Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#172329 - 27/07/2003 23:59 T-shirts: An alternative to cafepress.com?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've got cafepress.com doing T-shirts for my new web site, but they don't offer black t-shirts with white text. Does anyone know if there's someone else doing the same kinda thing cafepress is doing, or are they the only game in town for that kind of thing?

('That kind of thing' being: I can create a storefront and sell t-shirts with no cash outlay and no setup fees, and can start selling as quickly as I can upload the t-shirt graphics.)

#172330 - 28/07/2003 05:38 Re: T-shirts: An alternative to cafepress.com? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Cool beans. Sorry if I missed it, but what did you eventually do for the whole domain/host thing?

#172331 - 28/07/2003 07:35 Re: T-shirts: An alternative to cafepress.com? [Re: tfabris]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
I think that there are technical issues with black silk-screening. A white blob needs to be laid down on the shirt before the image is printed, and I don't think they can do non-square shapes. I have a couple of shirts on Cafepress, and I've noticed that even with white images, they still print a huge square block on the shirt before doing the overlay of the black (like the equation on the front of the belay knife shirt).

#172332 - 28/07/2003 09:03 Re: T-shirts: An alternative to cafepress.com? [Re: cushman]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
That "off belay" shirt is cool.
May have to get one.

#172333 - 28/07/2003 10:12 Re: T-shirts: An alternative to cafepress.com? [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Sorry if I missed it, but what did you eventually do for the whole domain/host thing?
Donato's offer was too good to pass up. And he was a great help in getting everything set up and showing me how to do certain things that I hadn't done before. Can you believe I've never connected to a server with SSH, set up a mail forwarding file, or created an .htaccess file? I know just enough about linux/unix to be dangerous.

So anyway, I'm now hosting my MP3s on the same server as lrcdb. Kinda appropriate I suppose.

#172334 - 28/07/2003 10:21 Re: T-shirts: An alternative to cafepress.com? [Re: cushman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I've noticed that even with white images, they still print a huge square block on the shirt before doing the overlay of the black
I was hoping to avoid this by sending them transparent PNGs, but that's probably just wishful thinking. I'll bet they have the t-shirts pre-silkscreened with the white blocks so that they can do the printing directly onto them. Either that or it's some kind of a system with an iron-on transfer. Dunno, their web site is kinda cagey about explaining the system clearly.

#172335 - 28/07/2003 11:04 Re: T-shirts: An alternative to cafepress.com? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

That's cool. Hey, I've only connected via SSH once or twice, and I now realize I didn't even have to

I also only recently learned how to make .htaccess files, and was suprised at how simple it was. Are you using an online utility to get the encrypted login/pass? I thought that was pretty cool

And honestly, I don't even know what a mail forwarding file is. What is it?

Anyway, web stuff is fun. I couldn't program in my computer science class worth crap, and I'm sure my HTML is not as neat as it should be, but it works and works pretty well, and I'm able to figure out how to do new things with scripts that are given to me, enough so that I can live for a long while on them doing different things. I'm still using the basic PHP code that David gave me a long time ago, and I've used it on several sites for at least 5 different applications. You should try out PHP. It's fun

Anyway, I like the site Good luck!

#172336 - 28/07/2003 11:16 Re: T-shirts: An alternative to cafepress.com? [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Are you using an online utility to get the encrypted login/pass? I thought that was pretty cool
I'm not sure what you mean? I'm not doing anything with encryption or passwords on my site. I'm currently only using the .htaccess file for two things: 1. Making my directories non-browseable, 2. Making a 404 error point back to the root index.

#172337 - 28/07/2003 11:27 Re: T-shirts: An alternative to cafepress.com? [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I've only connected via SSH once or twice, and I now realize I didn't even have to
Ah, but you should.

#172338 - 28/07/2003 11:33 Re: T-shirts: An alternative to cafepress.com? [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Ah, but you should.
Sorry to get this OT, but why? Pretty much the only thing I do is upload files, and FTP is far easier for that, plus I don't think my host likes me to do it (I think).

I may be thinking about Telnet anyway, so that's probably the issue. But again, I'm only uploading files and occasionally changing permissions (CHMOD), which is all easily done with FTP.

Tony: how are you creating your .htaccess files? I was under the impression that the login and password had to be encrypted then placed in the .htpasswrd file.

#172339 - 28/07/2003 11:50 Re: T-shirts: An alternative to cafepress.com? [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Oh. Sorry. If you have no need for a login shell, then there's no need for ssh. Sorry.

htaccess files are used to make local configuration changes to an Apache web server. They can include authentication directives, but can include much anything else as well.

#172340 - 28/07/2003 12:05 Re: T-shirts: An alternative to cafepress.com? [Re: tfabris]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
It must be something to do with the way they handle all artwork in the same way - I guess you want somebody that takes vector files.

The NTK store has stuff like you want to produce:

http://www.geekstyle.co.uk/ntkmart.cgi

They use a regular t-shirt shop to do them which obviously isn't the automated system you're looking for.

I'll keep looking...

Gareth

#172341 - 28/07/2003 12:13 Re: T-shirts: An alternative to cafepress.com? [Re: g_attrill]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I love the "it works on my machine" code t-shirt.

#172342 - 28/07/2003 13:58 Re: T-shirts: An alternative to cafepress.com? [Re: Dignan]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
I don't even know what a mail forwarding file is. What is it?

If you have a shell account on a machine (and the associated mail account, say foo@bar) you can redirect mail arriving to that account to some other account (like an account where you read mail more regularly). Or just have it send a copy somewhere else, or to multiple places.
The very simplest form is just a single line with a mail address on it - that forwards all incoming mail to that address.

You can also have it process your mail through filtering/processing software like procmail.

This is all set up in a text file named ".forward" that lives in your home directory.
Another file controls how the procmail program should work, etc etc...

/Michael

#172343 - 28/07/2003 14:30 Re: T-shirts: An alternative to cafepress.com? [Re: mtempsch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Right. For instance, I have any mail that goes to geekhackfilk.com (regardless of its user name) redirect to my oronet address.

#172344 - 29/07/2003 22:11 Re: T-shirts: An alternative to cafepress.com? [Re: tfabris]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
but they don't offer black t-shirts with white text

looks like they do to me...

#172345 - 29/07/2003 22:17 Re: T-shirts: An alternative to cafepress.com? [Re: ithoughti]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Not for free, it seems. Nowhere am I allowed to select it on any of my pages.

You have to pay them a monthly fee to offer certain products, although I'm not clear on exactly what products are available under that fee.