Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#193610 - 15/12/2003 09:23 HTML / Web Help..
foxtrot_xray
addict

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I dunno if anyone here can help me, but I respect ya'll opinoin more than a newsgroups.. So..

What I would LIKE to do is have a page with an IFrame. (Or: Area of the screen with fixed height/width, with scrollbars if data inside dosn't fit.)

With an IFRAME, as I understand it, you need to supply a SRC= tag, pointing to what you want IN there..

By resons of Design Limitations (not set by myself) I have to specifiy all data in the SAME HTML page. Including what I would like inside this Iframe/Scrollable box. Any ideas? I'd prefer it NOT to be just a TEXTAREA, too, but that will work, if necessary..

Thanks!
Me.

#193611 - 15/12/2003 09:40 Re: HTML / Web Help.. [Re: foxtrot_xray]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
With an IFRAME, as I understand it, you need to supply a SRC= tag, pointing to what you want IN there..

By resons of Design Limitations (not set by myself) I have to specifiy all data in the SAME HTML page.
A blank IFRAME populated with Javascript's document.write()? Cuts out browsers with JS disabled, of course, but then using IFRAME cuts out old browsers anyway.

Peter

#193612 - 15/12/2003 09:44 Re: HTML / Web Help.. [Re: foxtrot_xray]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Hey, I was just about to ask this VERY question. What a small world (and great BBS)!

#193613 - 15/12/2003 09:54 Re: HTML / Web Help.. [Re: foxtrot_xray]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
If the content can be generated dynamically (CGI, PHP, etc.) then just reference different content from the url, the main page would be page.php and the iframe content would be page.php?content=frame. Then a small if statement in the page would switch what content is displayed.

However, your original post made it sound like you are limited with the technologies that you can use. Javascript is a solution, but it's a messy one, can you re-evaluate why you need to do it within a single page? It sometimes is beneficial to go back to the root of the problem.

#193614 - 15/12/2003 10:00 Re: HTML / Web Help.. [Re: cushman]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

In my case I’m generating the information dynamically in a jsp, which is then rendered as a portlet inside of Oracle Portal. I’d like to display the information within an IFrame, but I’m not sure what the best way to go about it is. Note: I really don’t know much about web page development, so any suggestions would be very appreciated.

#193615 - 15/12/2003 10:07 Re: HTML / Web Help.. [Re: cushman]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Actually, while we’re discussing the “root” of the problem maybe there’s a better way for me to do this. Here’s my problem:

I have a list of names that could be up to about 300 deep. The user should have the ability to perform one of four operations on a given name. Rather than display all 300 names and have the user pick one and scroll to the end/beginning of the table I was thinking I could use an IFrame. So that’s been what I’ve been considering- if I can figure out how to generate the “guts” dynamically. But if there’s a better/cleaner way to do this (other than only displaying names 25 at a time with “NEXT” and “PRVIOUS” buttons) I’d be interested in suggestions.

#193616 - 15/12/2003 12:58 Re: HTML / Web Help.. [Re: foxtrot_xray]
Anonymous
Unregistered

<IFRAME SRC='' scrolling=yes width=300 height=100 frameborder=1 NAME='blue'>

</IFRAME>

<script language="JavaScript">
blue.document.write("<h1>hello</h1> <br> hi");
</script>

#193617 - 15/12/2003 13:31 Re: HTML / Web Help.. [Re: cushman]
foxtrot_xray
addict

Yeah, I should have clarified, sorry..

The page itself is actually being created by a database report engine, which the STDOUT will be in plain HTML (which the calling script, done by my web-people, will take and redirect to user's browser). The report will be pulling basic information (what I would like in the main page) and then sub-items, possibly up to 300 of them (what I'd like in the IFRAME..)

If I were doing it in PHP, I'd do what was suggested, have a main page call a smaller page which each do their own thing.. However, I'm required (since I'm working with our custom database) to make a C program to pull information and feed it to STDOUT, where the calling script handles it..

The Javascript example may work just peachy, going to give that one a try..
Thanks!

#193618 - 15/12/2003 13:36 Re: HTML / Web Help.. [Re: peter]
foxtrot_xray
addict

With the JavaScript (which I may end up going for, thanks!) would there be a way to do it WITHOUT escaping any characters?

i.e. If I had (for brevity):

document.write("Hello. I said, \"Hello!\".");

In my database, I'll have the string:
Hello. I said, "Hello!"

I *CAN* parse it with my program I'm stuck with, but that would seriously slow it down time-wise, and would prefer a way around that..

Thanks!
Me.

#193619 - 15/12/2003 13:47 Re: HTML / Web Help.. [Re: foxtrot_xray]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
you could watch for the quotes and replace with &quot
but.. that still will use overhead somewhere

#193620 - 15/12/2003 19:24 Re: HTML / Web Help.. [Re: RobotCaleb]
foxtrot_xray
addict

Actually, that may just work.. better than trying to do a find/replace on the string all at once..

Thanks, ya'll. I think you just helped me solve my issue.

Me.