Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#190809 - 25/11/2003 11:42 Ok, who tripped over the wire?
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Couldn't access my mail for a couple of hours and checked the status on Easyspace - oops bit of a failure. The LINX graphs show a bit of a dip too:

http://www.linx.net/tools/stats/index.thtml

Typical too - I was just about to post a letter to Nominet to transfer my domainname to my own tag and set up the email on my own server here in the UK for more reliable access and Spamhaus filtering etc!

Gareth

#190810 - 25/11/2003 16:39 Re: Ok, who tripped over the wire? [Re: g_attrill]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Found out what's up here - the nothern leg of Sprint's "TAT-14" (a 640Gbps fiber) has erm, fscked up. Unfortunately the southern redudant one went south last month and hasn't been fixed yet...

Gareth

#190811 - 25/11/2003 21:25 Re: Ok, who tripped over the wire? [Re: g_attrill]
tman
carpal tunnel

Yeah. TAT-14 went and it's partially killed off US connectivity for quite a few ISPs in the UK and Europe. Not everybody uses TAT-14 though so some people are okay still.

Unfortunately TAT-14 is involved in a lot of my routes to the US so I've had to proxy off a colocated server in the states. I've no idea how that route goes but it's not using TAT-14 and I've not had any trouble *cross fingers*

It's going to be a while before they can get the ships out and repair the cable. Until then we'll have to wait for the routes to be changed. May take another day or so to get it all sorted though. People at Sprint must be bricking it

#190812 - 26/11/2003 07:05 Re: Ok, who tripped over the wire? [Re: g_attrill]
tman
carpal tunnel

A&A posted this about TAT-14 today

At about 15:39 on the 25th we lost connectivity to most US destinations as a result of a failure of a major transatlantic link, TAT-14. This is a 640GB/s link used by several ISPs. The link is a ring, and the South side failed last month and has yet to have repairs completed. The North link failed severing communications completely. At about 07:46 on the 26th we have connectivity to the US restored. This is circumstances beyond our control, but we are reviewing alternative transit feeds as a result of this issue. It seems ISPs which remained connected suffered exteremly slow connectivity as a result of the extra load via remaining links. Sorry for any inconveience this may have caused.

#190813 - 26/11/2003 12:32 Re: Ok, who tripped over the wire? [Re: tman]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Sheesh. The only reason transit providers see degraded performance is because they are too cheap to switch over to non-TAT-14 capacity. And I can understand the earlier cut not being fixed for a week, but having no redundancy for that long should be considered a crime!