Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#278351 - 27/03/2006 16:31 Old blues riffs
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is there anyone on this BBS who's a fanatic about old blues music? Specifically, I'm looking for prior art on a certain guitar or bass riff. Let me explain:

I've just co-written a song with a friend. It's a very bluesy song, and the verses do a thing where she sings a line, then I play a riff, then she sings a line, then I play a riff. As I was messing around trying to come up with a good catchy riff, my fingers fell into an old familiar pattern: The opening riff for the Rush song "What You're Doing", off of their first album. She instantly fell in love with it, and wants to use it in the song as-is, despite my protests that I don't want to copy someone else's riff.

The rest of the song we've written is nothing like that Rush song. Even the riff itself is played in a different key and with a different rhythmic pattern. But the notes are more or less the same, and they resolve the same way. If you know the Rush song, it's clear that I'm doing the same gag.

So I asked another friend about it, and he said the Rush riff isn't even theirs, that it's likely an old classic blues riff. Although he doesn't have a specific example to offer as proof, he seems pretty confident about it.

So. If you're an old blues fan, could you give a listen to the riff in question, and see if you can come up with another example of it? The riff can be heard in the album's song samples at amazon, it's track number 5.

(I'd offer a sample of our song, but it's not ready for public consumption yet. The Amazon sample should be enough.)

So, anyone know of a similar riff elsewhere?

#278352 - 27/03/2006 17:27 Re: Old blues riffs [Re: tfabris]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Even the riff itself is played in a different key and with a different rhythmic pattern.
Whether or not the Rush version is the original, the different rhythmic pattern should be enough to make you legal- though there will always be someone claiming you ripped off the song. That particular riff is almost just a pentatonic scale anyway (or at least, in my head right now that's what it sounds like), and you're using it in a different manner (riffing instead of the melodic basis for the song) so I seriously doubt anyone would even think of WYD except for die hard Rush fans like you

A similar experience for me: when we put our songs up for public review on garageband, one listener gave us a bunch of crap for one of our intros sounding like "Momma I'm Comming Home" because it used a similar chord structure with a picked descending line- but I didn't lose any sleep over it- though I see what he was saying, it's pretty obvious I didn't take an Ozzy riff and make a peppy Christian folk song out of it. And Ozzy certainly didn't invent a descending melody line or picking chords on an acoustic guitar.

Anwyay, unless the rhythm and intervals are both exactly the same, I doubt you have much to worry about.

As far as actually answering your question, I've got nothing

#278353 - 27/03/2006 18:02 Re: Old blues riffs [Re: JeffS]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Well, you know what they say, the good artists copy, the great artists steal. I'd be the first to admit that the riff came from Rush, and I'm not worried about legality. I'm just interested in knowing whether it's got precedent, and what that is.

#278354 - 27/03/2006 18:03 Re: Old blues riffs [Re: tfabris]
music
addict

Quote:
riff isn't even theirs, that it's likely an old classic blues riff. Although he doesn't have a specific example to offer as proof, he seems pretty confident about it.

Hmmmm, just from the straight math of the situation, it's hard to imagine that there is any pentatonic riff or blues scale riff which hasn't been done.

As far as your actual question, let me mull this over a bit. I'm not at a machine right now where I can use the speakers, and I can't recall that opening riff right now. (I know, shameful! They may have to revoke my fan club card.)

Somehow I suspect someone else will get back to you with an answer before I do,
but I have a 10 CD set of Classic Blues sitting at home waiting for me.
This might be just the excuse I need to crack into it.

(Classic Blues are fun, but I have to take lo-fi 1930's recordings in small doses...)