Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#239237 - 27/10/2004 18:34 Poll: Secretary of State
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
No Clinton lover, I, but this just occurred to me on the walk back from lunch. Was it the pepperoni?
I am a registered US voter and I am going to vote for Kerry
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 27/10/2004 13:32
View the results of this poll.
As a Kerry voter, I think snagging Bill Clinton for Secretary of State would be a great idea.
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 27/10/2004 13:32
View the results of this poll.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#239238 - 27/10/2004 18:58 Re: Poll: Secretary of State [Re: jimhogan]
kayakjazz

Loc: Bay Area, CA/Anchorage, AK
Which Clinton?...sounds like a plan....

#239239 - 27/10/2004 19:08 Re: Poll: Secretary of State [Re: kayakjazz]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
There is only one, and she is busy with New York just now...

#239240 - 27/10/2004 19:14 Re: Poll: Secretary of State [Re: jimhogan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
It's not legal for a person ineligible to be President to be Vice-President because it's possible that he might become President if his President is unable to fulfill his duties. (Much like Miss America.) Does this continue down the chain of succession? I mean, Secretary of State is, what, third in line?

Of course, since Kissinger was Secretary of State not too long ago and he was certainly not eligible, I guess it's allowed.

#239241 - 27/10/2004 19:16 Re: Poll: Secretary of State [Re: wfaulk]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I always thought it was more than two consecutive terms - that you could take a term off... Checking... Nope. You are right - 22nd Amendment. But they did not comment about VP though... I wonder...

Edited by pgrzelak (27/10/2004 19:20)

#239242 - 27/10/2004 19:20 Re: Poll: Secretary of State [Re: pgrzelak]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Nope. Only two ever. The NC governor is two consecutive, though. Maybe the NJ governor is like that, too?

#239243 - 27/10/2004 19:25 Re: Poll: Secretary of State [Re: wfaulk]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Looks like fourth in line: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0101032.html

But do you just get skipped, then?

Looks like I am not the first to utter this idea, but can't tell from this how much talk the idea got (or if it would *really* be legal).

I was walking, thinking....if by chance Kerry did win, what could he do to improve his/our situation vis-a-vis the rest of the planet?

Edit: Ah, somebody cheated!! The sum of Yes+No in question two should not be greater than True in question 1. OK, fess up!!

Edited by jimhogan (27/10/2004 19:30)

#239244 - 28/10/2004 01:23 Re: Poll: Secretary of State [Re: jimhogan]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Well, on the subject of your poll...

I am a Clinton fan, and in some ways I think he showed some good leadership in foreign policy toward the end of his tenure. However, I think Clinton mostly ignored foreign policy at the beginning of his tenure and it was certainly not his strong suit, in my opinion. I think there would be better choices.

If (shudder), "W" pulls it off, who do you think is likely to replace Colin Powell? That is the scariest thought of his re-election, in my opinion. If another of the Rumsfeld-Cheney-Wolfowitz, et. al neo-conservatives takes Powell's place (as will most certainly happen), things will go from bad to much, much worse.

FWIW,
J

#239245 - 30/10/2004 00:38 Re: Poll: Secretary of State [Re: jimhogan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Hokay. I used the adjective "Great" on purpose -- to force any Kerry voters with Clinton misgivings to vote "No".

So, what are your misgivings/ Why is this not a great idea? I am sincerely interested -- not looking to shill for Bill.

#239246 - 30/10/2004 00:58 Re: Poll: Secretary of State [Re: TigerJimmy]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I am a Clinton fan, and in some ways I think he showed some good leadership in foreign policy toward the end of his tenure. However, I think Clinton mostly ignored foreign policy at the beginning of his tenure and it was certainly not his strong suit, in my opinion. I think there would be better choices.

The partisan persecution of Clinton by the right was a depressing national disgrace. While I could have remained positive about Clinton regardless of his centrist tendencies, I really *was* turned off by his disingenous, evasive responses to the Monica affair (he should have just said "Tough! None of your business!" or "Hey, a blow job! Big deal!"), I was maddened by Bill+Hillary's arrogant bungling of the chance of the century with respect to health care and I can not forgive (here's where we get to the can't forgive part) the pardon of Mark Rich.

My ersatz nomination of Bill for SoS is based on purely pragmatic grounds. A lot of the world really likes him. He could do us some good. I'm sadly trying to think of *anything* that will make our post 11/2 situation less sh*tty than I expect it to be.

Quote:
If (shudder), "W" pulls it off, who do you think is likely to replace Colin Powell? That is the scariest thought of his re-election, in my opinion. If another of the Rumsfeld-Cheney-Wolfowitz, et. al neo-conservatives takes Powell's place (as will most certainly happen), things will go from bad to much, much worse.

I don't share this specific dread. In my opinion, Powell has been a non-factor since his disgrace at the UN. I guess that we as a country may have derived some benefit from some other countries' perception that Powell, a "reasonable" man, has some sway in the Bush White House -- that they were dealing with someone reasobnable -- but I think that is an illusion.

Colin Powell, I never thought I would hear myself say it, but you....are...the....*ultimate* Uncle Tom.

#239247 - 30/10/2004 13:22 Re: Poll: Secretary of State [Re: jimhogan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Personally, I think Bill's little nookey on the side pales in comparism to invading and destroying other countries, freely violating international agreements of all kinds, and establishing a gradual but steady erosion of whatever "freedoms" citizens of the USA may once have believed they had.

Some things are more important than others in choosing a leader.

But hey, that's just me.

Cheers