Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#183525 - 07/10/2003 19:40 Bluetooth software?
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
This is a plea to anyone out there who owns the MS Wireless Optical Desktop Bluetooth.

It appears that Windows keeps losing my girlfriend's mouse (but keeps the keyboard). The mouse is undiscoverable by the "Wireless Link" function in the control panel.

The reason for this is that when the package was initially shipped to us, there was no CD in the box. I assumed I didn't need one, and proceeded to pull my hair out as I attempted to find SP1 and the special MS bluetooth update. This proceeded to somewhat help, as the keyboard and mouse were discovered and operated somewhat well, but every once and a while the mouse would be lost. I was previously able to simply tell the bluetooth program to search for it again, but it can't find it anymore.

So if anyone has the software, I'd gladly pay for the shipment of a duplicate CD, or make it possible to upload to my web server.

Thanks for any help I can get.

#183526 - 07/10/2003 22:10 Re: Bluetooth software? [Re: Dignan]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
I have the driver CD. PM or email me to get the details worked out.

We have this problem with this mouse on our HTPC, but my room mate is the one that always seems to fix it. I will ask him what steps he does to get the mouse back.

#183527 - 07/10/2003 23:46 Re: Bluetooth software? [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I think this might be a general problem with the mouse, as my Mac will show "Connection lost" with a mouse icon quite a bit when the device goes idle. Lucially, OS X seeks out bluetooth mice and keyboards quite activly, and refinds the mouse quickly if I move it around.

It's still being returned though soon, just too many problems with it for me to deal with. I'll wait it out for the Logitech one due out soon.

Edited by Drakino (07/10/2003 23:51)

#183528 - 07/10/2003 23:54 Re: Bluetooth software? [Re: drakino]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
It's still being returned though soon, just too many problems with it for me to deal with. I'll wait it out for the Logitech one due out soon.

Logitech bluetooth mouse? Sweet. I'm off to google that one.

Matthew

#183529 - 08/10/2003 00:07 Re: Bluetooth software? [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Can someone explain to me why bluetooth is such a great connection method for these types of devices to begin with? I mean, these are keyboards and mice we're talking about. Why isn't RF good enough? I get the impression the range is about the same. I don't get this crap from my RF Logitech mouse. It's never "not found".

#183530 - 08/10/2003 00:09 Re: Bluetooth software? [Re: matthew_k]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Ah, here it is. At $100 it'll have to wait behind the karma and the Canon 300D.

Matthew

#183531 - 08/10/2003 00:11 Re: Bluetooth software? [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I am guessing it's for the wow factor. Also I have heard some people are paranoid enough the they think someone will be able to pick up the signal from their wireless keyboard. Mine only works a few feet away so that would be pretty tough.

Matt

#183532 - 08/10/2003 00:25 Re: Bluetooth software? [Re: Dignan]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
for me they are ideal as i have a powerbook with built in bluetooth and when using the laptop on a desk in dual head mode drivng a 19 inch moniter as well as its own screen. Since powerbook has blueooth built in so i have nothing to plug in.

I use the microsoft mouse and the apple bluetooth keyboard.

Does anyone know if there is anything out there to let a mac see all the buttons on the mouse as scrolling and the right mouse button work but the others don't do anything

I also have the CD that came with the mouse if wanted but i am in the uk, i also have the bluetooth adaptor that came with it as i could not buy it without if anyone is looking for one.

#183533 - 08/10/2003 00:25 Re: Bluetooth software? [Re: Dignan]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

The real benefit is that you've got one standard receiver. At the moment, my keyboard and mouse both have seperate USB transmitters which I'd never carry around with me. With a bluetooth mouse, I'd buy the internal card for my laptop, and never have to hook them up they'd just work. I could also use the same reciver to connect to my cell phone and have the caller ID information pop up when I got a call, or even use my bluetooth headset to make VoIP calls. (The headset is possible, but not easy).

In the cell phone realm, bluetooth allows you to not need to buy new acessories every time you change phones. My car kit (which mutes the empeg and announces who's calling whenver i get a call) will work with my new siemmens S56 as soon as I get it, even thought I started using it with my SE t68i. The bluetooth headset will work the same way (though i don't talk on the phone enough to make carrying mine around with me worthwhile...)

Bluetooth is great. I'm not worryed about it catching on, as if it doesn't I'll be able to pick up lots of closeout bluetooth hardware cheap, and if it does, well, I'll be able to pick up lots of new cool bluetooth hardware cheap.

Matthew

#183534 - 08/10/2003 00:30 Re: Bluetooth software? [Re: matthew_k]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

That's understandable, and I was thinking it as I was posting, I just didn't know if there were any other reasons. I'm definitely aware that it has uses, particularly in cell phones, but mice and keyboards seemed excessive.

I believe I can get one of my Logitech receivers to receive signals from my mouse and keyboard, but haven't tried yet, so those two dongles are a bit annoying, mostly because they're taking up two USB ports.

#183535 - 08/10/2003 00:48 Re: Bluetooth software? [Re: thinfourth2]
drakino
carpal tunnel

i also have the bluetooth adaptor that came with it as i could not buy it without if anyone is looking for one.
Unfortunatly, being a wonderful Microsoft idea, thats not a full bluetooth adaptor you have. It only supports the keyboard, mouse, printers, and using a cell phone as a modem. So for most people it will be worthless, as they can't use a wireless headset with it, send files to other devices, nor use it to sync a phone or PDA.

And as you said, a bluetooth mouse/keyboard have the advantage for those with laptops to avoid a propritary dongle to use a cordless device.

And 10.3 sees all the buttons on the MS Bluetooth mouse and allows you to map them to Expose features. Nothing in 10.2 will see them, including Microsoft's own Intellimouse software. So now you have another reason to get Panther when it comes out.

#183536 - 08/10/2003 00:55 Re: Bluetooth software? [Re: drakino]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
I can't wait to get it panther looks good

As to it not being a proper adaptor bugger

#183537 - 08/10/2003 00:57 Re: Bluetooth software? [Re: Dignan]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

so those two dongles are a bit annoying, mostly because they're taking up two USB ports.

They're annoying on a desktop. On a laptop, they' just aren't going to get used unless you're at your desk. Of course, I've been using a laptop touch pad almost exclusively for nearly four years, so I don't really need one. Now, when they come out with a bluetooth wireless thumb trackball, I'll be first in line.

Matthew

#183538 - 09/10/2003 13:42 Re: Bluetooth software? [Re: matthew_k]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
bluetooth is great... but in this scenario Microsofts implementation of bluetooth sucks.. I have a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse, probably the same one described in this thread it frequently gets lost. The only solution to this I've found is to uninstall and reinstall the microsoft software, beat the mouse, remove the batteries bang stuff around unplug and plug back in... just silliness.

My main complaint is why do I have to go out and buy a different bluetooth dongle for all my other bluetooth hardware??? Microsofts dongle ONLY works with the mouse and keyboard, it's not recognized by widdcom bluetooth software which is pretty much the standard bluetooth stack.... So basically because I was naive when I first got into bluetooth I wasted 70 bucks on a piece of trash MS bluetooth mouse and dongle...

Advice take it back if you can and buy something other then a microsoft bluetooth dongle... you can get good ones for 30 bucks...

But basically, you have no advantage with a bluetooth mouse. Headsets, synching with a pda, synching to a cell phone, uploading photos from your phone, etc... are all excellent uses for bluetooth and are extremely cool... but the mouse? I just don't see shelling out the dough. Now if you could find a bluetooth mouse that was compatible with generic bluetooth adaptors, along with all your other hardware, then that would frickin rock.

EDIT: Looks like that logitech deal does just that! Sweet!

Edited by lopan (09/10/2003 13:58)

#183539 - 09/10/2003 14:14 Re: Bluetooth software? [Re: lopan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Now if you could find a bluetooth mouse that was compatible with generic bluetooth adaptors
To be fair, the MS Bluetooth mouse does work with other Bluetooth adaptors. I've had mine work on a DLink and an Apple bluetooth adaptor so far with no problems.

I just can't believe MS hasn't standardized Bluetooth in Windows yet. Having different stacks seems rather silly.

#183540 - 09/10/2003 14:18 Re: Bluetooth software? [Re: drakino]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
the MS Bluetooth mouse does work with other Bluetooth adaptors

Really, I pulled my hair out trying to get the ms adaptor to work with my phone, never tried the mouse with other adaptors.... I'll try it with my IO gear adaptor tonight.. I can't remember do they supply the bluetooth pass code (or whatever) on the mouse or somewhere in the packaging?

#183541 - 09/10/2003 14:26 Re: Bluetooth software? [Re: lopan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I can't remember do they supply the bluetooth pass code (or whatever) on the mouse or somewhere in the packaging?
This could be a problem. The mouse dosen't use a passcode, but can only be paired when the button on the bottom has been pressed. One key thing I forgot. The stack you use must support the Bluetooth HID function for this to work at all. I keep forgetting the multiple stacks on the Windows side, as on the Mac one all the adaptors out share one OS based stack.