Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#266038 - 26/09/2005 00:01 Since this board seems to know everything...
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
I want another tattoo. One of those black light ones that's invisible under regular light. What I want is a replica of a section of Keith Haring's mural on the Berlin wall. Problem is, I cant find any good flat images of the wall to have something an artist can work off of. I've tried searching the web, my own books, contacting the Keith Haring foundation, but no luck. The only stone left unturned is the Warhol foundation, but I don't have high hopes for that one.

Is there anyone here who knows where I could find such pictures? Or anyone who's really good with Illustrator who could reproduce it? Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#266039 - 26/09/2005 01:16 Re: Since this board seems to know everything... [Re: Heather]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Quote:
One of those black light ones that's invisible under regular light.

Sorry, I can't help with your actual request, but that sounds really cool. I didn't know such a thing existed. So what do they look like under black light? Can you do actual colors or is it basically black and white? Anyway, good luck finding your artwork.

-Mike

#266040 - 26/09/2005 01:47 Re: Since this board seems to know everything... [Re: Heather]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Have you poked through coffee-table art books? Somewhere, somebody must have printed a Harring art book. Even if it's out of print, you can probably find one in a library. If you do some digging, you might even be able to find an art book on the Berlin Wall, itself.

#266041 - 26/09/2005 03:04 Re: Since this board seems to know everything... [Re: mcomb]
Heather
addict

Quote:
So what do they look like under black light? Can you do actual colors or is it basically black and white?

There are colors available, but i'm going for the white ink, which usually is virtually indetectable under normal light on pale people. This willl be tested in an inconspicuous area before I go ahead and do my wrist. Photos are here. I'm looking to do something like the lizzard on the back of the hand thing.

Quote:
Have you poked through coffee-table art books? Somewhere, somebody must have printed a Harring art book

Several Haring books are out there, I own a bunch. All the same damn angled photo. Which is really starting to tick me off, I figured this would be the easiest of his destroyed works to find a good photo of.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#266042 - 26/09/2005 04:16 Re: Since this board seems to know everything... [Re: Heather]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Quote:
Quote:
So what do they look like under black light? Can you do actual colors or is it basically black and white?

There are colors available, but i'm going for the white ink, which usually is virtually indetectable under normal light on pale people. This willl be tested in an inconspicuous area before I go ahead and do my wrist. Photos are here. I'm looking to do something like the lizzard on the back of the hand thing.

That is pretty f'ing cool. I'm all the sudden very tempted to get a tattoo that nobody would notice 99% of the time (says the guy that needs to be presentable in real life). Share some pics if you do it.

-Mike

#266043 - 26/09/2005 04:37 Re: Since this board seems to know everything... [Re: Heather]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
If you can find something with decent resolution, it could be digitally massaged to acceptable form. Attached is a result of a quick "perspective correction" of your image in PSP9.

Attachments
265996-keith3a.jpg (185 downloads)

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#266044 - 26/09/2005 05:23 Re: Since this board seems to know everything... [Re: Heather]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Depending on how pale your skin is, you can get weird results. On of my wife's tattoos was done entirely in white ink, and the problem is that after a tattoo, skin heals slightly unevenly. With most inks you can't tell, but with white, you can see the individual layers where healing has taken place. She ended up redoing bits of it in orange and yellow.

Of course, there are the fluorescent inks, but they all contain mercury - pretty much a BAD THING!!
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#266045 - 26/09/2005 11:25 Re: Since this board seems to know everything... [Re: Heather]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Heather,
If you or someone you know has the latest photoshop (CS2), there is a tool for removing perspective. This might be useful for stretching the photo you have out of the perspective view.

-Zeke

edit: Bonzi beat me to it! That's what I get for not reading the whole thread before replying. :P

Edited by Ezekiel (26/09/2005 11:26)

#266046 - 26/09/2005 13:14 Re: Since this board seems to know everything... [Re: Heather]
frog51
pooh-bah

p.s. Very Cool idea for tattoo though! Hadn't seen it earlier, as I couldn't get pics through the firewall that machine was behind.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#266047 - 26/09/2005 15:31 Re: Since this board seems to know everything... [Re: frog51]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
If your tattoo artist can't reproduce the chain from that drawing accurately, I'd find another tattoo artist.

Oh, and you might want to read:

http://www.bmezine.com/spc/experiences/glow/

Glowing pigments haven't been around long enough to really know the long term results. Many reputable tattoo artists won't do glow ink tattoos because of this. Overall not worth the risk IMHO, not to mention it sort of subverts the entire idea. You will still be able to see the area the tattoo is done in, it's not completely invisible, and it causes discoloration of the skin.

EDIT... the mercury thing is untrue. there are multiple UV reactive inks that do not contain mercury. In fact I've never heard of any of them containing mercury. Have any evidence of that?

Edited by loren (26/09/2005 15:46)

#266048 - 26/09/2005 15:37 Re: Since this board seems to know everything... [Re: frog51]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
I love to look at tatoos, but I figure for myself, well, I have enough scars on my body that I have no choice..I know there is no art in a scar (except for the 'artful' dodging of a bullet or knife that caused most of mine). Plus our Jewish heritage frowns upon it (for obivious reasons). Realy cool blacklight process though...If I WERE to get one (and my wife may talk me into it yet), I'd go for one of those, except that mercury thing...hmmm.

#266049 - 27/09/2005 06:26 Re: Since this board seems to know everything... [Re: loren]
frog51
pooh-bah

Nah - no personal experience, just chat from my tattooists, which I guess I just took as gospel. Might have to go and do a bit of googling and report back:-)
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#266050 - 08/10/2005 21:28 Re: Since this board seems to know everything... [Re: loren]
Heather
addict

Attached is a result of a quick "perspective correction" of your image in PSP9.

Which is enough for my drawing challenged self to work off of. Thank You!

I'm all the sudden very tempted to get a tattoo that nobody would notice 99% of the time (says the guy that needs to be presentable in real life).

Uh, back, upper arm, shoulders? Or do you work naked? I did the suit thing for several years. If I crossed my legs a certain way you could see the ankle one. It kinda shocked people who didn't really know me because I "looked so conservative". Which worked the other way too, when some middle age dude would start getting undressed in my office to show me his. It's amazing the assumptions people make about what people are like based on job title and uniform. And something about a catholic priest with a dancing bear arm band cracked me up for a week.

Depending on how pale your skin is, you can get weird results. On of my wife's tattoos was done entirely in white ink, and the problem is that after a tattoo, skin heals slightly unevenly.

This one will be number 9, all of them have white in them. My skin is pretty predictable with white ink, heals fairly evenly, and after about a year or so, you can't really tell the white from my usual skin tone.

Of course, there are the fluorescent inks, but they all contain mercury - pretty much a BAD THING!!

Never heard this one. I thought everyone knew mercury was the reason the photographer and the milliner went batshit insane. I have heard of their being other types of metal particles in the irridescent and metallic inks (I've never seen a bottle of either myself), but never in the flourescent colors.

If your tattoo artist can't reproduce the chain from that drawing accurately, I'd find another tattoo artist.

Didn't even get this far with him. I've seen him work off of way crappier samples, so I'm sure he could. I just like to get my own hands on stuff and play with it before permanently marking it onto my body. The only tattoo I have that I didn't do anything with myself, while it looks great, kinda irks me for that reason.

He did insist on patch testing my skin, no less than three times, because he has heard that the particular brand of glowing ink he uses (the stuff they use to mark fish for tracking) has caused reactions in people with shellfish allergies. Not from the manufacturer, but via word of mouth. Better safe than sorry. He's also got work he did himself with the same stuff, which looks good at 6 years old. You can't see his at all.

Overall not worth the risk IMHO

This is where you and I differ. Stuff like that doesn't phase me, otherwise I might actually want to quit smoking. I prefer to keep my fears to irrational ones, like clowns, chewing gum, Richard Simmons, and heights.

Of course, before I go ahead with something so obvious as my wrist, it's gonna be tested out someplace inconspicuous first.

Plus our Jewish heritage frowns upon it (for obivious reasons).

Actually, I know Jewish cemetaries will not bury someone with a tattoo, but yet every jewish woman I know (and most men) have earrings. I know you can't be burried with the earings in, but the holes are still there. Can you explain the difference?

#266051 - 10/10/2005 03:27 Re: Since this board seems to know everything... [Re: Heather]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
I did the suit thing for several years. If I crossed my legs a certain way you could see the ankle one. It kinda shocked people who didn't really know me because I "looked so conservative". Which worked the other way too, when some middle age dude would start getting undressed in my office to show me his. It's amazing the assumptions people make about what people are like based on job title and uniform. And something about a catholic priest with a dancing bear arm band cracked me up for a week.

Heh. That reminds me of my old scoutmaster, Gord. He was an ex-army man, and a recovering alcoholic. He had tattoos sf half naked women on his biceps, 'sweet' tattooed over one nipple, and 'sour' over the other. Last I heard from him, he'd become a United Church minister, and frequently wore long sleeve shirts.

#266052 - 10/10/2005 14:13 Re: Since this board seems to know everything... [Re: canuckInOR]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Wait, his name was Gord, and you're from Canada?

Wasn't this Gord, was it?

#266053 - 10/10/2005 14:30 Re: Since this board seems to know everything... [Re: tfabris]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
OH- for a second there I thought you were going to link to Gort!
Klaatu barada nikto!

#266054 - 10/10/2005 19:46 Re: Since this board seems to know everything... [Re: Robotic]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Quote:
Klaatu barada nikto!

Isn't that the same phrase you need to say to remove the Necronomicon?

Well... pretty close

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#266055 - 10/10/2005 20:07 Re: Since this board seems to know everything... [Re: Waterman981]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
That was, of course, Raimi's way of paying homage to Day The Earth Stood Still.