Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#242735 - 29/11/2004 00:58 Outlook Express question
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
This is such a dumb question, I'm embarassed that I can't figure it out for myself.

I use Outlook Express as my email client (don't need anything fancier for my very limited needs) running under Windows XP.

I have the option of creating or replying to emails using "Rich Text" (HTML) or "Plain Text".

When creating a new message, "Rich Text" is the default. When replying to a message, it always seems to default to "Plain Text" as the writing mode.

Is this because the message to which I am replying was sent as plain text and the default is just mimicing that message? Or is there a default I can set somewhere to always reply in Rich Text?

tanstaafl.

#242736 - 29/11/2004 01:08 Re: Outlook Express question [Re: tanstaafl.]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
I assume you mean HTML vs plain text? Outlook Express doesn't (or at least didn't) ever support RTF.

Tools->Options->Send Tab

Set "Reply to messages using the format in which they were sent" accordingly.

and then "Mail Sending Format" for new mail format.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#242737 - 29/11/2004 01:09 Re: Outlook Express question [Re: tanstaafl.]
newguy1
enthusiast

Loc: Massachusetts,USA
If you click on the SEND tab in options there is a box to check that reads---- reply to messages using the format in which they were sent.Try unchecking that box.

#242738 - 29/11/2004 06:33 Re: Outlook Express question [Re: newguy1]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Try unchecking that box.

That was it. I suspected the answer was hiding around there someplace, I just wasn't smart enough to find it.

But what took so long with the answer? I mean, it was pretty near nine whole minutes from the time I posted until you and Shonky replied. Even for a Sunday night that's pretty slow for this bbs!

Thanks much for the info, newguy1 and Shonky. It never fails to impress me what an incredible knowledge base we have here.

tanstaafl.

#242739 - 29/11/2004 08:36 Re: Outlook Express question [Re: tanstaafl.]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
But what took so long with the answer? I mean, it was pretty near nine whole minutes from the time I posted until you and Shonky replied. Even for a Sunday night that's pretty slow for this bbs!

Well, perhaps it's because you asked for something that nobody would ever actually want to do -- replying in HTML to plaintext email is quite frankly hella rude.

Peter

#242740 - 30/11/2004 02:00 Re: Outlook Express question [Re: peter]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

replying in HTML to plaintext email is quite frankly hella rude.

Well... maybe a little bit, but all I ever use it for is to put italics or bold print on a few words here and there, and if I know the recipient does not receive HTML (I only correspond with about a dozen people, so I pretty much know) then I don't even do that.

tanstaafl.

#242741 - 01/12/2004 04:44 Re: Outlook Express question [Re: tanstaafl.]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
If all you ever use it for is /italics/ and *bold*, then may I suggest the old standbys? I find they do the trick quite well, and a number of email clients will highlight appropriately (at least *mine* does, anyway).