Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#275489 - 02/02/2006 18:42 MIME-Types in Firefox 1.5.x
clsmith

Does anyone know how to add MIME-types to FF 1.5.1? I'd like to define how certain files, when downloaded, are handled (i.e. '.cab' files.) For example: when downloading a '.zip' file I get the option to open it or save it to disk. I also, on the first download, get the opton to: "Do this from now on" for which ever action I've selected. But with '.cab' files the options are grayed out and the default option is to "open with..."

With FF 1.0.7 I used to use the Things They Left Out (TTLO) extension to manually add/define them but it hasn't worked for v1.5+ Any ideas?

#275490 - 02/02/2006 20:33 Re: MIME-Types in Firefox 1.5.x [Re: clsmith]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Usually when that option is greyed out it means that the MIME-type sent is a useless generic one, like application/binary. Are you sure that there's a MIME-type to be set? It says what it is on the download dialog.

#275491 - 03/02/2006 01:19 Re: MIME-Types in Firefox 1.5.x [Re: wfaulk]
clsmith

It may be an issue of an incorrect 'sending' of the MIME-type from the site I'm trying to download from. Kind of like when like when you used to click on a binary to download and FF tried to draw it - ending up with a page of gibberish text.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how to add an association to a filetype. i.e. if you look in the Tools, Options, Downloads section. Under Filetypes it shows already existing ones and their assiciated action. I'd like to add some there. TTLO used allow me to do that by creating a MIME-type but I don't think it's under development anymore.

Again, it all boils down to: when I click on a '.cab' file to download. The 'save' confirmation box pops-up with a default action of Open. I can select the save to disk radio button but can't set it to default. It's just a minor (turning into a major) annoyance.

I hope I'm making sense.

#275492 - 03/02/2006 03:24 Re: MIME-Types in Firefox 1.5.x [Re: clsmith]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Something like this happened to me in the past with .cab files. Turned out Winzip registered the .cab file and was getting in the way. I had to uninstall Winzip and search the firefox profile folder for any files that contained cab. I found something that didn't look correct compared other mine types. I then deleted this line and it worked again.

#275493 - 03/02/2006 11:49 Re: MIME-Types in Firefox 1.5.x [Re: clsmith]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
Along these lines... I can't get Firefox on my new computer to play .wmv files. The OS is Media Center (MCE) and WMP10 came preinstalled. I installed Firefox and get the missing plug-in graphic but it doesn't know which plug-in to install. I tried reinstalling WMP10 but it tells me I have a newer version already installed. I'm guessing this has to do with having MCE as I've never had an issue with straight XP.

#275494 - 03/02/2006 12:21 Re: MIME-Types in Firefox 1.5.x [Re: Attack]
clsmith

I tried that too. Uninstalled and re-installed TugZIP. Tried it with no compression program installed. Still can't edit it.

I did find another way to manually add the MIME-types. In the %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{random-chars.default}\mimeTypes.rdf file. Seems a pretty silly way to manipulate them.

#275495 - 03/02/2006 13:53 Re: MIME-Types in Firefox 1.5.x [Re: clsmith]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Okay, when it brings up that dialog, what does it say the MIME-Type is? It may show a description in place of the MIME-Type, but it's the line directly below the filename.