Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#211282 - 27/03/2004 02:28 speech recognition
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
of always been interested in voice recognition software, but it never really taken the time is that
About unreal tournament 2,000 for the other day, and installs Microsoft's beach SDK along with it. So I decided to play around offense table would happen.
Addicted couple minutes at this post, and then copy it to notepad. I've been dictated it to a web form. This is the end product but tried to follow the rules of dictation. Hear those rules has put forth by Microsoft
When speaking new other people will usually understood whether we speak slowly of quickly, lovelier softly. When speaking to a computer however, is there to speak in a more consistent tone. when you talk to computer:

Speaking inconsistent, leveled tone. Speaking to welfare to soften makes it difficult for your computer to understand will set .
Use a consistent rate of speech; do not seek to slowly here to quickly.
Speak without pausing between words; and if it is easier for the computer and interpret them a single word.
Because we do not usually need to think about how we speak, and might seem a little awkward at first we talked to computer. With low practice, however, speaking do computer we come more natural.

While suspense in time train my profile before playing with the dictation. That was boring. I ended up falling asleep made sense and taking 1.5 hour net

#211283 - 27/03/2004 05:51 Re: speech recognition [Re: RobotCaleb]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
This is great ... I was about 3 sentences in and wondering what in the hell was wrong with you and then put it together This reminds me of the Simpson's that made fun of the Newton's handwriting recognition.

#211284 - 27/03/2004 05:58 Re: speech recognition [Re: RobotCaleb]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

lol, I only understand now. I'm so slow.

#211285 - 27/03/2004 06:55 Re: speech recognition [Re: RobotCaleb]
Armin
journeyman

Loc: New England
But seriously, anyone using speech recognition with a little more success than customsex?

Armin

#211286 - 27/03/2004 07:57 Re: speech recognition [Re: Armin]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
The architectural firm that I used to work for purchased some digital voice recorders and some speech recognition software in hopes that verbal notes taken on job sites would be able to be transcribed into digital format without the assistance of a secretary. The only problem was that nearly everyone in the firm was born and raised in North Carolina, so their southern drawls garbled up the speech recognition software. And since I wasn't from NC and had a nice, even tone of speech, I was the only one who could master the slow and deliberate tone that the SRS could use. Granted, I didn't wan't to trek around on jobsites as the boss's personal orator, so he just went back to the secretary method.

#211287 - 27/03/2004 09:04 Re: speech recognition [Re: RobotCaleb]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

since people have gotten a chance to be confused by the first, i will now post the original that i was reading from. ive actually been very impressed with it so far. the above example reads like engrish because i deliberately spoke too fast for it to recognize what i said accurately. when speaking a little slower id say that it has about a 95% accuracy rate on recognizing the words that i say.
original :

ive always been interested in voice recognition software, but have never really taken the time to use iti bought unreal tournament 2004 the other day, and it installs the microsoft speech sdk along with it. so I decided to play around with that and see what would happen.
i took a couple minutes to type this post, and then copied it to notepad. i then dictated it to the webform. this is the end product
i tried to follow the rules of dictation. here are those rules as put forth by microsoft

When speaking to other people, we are usually understood whether we speak slowly or quickly, loudly or softly. When speaking to a computer, however, it is better to speak in a more consistent tone. When you talk to your computer:

Speak in a consistent, level tone. Speaking too loudly or too softly makes it difficult for the computer to interpret what was said.
Use a consistent rate of speech; do not speak too slowly or too quickly.
Speak without pausing between words; a phrase is easier for the computer to interpret than a single word.
Because we do not usually need to think about how we speak, it might seem a little awkward at first when you talk to your

computer. With a little practice, however, speaking to your computer will become more natural.

i also spent some time training my profile before playing with the dictation. that was boring. i ended up falling asleep mid-sentence and taking a 1.5 hour nap.

#211288 - 27/03/2004 11:51 Re: speech recognition [Re: RobotCaleb]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It's not easy to wreck a nice beach.

#211289 - 28/03/2004 15:32 Re: speech recognition [Re: RobotCaleb]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Did you also teach it your trademark lack of capitalization or did you have to run it through a filter first?

#211290 - 28/03/2004 23:17 Re: speech recognition [Re: wfaulk]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

actually, it seems to try to be smart about capitalizing
i havent read the documentation on it yet, so im not sure how it works exactly. but i have to tell it where to place commas, periods and new lines. i tried telling it when to place parentheses but it always ended up putting an open parenthese and then what it hears after 'open paren'
(edit: i just figured out that i only have to say 'open paren' and 'close paren'. thanks, bitt!)

observe :

(to see this is what it looks like) to see

that was me saying 'open parenthese this is what it looks like close parenthese'

if i say 'enter' it sends an 'enter' keypress
im still learning how to use it properly. it seems to capitalize after i say 'period' and also to capitalize any words that it recognizes as a name

#211291 - 29/03/2004 08:09 Re: speech recognition [Re: RobotCaleb]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
actually, it seems to try to be smart about capitalizing
Well, if you're using the speech recognition for your posts in this thread (I assume you are), then I don't think it's doing a very good job with capitalization. Only half of the words after a period are capitalized (none at all in your last post), and it seems to never capitalize "I", which I would think would be pretty clear and simple.

Of course, if it's you writing the posts, then hello Mr cummings

#211292 - 29/03/2004 09:02 Re: speech recognition [Re: RobotCaleb]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Umm, the singular of parentheses is parenthesis, pronounced puh-ren-thuh-sis. There's no "ee" sound at the end.

#211293 - 29/03/2004 09:10 Re: speech recognition [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Ah, what would we ever do without you, Bitt?

I thought of you during last night's Sopranos. Jennifer Melfi was reading a card from Tony aloud, pointing out the grammatical mistakes...

#211294 - 29/03/2004 09:14 Re: speech recognition [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Ah, more Sopranos excitement -- a list of grammatical errors. Why, again, do people find this show entertaining?

#211295 - 29/03/2004 09:34 Re: speech recognition [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Why, again, do people find this show entertaining?
Lately, I watch it only because it's a soap opera I'm addicted to.

Initially, I watched it for the same reasons I'm watching The West Wing now: Extremely good writing, production, and acting, keeping me on my toes and riveted. As well as the moments of dark humor.

And the scene with Melfi reading the note was very funny. It wasn't the grammatical errors that made the scene good, it was her delivery.

Hm. Makes me wonder. I don't see the show as being as funny lately as it's been in the past. Anyone: Have there been any really good one-liners in the series lately? I only remember good ones from the first couple of seasons. Anyone remember these?

"The feds are so far up my ass, I can taste Brylcreem."
"I think it's time for you to start to seriously consider salads."
"And I wanna fuck Angie Dickinson. What's your point?"

#211296 - 29/03/2004 16:59 Re: speech recognition [Re: tfabris]
TigerJimmy
old hand

My favorite one liner is from a much earlier season when Tony pays Vin (the crooked vice cop) for some information. He hands him the money and says, "go buy yourself an iron."