Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#189524 - 14/11/2003 14:57 GPS/Palm?
foxtrot_xray
addict

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I know a few on here (mlord, for one) does GPSin' stuff (cachehunting. etc.). I FINALLY nailed down a cable to connect my old, old Garmin to my Palm. I have software on my Palm where I can feed it a co-ordinate and it'll tell me how far I need to go, etc etc.

Fine and dandy, however, I was wondering if anyone knows of any Palm app that combines that with an actuall USGS Topographical map. So instead of just showing me an arrow pointing 'up', I can have an overlay of a topographical map with the arrow pointing up. (Or, at the very least, the topo map and a different screen with the arrow..)

Commercial or freeware, anyone?

Thanks!
Mike.

#189525 - 14/11/2003 22:03 Re: GPS/Palm? [Re: foxtrot_xray]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
The only app I know of is Mapopolis, but I have no idea what their data is.

#189526 - 16/11/2003 10:32 Re: GPS/Palm? [Re: foxtrot_xray]
Redrum
old hand

I just got a Garmin IQUE 3600 and am learning about it. Here's a forum where you can find out a lot of good information.

http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=fe1cf9109d21026de0ef9ae43d3baa89&forumid=108

The following programs seem to be mentioned a lot in terms of topographical programs….

Fugawi
Pathaway
GPSPilot
easygps
ozi

I’m also in need of an app like you mentioned. I’m currently leaning toward Fugawi but really know nothing at this point.

All I do know is that so far I am definitely NOT disappointed with my Garmin IQUE 3600.

#189527 - 16/11/2003 17:57 Re: GPS/Palm? [Re: Redrum]
foxtrot_xray
addict

In reply to:

The following programs seem to be mentioned a lot in terms of topographical programs….
Fugawi
Pathaway
GPSPilot
easygps
ozi
I’m also in need of an app like you mentioned. I’m currently leaning toward Fugawi but really know nothing at this point.
All I do know is that so far I am definitely NOT disappointed with my Garmin IQUE 3600.

Thanks! Yeah, the other response mentioned Fugawi as well. I'm going to be looking into it tomorrow... If I had known about the IQUE, I prolly woulda gotten it instead of the Tungsten, but for now, what little I need the GPS side of it for, it works.

Thanks!
Mike.

#189528 - 16/11/2003 19:01 Re: GPS/Palm? [Re: foxtrot_xray]
Redrum
old hand

Please let us know what you find out/choose. I'm currently just figuring out the features of the IQUE. Seems to be a lot of possibilities with a Palm/GPS.

I’m planning on getting into geocaching if I get the time.

#189529 - 17/11/2003 12:42 Re: GPS/Palm? [Re: Redrum]
foxtrot_xray
addict

Geocaching is fun. Mlord can attest to that.

Here in the US, I got for the harder finds - Benchmarks...

For commercial side of it, I'm looking at Rand Mcnally's "Topo Sync!" software. Supposedly it does just that, compatable with their "Topo!" series CD-ROMS which they sell of most of the US.

The shareware ones out there now it looks like you have to.. 'calibrate' - from what I gather, you supply a BMP/GIF/Image and somehow have to calibrate it when you load it on, so the Palm software knows it's "range" and "zoom" so it will correctly display the map when you move from your starting position. I don't know what 'calibration' consists of yet, I don't want to have to do any (much?) fancy calibratin' whenever I go to a new section of the state and have to load in a new map..

Me.