Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#225345 - 29/06/2004 18:46 Things to do in Florida
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
This October, Jen and I are in Miami for a friend's wedding. We're going to make a bit of a holiday of it, so we're coming over a week before, and staying a week later.

For the first week, we're planning on driving down to the Florida Keys, and we've got to be back in Miami for Wednesday.

For the second week, we're thinking of driving up Orlando way, and then maybe making our way back to Miami via the Gulf Coast, spending a couple of days there.

So, my question: Any recommendations of things to see/do or places to stay in the Keys? And the same question for the following week. What's near Orlando that's good to see? Should we skip Orlando entirely and do something else?

#225346 - 29/06/2004 19:08 Re: Things to do in Florida [Re: Roger]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
The bird sanctuary on Isla Morada is worth a visit. It's about an hour's worth of diversion.

-Zeke

#225347 - 29/06/2004 19:10 Re: Things to do in Florida [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
There's basically nothing in Orlando besides theme parks. IMO, most of Florida is a geographically uninteresting dump full of rednecks. Southern Florida is by far more cultured, I suppose, though you'll find a large number of strip clubs everywhere you go (except Orlando, probably, which Disney, et al. like to keep clean). If I were you, and I was forced to go to Florida (and thank God it isn't in the summer and pray that it's a cool autumn), I'd stay in the Keys as much as possible, or maybe Miami if you like it, which I don't.

#225348 - 29/06/2004 19:13 Re: Things to do in Florida [Re: Roger]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

You have to do either SCUBA or snorkelling in the keys. Key Largo is the place to be for that - that's where James Bond always goes so it must be good . Seriously though, it is considered by the locals to be the dive capital of the World. If that's too much activity, then a glass bottomed boat trip is a (poor IMO) substitute. Maybe you fancy a days fishing. All of these are best done on Key Largo.
The African Queen boat is also on Key Largo IIRC. It wasn't open when I was there in 2000 though.

At Key West, the shipwreck treasure museum is well worth a visit. Lots of recovered valuables on display. Also consider a sunset catermaran trip that is a pleasant way of killing a couple of hours. If you're into literature then visit Hemingway's house. Some good bars in Key West. Check for any festivals - Key West can be a party town.

There's not any big beaches in the Keys. Small muddy bays amongst the rocks is basically it. So save your beach time for the mainland. Miami's South Beach is supposed to rock. Tampa Bay also has lovely sandy beaches with very warm water (Gulf of Mexico, protected from the Atlantic)

Orlando, there's obviously Disney World, Epcot, that big movie-set themed park (which studio...can't remember), Gatorland (worth a visit), and IIRC, a Busch Gardens.

The Kennedy Space Center isn't far away and worth the trip. Check the launch schedules online to see if anything is going up around that time.

#225349 - 29/06/2004 19:16 Re: Things to do in Florida [Re: Roger]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I'd highly recommend going to the Kennedy Space Center. You can still see lots of 1960's technology, rather than the Disney-esque artificial experience at Space Center Houston. Otherwise, my own temptation would be to stay away from the big tourist destinations. To me, the best parts of the east coast of Florida are the amazing beaches and water (try going diving for a day...), and some of the fantastic kitsch. South Beach Miami is practically the art deco capital of the world. Also, your adventure isn't complete without eating lots of weird food. Make sure you find some good Cuban and/or Haitan restaurants.

It's been a long time since I was last in Key West, but I remember it being relatively quiet, and having some very good restaurants. Needless to say, eat the Key Lime Pie early and often.

I've never been to Tampa or anywhere else on Florida's gulf coast. I'm told that, while the east coast is populated with retired northeasteners, the west coast is populated with retired midwesterners. I suppose that means you'll find less good deli in Tampa, but people will be noticably more polite. Of course, the Spanish-speaking population is sufficiently strong in Florida that they really set the tone for many things.

If you're looking for other things to do, and you're into salsa dancing, you should know that Miami is one of the biggest cities for salsa. You've got plenty of options there to keep you busy.

#225350 - 29/06/2004 19:24 Re: Things to do in Florida [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Key Lime Pie
Speaking of which, the number of places that serve Key Lime Pie with whipped cream is really starting to irritate me.

Key Lime Pie was invented by people living in the Keys specifically because they didn't have fresh dairy. Putting whipped cream on it is sacrilege, IMO. Of course, the fact that I hate whipped cream (even the real stuff, much more so the fake) doesn't help my opinion.

#225351 - 30/06/2004 01:48 Re: Things to do in Florida [Re: Roger]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA

#225352 - 30/06/2004 02:04 Re: Things to do in Florida [Re: Roger]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Something else you might want to consider. Key West has a small airport if you like dinky planes and don't want to have to drive as much. You should be able to rent there and return to Miami.

#225353 - 30/06/2004 09:06 Re: Things to do in Florida [Re: Roger]
maurij

As a native floridian (actually living in london at the moment) here is what i suggest.

avoid orlando, unless you want to go to the theme parks. if you do want to go ask if someone at one your hotel or one of your mates can get you a florida resident discount. its much cheaper and not all the tourist know about the availability.

I highly recommend the diving/snorkeling in Key West. Key Largo is nice, but so are the reefs off of Key West proper. i would also recommend the Key West Diving Society dive shop for that sort of thing. I found them very professional and very nice in the past. Also in the Keys are some beautiful beaches (one, the island next to key west, was rated in the tip 10 of US beaches). so don't be in a hurry to just get down to key west. renting a convertible on the way down is a must.

I'm from tampa orignally and unless you fancy Bush Gardens, there is no need to go there. The water around tampa, st pete, and clearwater do not live up to the reputation. i find the water to be murky and poluted from the cruise and port traffic. But i would check out the south west coast. From Naples to Sarasota. sarasota is just south of tampa, but has some incredible beaches and has a very laid back florida feels to it. don't forget the ringling bros museum there. for ref, tampa and miami are about 5hrs drive apart, so keep that in mind.

its worth driving down alligator ally which is a section of I-75 that crosses the southern part of the everglades. there are literally hundreds of alligators sunning themselves on the side of the road. you won't forget it. you could also stop and go for an everglades airboat tour. be warned! you may get the feeling you are an extra in Deliverance. and you will know why bitt calls florida a "dump full of rednecks."

Don't forget the food, especially in the keys. IMO it is some of the best seafood in the world. i always make a point of eating well in miami and the keys. you are doing nothing but depriving yourself if you don't. Also, there is a rich Cuban heritage that goes back to the late 1800s in s. florida. i'm baised b/c i grew up on it, but the florida/cuban food is excellent (i appreciate its not to everyone's taste) and truely unique.

if you like to surf, or want to learn talk to the guys at the south beach quiksilver shop.

There is great fishing in florida too. There are restaurants that will cook up your catch. the taste of truely freash fish is completely different. you could even just book a boat ride around miami, you won't regret it. you can also go for picnics along small islands dotted around there. it would be an unique afternoon.

any more questions or specifics feel free to pm me.

#225354 - 30/06/2004 09:15 Re: Things to do in Florida [Re: genixia]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Quote:
Key West has a small airport if you like dinky planes and don't want to have to drive as much. You should be able to rent there and return to Miami.

I think that that's good advice, my wife's aunt and uncle lived in Coral Gables, so we've spent quite a bit of time on the keys over the years: You travel an awful long way with no access or sight of the sea., in a car

#225355 - 30/06/2004 13:00 Re: Things to do in Florida [Re: maurij]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
if you do want to go [to the Orlando theme parks] ask if someone at one your hotel or one of your mates can get you a florida resident discount.
Quote:
A coworker moved from Florida recently, and she tells me that they got rid of the Floridians' discounts.
Quote:
clearwater

Ooh. I forgot. You can go picket the Scientology offices!

Edited by drakino (30/06/2004 14:56)

#225356 - 30/06/2004 17:15 Re: Things to do in Florida [Re: wfaulk]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
Quote:
You can go picket the Scientology offices!

Ohhh good idea!!! That and some big bass fishing would be awesome!!!

One day I plan to go to FL and fish for BIG largemouth bass while watching a night launch of the Shuttle from the lake. But that dream is on hold indefinitely...

#225357 - 30/06/2004 21:48 Re: Things to do in Florida [Re: boxer]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
I think that that's good advice, my wife's aunt and uncle lived in Coral Gables, so we've spent quite a bit of time on the keys over the years: You travel an awful long way with no access or sight of the sea., in a car

I agree, but for some reason I'd say that it might be worth driving it once. October? Maybe not worst traffic season.

Other random Florida thoughts:

The Intracoastal Waterway (ICW) north of West Palm Beach and south of Biscayne Bay is quieter and more pristine than you might expect -- dolphins, osprey, all that.

Miami Beach is interesting. Less tacky than Vegas.

You need to get 2-3 Carl Hiassen novels for before/during the trip.

Clearwater, Gulf side is interesting, but not in any unique (IMO) way.

If heading south of Miami, brace yourself for ubiquitous, unavoidable Buffett cover bands. Reggae Buffett, Polka Buffett, Zydeco Buffett, Klezmer Buffett....

The population in the Keys resulted from somebody picking the US of A up, rotating it 45 degrees clockwise, and shaking it vigorously.

The Bahamas are reel, reel close to Florida. Think about that.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#225358 - 30/06/2004 21:54 Re: Things to do in Florida [Re: jimhogan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
The population in the Keys resulted from somebody picking the US of A up, rotating it 45 degrees clockwise, and shaking it vigorously.

Possibly one of the best lines I've ever heard.

#225359 - 30/06/2004 23:11 Re: Things to do in Florida [Re: Ezekiel]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Mmmmm, the Keys.
- Isle Morada is great for kayacking on the north side amongst the trees. Get your kayack at... Hm, Robbies or Jeffs, or some other simple name. I forget.
- Rent a boat for the day to check out the two disconnected islands; Indian Key and... that other key. One's on the north and one's on the south. I think Bud'n'Mary's marina will have boats.

- While you have the boat, throw down the anchor and go snorkeling somewhere, on the south side of the islands.
- Or, take a glass bottom boat out (but if you look at the glass, you'll get SO sick) and snorkel out in the open waters.

- Holiday Isle is lame. You'll have much more fun out on the water.

Have fun!

#225360 - 01/07/2004 06:18 Re: Things to do in Florida [Re: wfaulk]
maurij

Its been six years since i lived in fl, but i remember the fl discount is seasonal. Disney always offered it in the fall due to the slow season for tourist and school starting.

Yes, i used to go to clearwater beach when in was in high school and the name is contradiction.