Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#233444 - 14/09/2004 01:45 How many colors do I have??
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
A while ago I posted a question about the color depth on my monitor(s). I was saying that, despite setting for 32bit, it appeared that I was at either 16 or 24. The settings seemed to work out to accomodate this theory, and since it seemd to be a problem that happened after I installed my second video card (which I believe is 7 years old), I even tried ordering an inexpensive, recent, PCI video card. Sadly, the problem persisted.

It turns out the problem is something else entirely, but much stranger. It seems that Windows really, really wants me to have icons, in most places, with fewer colors. At most, it's incredibly irritating. I want a nice, attractive operating system, and something is affecting that. I'll try attatching an image of what I'm talking about:

That image should get across what I'm talking about. The problem seems to be affecting nearly everything: my desktop, but quicklaunch bar, my start menu shortcuts, and even my system tray. You can tell from the open programs in the image, that there's a difference between the Firefox icon on the tab and on the quicklaunch. The Winamp icon in the system tray isn't what the options screen is showing, and no matter what I switch it to, they all look like crap!

How do I know I don't just have poor color depth? Well, aside from the Firefox thing above, I recently found that if I try to browse for alternate icons, they look normal in the little icon browser! I mean, if the color depth in all of Windows is bad, I shouldn't be able to see a difference, right? Well, I tried setting some of the icons in my start menu shortcuts to try to force them back to the right colors, but they would switch, then the next time I'd open the start menu they'd be back to old look.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? I've been living with this crappy look for a while now, and it's really bugging me.

Attachments
232571-iconproblem.jpg (88 downloads)

#233445 - 14/09/2004 01:50 Re: How many colors do I have?? [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

This is what I meant when I talked about trying to change the icons:

Attachments
232572-iconproblem2.jpg (96 downloads)

#233446 - 14/09/2004 01:59 Re: How many colors do I have?? [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

DAMNIT!!!

This has got to stop. I swear I've been trying to solve this problem for months, a little at a time. A bit of research here and there, some experimentation, looking through options screens, testing some programs, and even replacing the second video card.

Well, as usual, it took a post on the empeg board to fix it. Turns out there's a checkbox in Display properties > Effects, and it says "Show icons using all possible colors." The thing is, it was checked. I tried unchecking it, apply, no change. Tried checking it, apply...eureka!

However, the problem still exists in only the system tray. I put this together to show what I was talking about with Winamp:

So, I still have this problem, but maybe since I mentioned it specifically, I'll find the answer in a few moments

Attachments
232574-iconproblem3.jpg (91 downloads)

#233447 - 14/09/2004 02:37 Re: How many colors do I have?? [Re: Dignan]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
However, the problem still exists in only the system tray. [...] maybe since I mentioned it specifically, I'll find the answer in a few moments.

Summing up my entire Windows experience, have you tried rebooting?

(I only suggest this because it's in the system tray, and new settings may not affect the system tray until reboot or login.)

#233448 - 14/09/2004 02:52 Re: How many colors do I have?? [Re: canuckInOR]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Very good suggestion. I'll try that once my current slew of operations complete Chances are it could correct it or it could put the other icons back into the incorrect mode

#233449 - 14/09/2004 04:33 Re: How many colors do I have?? [Re: Dignan]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I have had this very same problem for the last year to 18 months. I think mine is down to some corrupted data in the registry or somewhere else. It started happening when I had a whole bunch of other registry corruption problems.

I've just learnt to put up with reduced colours on some of the icons on one of my PCs, because it has 4 or 5 years of accumulated software installed on it.

#233450 - 14/09/2004 04:34 Re: How many colors do I have?? [Re: Dignan]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

Well, as usual, it took a post on the empeg board to fix it. Turns out there's a checkbox in Display properties > Effects, and it says "Show icons using all possible colors." The thing is, it was checked. I tried unchecking it, apply, no change. Tried checking it, apply...eureka!

Ah, I might have to give that a try when I get home tonight.

#233451 - 14/09/2004 04:52 Re: How many colors do I have?? [Re: Dignan]
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
You're not in Control Panel, Accessibility Options, Display tab, High Contrast mode are you? Perhaps with some funky scheme? Just a thought.
- Tim

#233452 - 14/09/2004 12:22 Re: How many colors do I have?? [Re: time]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
You're not in Control Panel, Accessibility Options, Display tab, High Contrast mode are you?

Nope, but thanks.

Well, after I rebooted last night, I got back into Windows and it was back to normal. All my icons were crappy looking. The same unchecking and rechecking trick did it again, but the start menu icons stay messed up. Even when I load Winamp after I correct the setting, the icon in the task tray is still messed up.

#233453 - 14/09/2004 15:19 Re: How many colors do I have?? [Re: andy]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Ah, I might have to give that a try when I get home tonight.

You might also try the registry key I just changed:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]

"Shell Icon BPP" should read 32

Of course, this doesn't mean it fully solved my problem. It did make all icons but the system tray the correct colors at startup. The system tray, unfortunately, is still incorrect. Also, even though the icons are the right color, the checkbox in the Effects tab is unchecked, which should mean they're 16 bit.

This is too confusing.

#233454 - 14/09/2004 15:20 Re: How many colors do I have?? [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
However, the problem still exists in only the system tray.

System tray icons always show in 4-bit (16 colors), depending on which version of windows you're running.

There is a hack to allow tray icons to work in 256 color, details here. I do this on all my desktop systems.

#233455 - 14/09/2004 15:56 Re: How many colors do I have?? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Excellent! That's that site I posted about on this board for the Who Lock Me program! I meant to go back to see what else he had. Impressive stuff.

Now I just need to figure out how to apply the patch. I clicked on the:
"-NEW- Windows 2000 SP4 : You can now automaticaly patch your Windows of any language. Click Here."
But that just took me to a page with no info on what to do. I tried the manual version too, but I couldn't find the entries they were talking about in explorer.exe.

#233456 - 14/09/2004 17:06 Re: How many colors do I have?? [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
But that just took me to a page with no info on what to do.

When you go to that page, it's supposed to run an ActiveX control which will patch your system. That page is also supposed to show screenshots of how you need to answer the security prompt to let it run the activeX control.

No matter, just go back to that page, and instead of clicking on the "automatic" patch, click on the "manual patching for suspicious people" link and do what it says there.

#233457 - 14/09/2004 17:10 Re: How many colors do I have?? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Naw, I just looked, the manual patching is probably too much for you... Editing and replacing explorer.exe in situ is tricky, and he gives no instructions on how to do that, he just tells you the three bytes that need to change.

First, make sure you're going to his Automatic page by using Internet Explorer and not any other browser. Second, makes sure that you've got the security settings configured to have it prompt you for activeX controls (as opposed to blocking them outright). That should do it for you.

#233458 - 14/09/2004 19:44 Re: How many colors do I have?? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I didn't think until later to use IE instead of Firefox. I'm going to try it now.

*edit*
Yup, worked like a charm. Thanks for sending me the link....and I thank myself for posting that link before

Edited by DiGNAN17 (14/09/2004 19:52)