmenulink { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: bold; font-variant: normal;}
.bodylinks { font-size: 12pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: bold; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none}
.whitetxt { color: #FFFFFF}
</style>

For the links, all you have to do is put the class in the <a> tag. For example: <a href=[link] class=topmenulink>Menu Text</a> or <a href=[link] class=bodylink>general link</a>
I'd only use the span for the white text. The defined body class will handle all of the general text styles for you. Then you can get rid of all of those depricated font tags!

- trs

#144785 - 21/02/2003 00:23 Re: Exact Audio Copy - Setup Guide [Re: trs24]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Are you responding to me or the original poster?

Anyway, yeah you're right, I forgot to say to just put them in the link tags for those elements.

I do wonder why you would create a seperate class for the normal links? It just makes for more work and coding. The only difference he wants between the normal links and the nav links is that the nav links are bold. So then why not define the styles for all links, then create a hover class for the nav links? It keeps you from having to define a class for every single link in your page.

*edit*
Actually, now that I look at what you have, I don't think it will do what he wants.

As I understood it, he wants all his links to change from red to white when you hover over them. He also wants his menu links to become bold when you hover over them. If that's the case, your code has the menu links bold all the time.

Of course, this could actually be what he wants, in which case it would work

Edited by DiGNAN17 (21/02/2003 00:25)

#144786 - 21/02/2003 09:17 Re: Exact Audio Copy - Setup Guide [Re: Dignan]
trs24
old hand

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Yeah - you're right about the menu links. I was just assuming he wanted them to always be bold - that's how they appear in my browser. And the a:hover class I created will handle the white rollover. It'll apply the white rollover to all links. I made the separate classes for the two links because they are different in style. The menu links are bold and larger text as far as I can tell - and I styled the body links to be bold weight and 2 points smaller - to coinside with the general text. I just made a lot of assumptions. And I was mainly giving him some options to get rid of the font tags all together. Since they're long since depricated, anyway. But, of course, the styles just coincide with my personal preferences - which I'm sure he could care less about!

Edit: Ah - you're right about the need of the bodylink class as it is. I meant to put color: #CC0000 in both of the link classes. That's what makes them relevant.

- trs

Edited by trs24 (21/02/2003 09:30)