Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#273255 - 01/01/2006 18:17 HELP! No web access after XP SP2 install
jarob10
enthusiast

Loc: Stockport, UK
Hoping you guys can me with a web access problem.

Since upgrading my PC to the latest XP SP2 version, I am not able to view web pages though my netgear FM114P.

Some facts which may help solve the problem:

1. I can view web pages by plugging my PC direct into the cable modem (allows me to write this post!).
2. I have tried spoofing the router MAC address to match my PC, but this hasnt worked.
3. With the FM114P connected, I am able to ping my tivo within the internal network from my PC, and I can ping external IP addresses.
4. I cannot access tivoweb from my PC through the router (on the internal network). I am prompted for a username/password, but am not served with the tivoweb home page.
5. I have just grabbed all the Windows updates, but no luck

Any help would be much appreciated. Ditching Windows XP is probably the correct solution, although this is not an option for me at present.

#273256 - 01/01/2006 20:15 Re: HELP! No web access after XP SP2 install [Re: jarob10]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I ran SP2 on a network with the same exact router with no problems, so I'm guessing it's a setup issue rather than a combination of the two not working together. I would try:

a) Do a reboot of your router. Pull the power, wait 20 seconds and plug it back in. If that doesn't work, you can do a hard reset by... (trying to remember here, I don't use that router anymore)... I think by pulling the power and holding the button in on the back for like 10 seconds or something. Netgear's site should have that info. But if you do so, you'll need to reset all your settings. You can download a config file from the router to your PC to save your settings for later upload back to the router.

a) Log into your router at 192.168.0.1 and see if you have limited internet access to certain MAC addresses or IPs on your LAN. Turn some of that stuff off and

b) It could likely be a combination of SP2's new security features and the router. Maybe disable the XP firewall or something?

#273257 - 02/01/2006 08:35 Re: HELP! No web access after XP SP2 install [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jarob10
enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.

a) tried the router reboot - no luck. I cant physically access the router to get to the button at the back. I have considered a router fimware upgrade, but am concerned things may go from bad to worse!

b) the router is telling me it has internet access. I will unlug the tivo connection to see if that helps. As I mentioned before, I casn ping external IP addresses, the problem is I cant get web page access through the router.

c) the windows firewall is disabled.

Any other thoughts/comments?

#273258 - 02/01/2006 10:03 Re: HELP! No web access after XP SP2 install [Re: jarob10]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
You say you can ping addresses - numeric or DNS names? It's possible that DNS is upset somehow (maybe the router isn't forwarding your lookups).

eg, try ping empegbbs.com and see if it resolves correctly.

One really useful service that demon internet still have hanging around from 10+ years ago is "finger <address>@158.152.1.65" which does DNS lookups and returns the result as text. Great if DNS is broken and you're trying to find an IP address - you only have to remember the one!

Hugo

#273259 - 02/01/2006 16:25 Re: HELP! No web access after XP SP2 install [Re: altman]
jarob10
enthusiast

Interesting results:

ping -t 66.219.41.221 returns a reply

ping -t empegbbs.com returns 'Ping request could not find host ...'

#273260 - 02/01/2006 16:41 Re: HELP! No web access after XP SP2 install [Re: jarob10]
tman
carpal tunnel

DNS isn't working for some reason. Do "ipconfig /all" and see if your DNS servers are set.

#273261 - 02/01/2006 17:24 Re: HELP! No web access after XP SP2 install [Re: tman]
jarob10
enthusiast

Quote:
DNS isn't working for some reason. Do "ipconfig /all" and see if your DNS servers are set.

Success!

DNS server addresses were absent when running through the FM114P. Values set within the XP network connection (now set to 194.168.8.100, 194.168.4.100), with similar values set within the router.

Problem solved. Many thanks to all.