Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#272190 - 15/12/2005 13:20 Desktop HDD recommendations
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

So whats the manufacturer of choice these days? I have to say I've never had a drive fail on me ever but I don't want to lose data.

I like Western Digital. It will be my primary driive so it must be fast with a decent buffer, fast seek times etc etc and at least 200gb. Preferably at a good price

So... hit me

Edited by Phil. (15/12/2005 13:26)

#272191 - 15/12/2005 13:27 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
My recommendation? Buy two drives and set up a backup.

Drives will fail. Period. And usually at the least convenient time, too.

-jk

#272192 - 15/12/2005 13:28 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Seagate Barracuda. Fast, quiet, and I've never had one go wrong on me.

Touch wood.

#272193 - 15/12/2005 13:35 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: Roger]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Hmmmm what about this one?

#272194 - 15/12/2005 13:39 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: jmwking]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

And yes a backup is a good idea!

#272195 - 15/12/2005 14:25 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
I've had a few. A couple of things to note:
  • Seagate Barracuda V - Had one fail because it was in a place where its heat collected during a RAID sync. Seagate support is absolutely excellent, I shipped the drive to them, and they sent me a new one under warranty. The drives in my case now have a super quiet 120mm fan on 7v rigged up to them with cable ties. Have to say they have been very reliable since. Verdict: Heat sensitive, but recommended.
  • Samsung Spinpoint - This one is really really quiet. I like it for that. Price is very average.
  • Maxtor Diamondmax - On idle this drive is quiet, but when it is seeking it does make rather annoying rumbling noises. You get NCQ on most of them as a speed-bonus (does this make much difference?), and I find they are consistantly the cheapest per GB. I bought a 300GB SATA one last night on Komplett for 80 quid (+6 P&P) inc VAT. Can't argue with that.

#272196 - 15/12/2005 14:37 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: sein]
tman
carpal tunnel

7V? Eww. You're not doing that nasty hack of connecting a fan between the 5V and 12V lines are you? If that fan dies and goes shortcircuit then wave the entire contents of your PC goodbye.

I've had loads of issues with Maxtor drives. I've personally had about 5 drives fail and similar numbers for people I know.

#272197 - 15/12/2005 14:38 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: tman]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

What about the Seagate one I listed. Any good?

#272198 - 15/12/2005 14:40 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
furtive
old hand

I've had 2 Seagates fail on me so avoid them myself now.

I have WD drives in my PC. Also don't Samsung (or someone) now own IBM's drive business - they are supposed to be pretty good.

#272199 - 15/12/2005 14:50 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: furtive]
tman
carpal tunnel

At the end of the day, all brands are going to have horror stories so I guess you should just pick one that you like the look of and cross your fingers!

Hitachi bought out the IBM storage division. I think IBM might still have a small share in it.

#272200 - 15/12/2005 15:24 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: tman]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I've had loads of issues with Maxtor drives. I've personally had about 5 drives fail and similar numbers for people I know.

I've had 2 IBM drives die, and 3 Maxtor drives die. Not yet had a Seagate die on me. As you say, everyone's got horror stories. As long as you've got good backup, it doesn't particularly matter.

#272201 - 15/12/2005 15:31 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
It's really hard to ask a community like this which HDD brand they like. We've had a few discussions on this before, and each one had somebody posting something along the lines of:

"I've used ten hard drives from [company name], and they all failed on me, so I never buy from that company again."

I started out with Western Digital and I like them. I messed up one drive myself and found their warranty return process to be excellent. I now have two Western Digital drives in my machine, and two Seagates. All of them are SATA drives, and they all work fine so far (knocking my desk).

When it comes down to it, I don't worry about this stuff too much. Yes, it would supremely suck if I lost my drives, and I had to lose all my movies and music, but in the end it's just data and it's really just for fun for me. As long as I've backed up my important files (documents, pictures/photos, web site work, Quicken data, emails, etc), then I don't lose any sleep over it.

So get whatever drive you want. Go for the good performers with the big capacities. I picked the Seagates because I wanted quiet drives. They're very quiet (although they seem to have a veeery high-pitched whine to them, but I usually don't notice that).

Good luck to you! I love adding hard disk space!

#272202 - 15/12/2005 15:35 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
When it comes down to it, I don't worry about this stuff too much. Yes, it would supremely suck if I lost my drives, and I had to lose all my movies and music, but in the end it's just data and it's really just for fun for me. As long as I've backed up my important files (documents, pictures/photos, web site work, Quicken data, emails, etc), then I don't lose any sleep over it.

Yup. Exactly. The only stuff that is truely irreplaceable would be photos and emails. Everything else you can in theory recreate. Just remember to also test your backups!

#272203 - 15/12/2005 15:49 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: tman]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:
The only stuff that is truely irreplaceable would be photos and emails. Everything else you can in theory recreate. Just remember to also test your backups!

I'd add to that accounts and source code...

My photos are now taking up 30GB of my RAID5 drive, I'm either going to have to expand the drive sometime soon or start deleting MP3s.

The annoying thing is that I already have two extra 18GB drives to add to it, but before I can expand the array I have to:

- upgrade the motherboard BIOS
- upgrade some other bit of motherboard firmware
- upgrade the RAID card firmware
- upgrade the Windows driver for the RAID card

It isn't clear from the Dell docs which order these steps have to be done in...

It doesn't help that most of the upgrades have to be done from a floppy and that the floppy drive in the server is long dead.

What I should probably do is give up on the SCSI RAID5 array and just add a SATA card and three 200GB SATA external drives.

As to backup, I think I have said here before that I use a small mini-itx box with a 120GB drive in it at a friend's house, synced via rsync over DSL overnight. I've also recently added a 160GB drive to my desktop machine, so my data is now on the RAID5 drive on the server, a local mirror and a remote mirror. So I hope never to lose and data due to drive failure

#272204 - 15/12/2005 16:11 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I use Maxtor Drives. Never had one fail yet. I've had IBM, Seagate and WD drives fail on me in the past.

They are cheap, quiet and run at an ok temp. But I would go with RAID also, I have that on my main server. You can't go without backup these days!

Cheers

Cris.

#272205 - 15/12/2005 17:26 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: andy]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Quote:
It doesn't help that most of the upgrades have to be done from a floppy and that the floppy drive in the server is long dead.

I had the same problem earlier this year, managed to find a boot cd creator that you could use to flash BIOS:

http://bootdisk.com/

#272206 - 15/12/2005 17:31 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: Cris]
tahir
pooh-bah

I've had most makes fail on me, there's nothing like having an on site AND off site backup. I use an HD in an internal IDE case thing to as my on site backup, I back up from that to a HD in my PC at work.

#272207 - 15/12/2005 17:33 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: andy]
tahir
pooh-bah

Quote:
- upgrade the motherboard BIOS
- upgrade some other bit of motherboard firmware
- upgrade the RAID card firmware
- upgrade the Windows driver for the RAID card

I did it in the order you've listed, kept on until it started working.

#272208 - 15/12/2005 17:39 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: tahir]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:
kept on until it started working

That is the bit that I don't like the sound of...

#272209 - 15/12/2005 17:42 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
<shameless threadjack>
Let me see if I've got this straight-
It's no good to trust any particular brand of drive because drive failure is just a part of life and the best solution is to be prepared for it.
The best preparation is some sort of backup plan- either synced mirrors or RAID5 boxes.
Data storage has two basic 'constraints'- getting enough space and making it reliable/robust.
I'm trying to get an outline in my head of the specific 'robustness' strategy involved, so pardon my mental gear grinding. Please feel free to clarify or correct me (it's a forum, and that's the whole point).
Data is best to store on RAID - either internal (card) or external (NAS). I suspect that internal has faster access and is less obtrusive- what other advantages does it have?
OS and programs are best placed on individual drives (and/or separate partitions of an internal RAID).
OS and programs shouldn't (or can't?) be run from RAID and therefore should be backed up (or at least the personal configuration files) to some safe data storage configuration (again, either RAID or a mirrored drive).
If not backed up, OS and programs could just be rebuilt from the original source (which is just data). Hmm- if your OS is corrupt then you won't have access to the source data except via CD, so RAID storage of the source seems silly (but that's just the sort of thing I'm trying to figure out here, so go with me on this).
It seems from other threads that RAID card selection is deathly important, although (from this thread) drive brand is not.
I don't see the value in assembling arrays of small drives. Too much hassle for too little gain?

...and then there's the concept of data protection from threats external to the computer- ie: fire, flood, etc.
For this, some syncing of data to a remote RAID/server seems the proper way to go. Sort of out of the range of my concerns on this day, but probably an important consideration for the next few years.

My usage is simply personal/home use- I'm not thinking in terms of business operation, just music/photos/entertainment/personal records/etc storage and manipulation.
I'm running an old HP Pavilion with two large (40GB+) drives in it (no mirror) and a homebrew NAS (Debian/RAID5).
I'm sort of lazy about the whole back-up thing, so I haven't tried many things to ensure I can recover the HP (stuff on the Debian box should survive a drive death). I tried to set up an automatic backup via the tools Bill Gates provided me in the WinME on the HP, but that software only wants to store the recovery data on a 'removable' device, so I couldn't create the backup on the second drive or the NAS. Could I mount a directory on the NAS as such a device?
Or would that defeat the whole purpose? (ie: recovering the HP would then require the NAS to be reinstated as such a device before the HP could be rebuilt)
Then there's the technology-timeline to consider... new drives and storage solutions might make some of these concerns (above) moot. Like the Hitachi vertical bit drives. No worries with storage space, there!
If data storage solutions of the near future solve issues of space and reliability, then it doesn't seem like investing loadsof time, effort, and money into backup solutions for personal use is warranted. Obviously, some effort/time/money should be invested, but it's just a balance thing, I guess.

Hmm- lots to think about for my backup/recovery-newbie brain.
If you've stuck with me this far, I thank you for your time.
If you're inclined to respond, I'm interested and appreciate hearing your thoughts.
I should just dump $200 on an external USB drive to make my backups to, eh?
</shameless threadjack>

#272210 - 15/12/2005 17:44 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: andy]
tahir
pooh-bah

Quote:
That is the bit that I don't like the sound of...

Depends how desperate you are, it took me 3 nights after work to sort it out. Brought my psoriasis up a treat too.

#272211 - 15/12/2005 18:01 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: Robotic]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
<shameless threadjack>
Data storage has two basic 'constraints'- getting enough space and making it reliable/robust.
</shameless threadjack>

You forgot at least one other...speed.

#272212 - 15/12/2005 18:18 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: Robotic]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
OS and programs shouldn't (or can't?) be run from RAID

Why not? I keep OS and progs on RAID 5 too. No probs.

#272213 - 15/12/2005 19:03 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: tman]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
7V? Eww. You're not doing that nasty hack of connecting a fan between the 5V and 12V lines are you? If that fan dies and goes shortcircuit then wave the entire contents of your PC goodbye.

Is that likely? My fan actually came with a little cable which was wired up like that. Next time I open that machine, I'll see whether it still spins at 5v.

Quote:
When it comes down to it, I don't worry about this stuff too much. Yes, it would supremely suck if I lost my drives, and I had to lose all my movies and music, but in the end it's just data and it's really just for fun for me.

Yeah, if my movies, or MythTV recordings disappeared, I would barely blink. But my music, documents, photos and config is nice to have in RAID and backed up regularly.

#272214 - 15/12/2005 19:10 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: tman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:

I've done that hack myself at times. For adjusting fan speeds, it's quite convenient. Do you have a good reason to suspect it might damage a fan?

#272215 - 15/12/2005 19:34 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: Robotic]
Mataglap
enthusiast

Quote:
It's no good to trust any particular brand of drive because drive failure is just a part of life and the best solution is to be prepared for it.
The best preparation is some sort of backup plan- either synced mirrors or RAID5 boxes.

Any particular brand is a bad thing to make decisions on, all manufacturers have different model lines and different levels of manufacturing quality.

RAID (5 or 1) is not a backup. That's just hardware redundancy.

--Nathan

#272216 - 15/12/2005 20:31 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Do you have a good reason to suspect it might damage a fan?

I never said it might damage a fan. More that if the fan does die for some reason then you have the chance that 12V will now be connected to the 5V line.

#272217 - 15/12/2005 20:33 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: Mataglap]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Yup. RAID is for when a drive fails. It doesn't stop you from accidently formatting the wrong partition or deleting the wrong file.

#272218 - 15/12/2005 21:06 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: julf]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Quote:
Quote:
OS and programs shouldn't (or can't?) be run from RAID

Why not? I keep OS and progs on RAID 5 too. No probs.

Hmm-
When I set up the Debian machine I had to create partitions for the OS that were definitely not part of the RAID protected portion.
That was for software RAID, though, so I guess I have a little more to learn about the possibilities of drive arrays. (no suprise there)

#272219 - 15/12/2005 21:12 Re: Desktop HDD recommendations [Re: Mataglap]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Quote:

--Nathan

Yes, of course. I meant to differentiate between a single drive that you just copy files to (as a backup) vs. copying files to a storage array. My post was not very clear.
The 'syncing' is the backup, the storage arrangement is simply that.
Both require some amount of concerted selection process... which is what I'm trying to inform myself about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >