Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#268198 - 27/10/2005 10:37 PDF creator/editor for Linux
pedrohoon
enthusiast

Loc: The Pilbara, Western Australia
Hi,

I need to fill in forms in a PDF format that have been emailed to me, then email them back to the sender, so can anyone recommend a program for linux that will create PDF documents and edit existing PDFs?

Thanks!

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best

#268199 - 27/10/2005 14:59 Re: PDF creator/editor for Linux [Re: pedrohoon]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Many programs can create PDFs. Probably the most WYSIWYG is OpenOffice.org.

I don't know of anything that can edit PDFs. That said, if you're filling out PDF forms, the best thing would be for the PDFs to be created as forms to begin with, which are editable via Acrobat Reader. I forget if you can save them back out with the forms filled in, though. I know that I've been unable to in the past, but I want to say that it was because the PDF was flagged to prevent me from doing that rather than there being a technical limitation. I could easily be wrong.

#268200 - 27/10/2005 20:40 Re: PDF creator/editor for Linux [Re: pedrohoon]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
How about print it then scan it after filling it out.

Matt

#268201 - 28/10/2005 07:28 Re: PDF creator/editor for Linux [Re: wfaulk]
pedrohoon
enthusiast

Hi Bitt,

Thanks for the reply. I did not know that Acrobat Reader could edit forms, so I will try that.
As you mentioned, OpenOffice can export as PDF but not edit existing PDFs - maybe version 2 will?
Thanks again!

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best

#268202 - 28/10/2005 07:35 Re: PDF creator/editor for Linux [Re: msaeger]
pedrohoon
enthusiast

Yes, I could do it that way, but I was wondering if there was a more elegant solution i.e. the 'paperless office'?
I will try Acrobat Reader as Bitt suggested, otherwise I will have to do it the print/scan way.
There do appear to be several Windows programs that will edit existing PDFs, but I was hoping for a Linux solution