Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#192702 - 10/12/2003 07:58 Super Bowl Halftime Show
russmeister
enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
Lingere Models on pay-per-view.

The marketing guys for Chrysler are, IMHO, chauvinistic to say the least. According to this article, they have been making controversial commercials for the past few years, some of which I have seen.

I just thought I would post this to see what you guys thought. Personally, I think it's despicable. This is yet another disheartening sign that our country has deteriorated morally.

#192703 - 10/12/2003 08:19 Re: Super Bowl Halftime Show [Re: russmeister]
mandiola
enthusiast

Loc: Miami, FL - Sioux Falls, SD
This is yet another disheartening sign that our country has deteriorated morally.

I have to disagree with you on that point. First off there is NOTHING wrong with seeing women in less then the average amount of clothing. Second off, this isn't the first or last time such a technique has been used in marketing. Hell, many countries feature women completely removing all of their clothing to attract viewers... even such programs as the news/weather/etc. Another thing that you have to consider is that the target audience of the super bowl is, in my opinion, leaning greatly towards men. Although I do know a fair amount of women who do watch football, I think most, if not all, would at least find it entertaining.

If the women don't have a problem playing football in lingerie, then I don't have a problem with watching it.

-Greg

#192704 - 10/12/2003 08:39 Re: Super Bowl Halftime Show [Re: mandiola]
tman
carpal tunnel

There used to be a low budget channel on UK cable/satelite which basically showed random junk. One of their "innovations" was to have a woman stripping whilst reading information from the stock market and another was to topless darts. It wasn't as entertaining as you'd think though

If you got a bunch of drunk guys together and told them to make a TV channel with whatever they wanted then that was what you'd get.

#192705 - 10/12/2003 09:11 Re: Super Bowl Halftime Show [Re: tman]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
One of their "innovations" was to have a woman stripping whilst reading information from the stock market and another was to topless darts.

L!VE TV - and it's back on Sky Digital 247 showing repeats of all the "best" bits!

http://www.livetv.co.uk/

Gareth

#192706 - 10/12/2003 09:14 Re: Super Bowl Halftime Show [Re: g_attrill]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
They had Strip Mastermind on the other night

#192707 - 10/12/2003 09:29 Re: Super Bowl Halftime Show [Re: russmeister]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I just thought I would post this to see what you guys thought. Personally, I think it's despicable. This is yet another disheartening sign that our country has deteriorated morally.
I think it's more accurate to say that we're letting our pre-existing moral deterioration out of the closet and onto television. We're just about the last country outside of the 3rd world to still have something like the FCC which mandates a certain decency level. HBO occasionally runs a show that shows all sorts of crazy TV shows from other countries, and if you saw it, I think you'd agree America lags far behind in the "naughty/raunchy/morally questionable stuff on television" department. We're just catching up.

I know you probably don't find that amusing, but the way you stated it makes it sound like America suddenly became morally corrupt. I think a lot of the "moral deterioration" is just publicizing things that always existed. For instance, in previous more "morally sound" generations, men were beating their wives and cheating on them, but the wives (in general) stayed around, due to the stigma of divorce. Now divorce has become (in the macro-view, at least) more acceptable, thus when a destructive marriage exists, there is a way out. Revisionist historians who believe that we were once a 100% morally pure society that's gone downhill simply see a rise in the divorce rate as a sign that people don't respect the bonds of marriage.

Some of the same parallels can be drawn to other things in our society that have (according to some) suddenly gone downhill. I do agree that in some cases, America (along with other countries) has relaxed its ideas of what's right and what's wrong. But it's not like you can place hard-and-fast rules on a society that doesn't want them. That will only last so long (how 'bout that prohibition thing?)

So, really, television is just doing its job as the common medium of the masses, and it's reflecting what is (and has always been, to some extent) already present in society.

#192708 - 10/12/2003 09:43 Re: Super Bowl Halftime Show [Re: russmeister]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I, personally, find it more offensive that people are willing to pay $20-$30 for a PPV advertisement.

#192709 - 10/12/2003 10:03 Re: Super Bowl Halftime Show [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I, personally, find it more offensive that people are willing to pay $20-$30 for a PPV advertisement.
Some people are, others are smart enough to wait until about an hour later when it shows up all over the Internet.

#192710 - 10/12/2003 10:23 Re: Super Bowl Halftime Show [Re: russmeister]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
> This is yet another disheartening sign that our country has deteriorated morally.

Depends on your personal basis for morality. I find most people's moral systems are not truly thought out, but end up being what they were taught or what makes them psychologically comfortable (or more accurately, what make them uncomfortable).

Personally, my basis is pretty simple, if it hurts other people it is immoral. There are some grey areas, but it works pretty well and is logically defensible. And in this case, I say go at it girls.

#192711 - 10/12/2003 12:08 Re: Super Bowl Halftime Show [Re: tman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
There used to be a low budget channel on UK cable/satelite which basically showed random junk. One of their "innovations" was to have a woman stripping whilst reading information from the stock market
Gee, I'm suprised that nobody has mentioned [url=http://nakednews.com/]Naked News yet.

#192712 - 11/12/2003 12:07 Re: Super Bowl Halftime Show [Re: Dignan]
ashmoore
addict

Loc: TX
hmm, I think I will leave opening that link until I get home !!

#192713 - 11/12/2003 14:14 Re: Super Bowl Halftime Show [Re: ashmoore]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Hehe, probably wise. And here it is, linked correctly:

Naked News

They're based in Canada, but that doesn't stop them from reporting on the street

Honestly, though, I haven't checked it out in a few years. I don't even know if it's still free. I saw a news report on them on TechTV recently, though.

#192714 - 11/12/2003 20:01 Re: Super Bowl Halftime Show [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

You watch it for the news content only huh?