Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#186566 - 24/10/2003 08:45 Anyone get the Rush In Rio DVD...
TheRhino

Loc: Aurora, CO
... And not get the second disc to work? I get the "damaged or dirty disc" error right out of the box. I'm wondering if this is because it just won't play on my Xbox, or that they have shipped out faulty discs. Nevertheless, the first disc rocks! Better than Exit Stage Left, if you ask me...

#186567 - 24/10/2003 08:52 Re: Anyone get the Rush In Rio DVD... [Re: TheRhino]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Oh wow! I didn't even know this was coming out . . .

//me goes over to amazon

#186568 - 24/10/2003 10:53 Re: Anyone get the Rush In Rio DVD... [Re: TheRhino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Damn!

Nobody tell me anything about it. I ordered it on the day it came out, but it hasn't arrived in my mailbox yet...

#186569 - 24/10/2003 13:02 Re: Anyone get the Rush In Rio DVD... [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Nobody tell me anything about it.
Rush zooms past Journey, 3-2

#186570 - 24/10/2003 13:09 Re: Anyone get the Rush In Rio DVD... [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

ROFL

#186571 - 29/10/2003 12:09 Re: Anyone get the Rush In Rio DVD... [Re: TheRhino]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I was going to get both the DVD and CD, but I read the Amazon reviews and they say the production quality on the CD's is awful. First, can anyone who has the CD's confirm this? Second, how is the sound quality on the DVD?

#186572 - 29/10/2003 12:29 Re: Anyone get the Rush In Rio DVD... [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Second, how is the sound quality on the DVD?
It is an accurate representation of what they really do sound like live. In other words, not all that great for the last 15 years or so. Their live sound used to be fantastic in the old days, and it kind of went downhill in the late 80's. On this last tour, the sound improved a bit, but it's not particularly great.

My problem with the DVD is that, despite having read somewhere that it was going to be widescreen, it's not.

And note that I don't mean letterbox widescreen, I mean anamorphic 16:9 enhanced widescreen. It's letterbox. Letterbox looks like crap on my TV, only a proper anamorphic master looks good.

But in terms of the performances, I think it's really good. I've only seen about the first 1/3 of the DVD, but I was really amazed at how well they were playing. There were some moments where I was thinking "Wow, that's the best I've ever seen Neil play that bit..." or similar things.

And the way the DVD is shot, edited, and produced seems really good. It's just the non-anamorphic letterbox transfer that's the problem.

#186573 - 29/10/2003 12:45 Re: Anyone get the Rush In Rio DVD... [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Well, I guess I should have been more specific in my questions. One of the Amazon reviews points to the CD's being too guitar heavy, with muddled punchless bass, "one dimensional" drums, and almost inaudible vocals. I'm guessing the DVD isn't quite that bad, right?

As for their live sound, I think the sound on "Different Stages" isn't bad at all. I wouldn't consider it to have any of those shortcomings (though I do think Geddy's taken a lot of the "punch" out of his bass sound in the last 10 years or so.)

So I guess I'll get the DVD's and maybe rip the sound off them and put it on my empeg rather than buying the CD. Unless someone tells me the sound is pretty much the same, which would suck.

#186574 - 29/10/2003 12:48 Re: Anyone get the Rush In Rio DVD... [Re: tfabris]
TheRhino

Loc: Aurora, CO
I went and exchanged mine for a new one. It was the disc. This thing must be selling like hotcakes. I tried to exchange it at Wiorst Buy on Saturday, but it was sold out. I tried again on Tuesday afternoon (they said they would get a new shipment on Tuesday morning) and they were sold out. I decided to go to another Worst Buy, and they had 2 left, so I lucked out. The second DVD with the interviews and different angles on the instrumentals is worth the price alone...

#186575 - 29/10/2003 12:57 Re: Anyone get the Rush In Rio DVD... [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

One of the Amazon reviews points to the CD's being too guitar heavy, with muddled punchless bass, "one dimensional" drums, and almost inaudible vocals.
In other words, an accurate representation of their live sound for the last 15 years.

The portion of the DVD that I saw isn't particularly guitar heavy. It comes and goes in spots. But the other descriptions are accurate. Although I think the drums sound fine as far as their mix level and some of Neils parts are very well represented in spots.

As for their live sound, I think the sound on "Different Stages" isn't bad at all.
Right, in other words, not a very accurate representation of what it sounded like to actually be there.

#186576 - 29/10/2003 13:00 Re: Anyone get the Rush In Rio DVD... [Re: TheRhino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I went and exchanged mine for a new one. It was the disc.
I should make a point of checking mine tonight to make sure.

Pity I can't get an anamorphic print by exchanging.

#186577 - 29/10/2003 13:05 Re: Anyone get the Rush In Rio DVD... [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Grrr. I guess I still have to get the DVD, just for the good stuff, and try not to think about the bad sound.