Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#270048 - 19/11/2005 10:59 Environmentally friendly wedding stationery?
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
...in the UK?

We've found a couple of places in the US that do recycled/bleach-free wedding stationery, but none in the UK.

Unfortunately, buying from the US kind of offsets any environmental good by having to come a long way.

Any ideas?

#270049 - 19/11/2005 12:06 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: Roger]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Buy your own paper and print your own ?

We printed all our invites, menus etc

As Eryl has pointed out we did in fact produce a brochure rather than an invite, given that we had to give detailed directions to the secret location...

#270050 - 19/11/2005 13:57 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: Roger]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
You could make your own paper Link

Matt

#270051 - 19/11/2005 16:27 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: msaeger]
Anonymous
Unregistered

With the right tools and calculations you could launch the unrecyclable wedding invitions into orbit and then on a path to reach the sun by 2040, which will burn the non-biodegradable trash into an eco-friendly firey abyss.

I can help you with the calculations, but Iīll need some nitrogen tetroxide, or, if you have the resources, 20 liters of high-density liquid hydrogen. If you can meet me in Amsterdam the weekend after the wedding, we can do this in a couple of hours. Just tell the guests to bring their invitations with them to the wedding.

#270052 - 19/11/2005 17:29 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: ]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

What about The Carbon Neutral Shop? I found the link off of your old post about Future Forests. They sell carbon neutral stationary and wedding kits...

As for the solar launch, if your time span is long enough you can just wait for the sun to come to you!

#270053 - 20/11/2005 07:37 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: pgrzelak]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
WE have a couple of small stationery producers on board at Downsizer:

http://villagestationery.co.uk/
http://www.thecardbee.com/
http://www.denisebydesigns.co.uk/

None of them are doing recycled etc as standard but all are one woman bands so would I'm sure gladly accomodate your wishes. Lynn at Village Stationery is brilliant, real looney in the nicest possible way.

Tahir

#270054 - 20/11/2005 08:44 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: tahir]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Thanks Guys, we'll take a look at those. We don't particularly want to make our own, because neither of us is particularly blessed with craft-type skills.

#270055 - 21/11/2005 08:52 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

Follow this link to see an example of how a simple wedding invite can get out of control...

InviteSlim.pdf

#270056 - 21/11/2005 09:14 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: andy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
how a simple wedding invite can get out of control...

Just like rogue apostrophes, it seems.

#270057 - 21/11/2005 09:24 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Just like rogue apostrophes, it seems.

Hmmmm, must get round to reading my copy of Eats, Shoots and Leaves one day...

#270058 - 21/11/2005 13:47 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: andy]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
That book is awesome. She just recently came out with another one. The name escapes me ATM.

#270059 - 21/11/2005 19:59 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I suppose this would be a good time to offer congratulations (unless there was already another announcement that my apparently senile brain forgot).

To that end, congratulations!

As to your stationery issue, email?

#270060 - 21/11/2005 20:06 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: wfaulk]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
To that end, congratulations!

Ditto. Congratulations!

Quote:

Just so long as it isn't a text message...

#270061 - 21/11/2005 20:19 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: tman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

No, he obviously needs to attach a 100MB Word doc. Duh.

#270062 - 21/11/2005 21:27 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: wfaulk]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I'd like to add my congratulations (and apostrophe's).

Quote:

A fantastic way to save on paper is to minimize the amount of paper you use in your paper invitations. When my wife and I were looking through "official" wedding invitation books, you'd see that most of the decent ones are elaborate constructions. Envelopes have colored liners. Then you've got an inner envelope. Then you've got the invitation, proper, with vellum lining and some number of pull-out cards.

Our solution was to simplify. We printed in two colors (dark blue and silver ink) on standard-sized postcards (for an entirely reasonable price, as done by a professional printer who happily took PDF) and stuffed those into standard OfficeMax envelopes. That card basically said you're invited to the wedding and this time and place, and for more details visit our web page. We also included one of three different RSVP cards plus a return envelope, depending on whether the guest in question was being invited to the smaller events the night before or the morning after the wedding. Those were pre-printed in a single color, at the professional printer, for an entirely reasonable price.

All of this was on the theory that nobody really cares to keep ancient wedding invitations, and it's a seriously good thing to have most of the information online, where it's easy to update as things change. The web page, of course, was our chance to go over the top, with maps, directions, baby pictures, links to wedding registry stuff, and so forth. Even the older relatives who aren't online generally had help from younger relatives...

#270063 - 22/11/2005 00:39 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: DWallach]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
All of this was on the theory that nobody really cares to keep ancient wedding invitations

I do.

#270064 - 22/11/2005 02:33 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: canuckInOR]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I don't want to, but I do feel guilty about throwing that sort of thing away, despite the fact that I have no desire to ever look at it again.

#270065 - 22/11/2005 02:45 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: Roger]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just had another great idea. If you donīt want to do the rocket to the sun plan (eventhough it would be simpler), we could tear up each individual invitation into really tiny pieces, and then spread them out over a huge area. Think about it, a bunch of wedding invitations together is unwieldy, messy, and just trashes up our precious earth. But one tiny little shred of paper by itself is no big deal, as long as we keep all of them far enough apart.

But perhaps you want the invitations to be recycled or re-used for something else to help conserve our planetīs resources, in which case I have another good idea. Make stickers with you and your finaceīs names on them and also make stickers for any dates, times, and locations on the invitations. This way, the stickers can be peeled off later on, and the invitations can be used again for your friend or child. You could even sell them on ebay.

#270066 - 22/11/2005 09:00 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: canuckInOR]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
So do I! For goodness sakes, isn't this missing the point a bit?
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#270067 - 22/11/2005 10:43 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
I suppose this would be a good time to offer congratulations (unless there was already another announcement that my apparently senile brain forgot).
Heh, I was worried I missed an earlier post too.

Congratulations!

#270068 - 22/11/2005 11:22 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: schofiel]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
For goodness sakes, isn't this missing the point a bit?

<wedding cynic mode>
It's certainly missing the point of the Wedding Industry, which is AFAICT to provide minor pointless extravagance at the price of major pointless extravagance. Environmental issues just won't be on their radar: if the Wedding Industry were to discover that killing a puppy cost 20p but that a dead-puppy table decoration looked like it was probably worth at least a quid, there'd be dead puppies on every wedding table in the land. Charged at Ģ5 each.
</cynic>

Marriage is a great day for the couple's happiness, and a great day for their friends and family who wish them to be happy. But I've been to so many where the actual marriage has been utterly buried under dense, cloying candyfloss snowdrifts of wedding...

Peter

#270069 - 22/11/2005 11:45 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: peter]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Funny, I took to calling it the Wedding-Industrial Complex. To the greatest extent possible, we tried to avoid all that. My wife's engagement ring was a family heirloom rather than a shiny new one. We hired a photographer who doesn't normally do weddings. We hired a restaurant that doesn't normally do weddings. We even got a judge to officiate who doesn't normally do weddings. Some things, you end up surrendering to the madness. The worst, at least financially, was booze. Since my family's tradition is to have an open bar, that ended up being the single largest cost item on the spreadsheet. *sigh*

#270070 - 22/11/2005 14:26 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: peter]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Quote:
But I've been to so many where the actual marriage has been utterly buried under dense, cloying candyfloss snowdrifts of wedding...

A good example of this is the TV series "The Worst Week of My Life". In one scene the mother says to some guests (sobbing) "I'm really sorry, the chairs they delivered were Conference Classic instead of Banquet"

Luckily my sister didn't want anything much - marriage in the local church (cost: vicar+organist), reception at a village hall nearby (local one was too small), cost was about Ģ15 per hr. Hired a huge starlight blanket thing to hand across the roof. Bar was run by the local pub at their standard prices (BiL was a regular, barman and chef for years). Catering was the most expensive part, but it was just a posh buffet so pretty cheap really. And the honeymoon was Bournemouth! Can't remember what the wedding car was, some local chap with a Roller I think. I offered the services of my B&W cop car for free but they declined - and my mate hires his out for weddings at Ģ300 a time!

Gareth

#270071 - 22/11/2005 19:19 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: g_attrill]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Apparently you haven't seen the American (cable) reality show Bridezillas. Well, I haven't either, but I have seen ads. And my mom is a wedding director.

#270072 - 22/11/2005 20:24 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Doing some searching (basically google://uk wedding invitations recycled/) reveals a few, but it mostly seems to be very small companies (read "one woman in her basement") and what I'd consider overly lighthearted for wedding invitations, but, then, maybe that's the style in the UK.

Another possibility is that you might be able to find a printer who might not have the paper you want, but you might be able to buy the paper separately and have them print on it.

#270073 - 23/11/2005 23:58 Re: Environmentally friendly wedding stationery? [Re: wfaulk]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
I don't want to, but I do feel guilty about throwing that sort of thing away, despite the fact that I have no desire to ever look at it again.

Mine go in a display case, along with all the other momentos I've picked up through the years. In some cases, the wedding invitation and a small snapshot are the only visible reminders I own of some of my best friends and family.