Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#182717 - 03/10/2003 14:55 Good source of DAT decks?
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I've always liked DATs and have decided to purchase a new one. Anyone know a good (cheap) source of lightly used or preferably N.O.S. (new old stock) DAT decks other than eBay? Any good (again cheap) sources of new pro DAT machines? I've been looking through the eBay listing, but wanted some other options. I know that DAT is pretty much dead as a format, I think all of the remaining manufacturers have ceased poduction, so I was hoping to pick up a good deal on one.

Anybody?

Stu

#182718 - 04/10/2003 16:45 Re: Good source of DAT decks? [Re: maczrool]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
It really depends what type of DAT you're after. www.sweetwater.com have a tradingpost for audio equipment, there are a few decks and usually good quality

#182719 - 04/10/2003 18:24 Re: Good source of DAT decks? [Re: muzza]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Thanks! I've actually ordered stuff from them before. Didn't know they had a place to trade things though. I'm not real particular on the DAT other than the higher the quality the better. Pro stuff is probably the way to go, but I really like the styling on some of that early nineties Sony stuff- all those buttons!

Stu

#182720 - 05/10/2003 03:30 Re: Good source of DAT decks? [Re: maczrool]
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
I have an old DAT machine in my closet i would let go for cheap, so i could put it towards my africa trip and its a sony as well.

#182721 - 05/10/2003 03:38 Re: Good source of DAT decks? [Re: justinlarsen]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I also have one of the first-generation Sony DAT walkmans. Worked perfectly last time I tried, but the battery has gone south

#182722 - 05/10/2003 08:33 Re: Good source of DAT decks? [Re: maczrool]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

If you want buttons/knobs/switches, check out the latest portable DVD-RAM option from fostex. Records to a miniDVD RAM at 6 channels of 48k/16bit, or combinations up to 192k. It has USB & firewire and can download the audio directly into an avid system.
A steal at US$16,000.
This is the pro market though. It does funky stuff like put a warning tone thru the headphones if the levels are approaching clipping, and has input filtering on each channel.

Is that what you're looking for?

#182723 - 05/10/2003 09:39 Re: Good source of DAT decks? [Re: justinlarsen]
maczrool
pooh-bah

In reply to:

I have an old DAT machine in my closet i would let go for cheap, so i could put it towards my africa trip and its a sony as well.

I'm a little hesitant to buy Sony stuff, as it all seems to break prematurely for me, but I still think they have the best styled electronics out there. But I do have to ask, what model and in what condition is your DAT deck?

Stu

#182724 - 05/10/2003 09:52 Re: Good source of DAT decks? [Re: muzza]
maczrool
pooh-bah

In reply to:

Is that what you're looking for?

That's a bit much even for me. I really only need 2 channels. It's as much for nostalgia as anything. I've got a big pile of DAT tapes recorded on my Sony DAT walkman before it died prematurely and it would be nice to play them. As an example, I like the DTC-75ES and the PCM-500R. I'm just worried that they won't hold up- especially the consumer deck.

Stu

#182725 - 05/10/2003 15:06 Re: Good source of DAT decks? [Re: maczrool]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Take them to an audio studio or pro audio duplication shop and have them transferred to CD. Although DAT is currently the standard in pro audio, technology is marching on and mylar/rust based media is subject to deterioration.