Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#284277 - 10/07/2006 14:12 Want new laptop
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
So, my Sony SRX87's looking a little long in the tooth, and I'm in the market for a new laptop. The wife's going to be getting the Sony once I've replaced the battery -- and I'm considering leaving Ubuntu on it, and seeing how she gets on.

My requirements:

- at least 1Gb RAM
- quick CPU. dual core might be nice.
- I'd like it to be Vista-ready, but it's going to be running XP Pro until then. I _might_ install Ubuntu on it at some point.

The 2 most important:

- it's gotta be as light as, or lighter than, my SRX87P.
- it's gotta be available in the UK.

Asus have some nice-looking kit right now, but they're not all available in the UK, and I'm confused by the model numbers. I've had no real problems with my Sony, but I am aware that they're a little slack when it comes to support. I'd rather not get a Dell -- we're wall-to-wall with them here, and I fancy something different.

What's good right now?

#284278 - 10/07/2006 14:21 Re: Want new laptop [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
as light as, or lighter than, my SRX87P

That's 2.76 lbs., according to the datasheet.

#284279 - 10/07/2006 14:30 Re: Want new laptop [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Quote:
as light as, or lighter than, my SRX87P

That's 2.76 lbs., according to the datasheet.

I think I could stretch to 5lbs or so -- if it included the DVD drive (the SRX has it external).

#284280 - 10/07/2006 14:31 Re: Want new laptop [Re: wfaulk]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Maybe an IBM/Lenovo X60 or X60s is the right answer for you. They come in with the right weight and the right CPU, and Lenovo probably hasn't done too much damage to the classic IBM build quality.

#284281 - 10/07/2006 14:41 Re: Want new laptop [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The MacBook is just over 5 lbs. and can run XP natively.

The reason I bring it up is that so many laptops are flimsily manufactured, IMO, and the Apples are not. As far as native Windows laptops, I couldn't recommend, based on build quality, much outside HP, Sony, Toshiba and IBM/Lenovo (assuming, as Dan says, that Lenovo hasn't done a hatchet job on build quality). And I have other qualms about each of those, too.

#284282 - 10/07/2006 15:21 Re: Want new laptop [Re: DWallach]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
That Lenovo X60 looks pretty good. Dell doesn't have anything with a Duo Core under 5 lbs.

#284283 - 10/07/2006 17:35 Re: Want new laptop [Re: wfaulk]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

The MacBook's keyboard is atrocious. I'd never want to do anything serious with it. (The 'Pro' is fine.)

My IBM/Lenovo X41 Tablet's keyboard, however, is easily the nicest laptop keyboard I've ever had (including a Sony Vaio 505G, and a variety of HP Omnibook models). The X40/X41/X60 series seem to all use the same keyboard, so that would be a strong vote in its favor.

#284284 - 10/07/2006 17:40 Re: Want new laptop [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'd drop Toshiba from that list. Their build quality is notches lower than Acer and eMachines. HP wasn't stellar either when I last looked (a bit over a year ago).

I don't know if I would recommend a Macbook right now though. I'd like to pick up a 17" Pro model and I'm waiting it out likely until the end of the summer. The non-Pro models seem to have a number of additional issues right now some of which I haven't heard about resolutions for (the paint discolloration/wear for example).

I don't believe their new models will be out within the next two months, but they should get around to resolving a number of problems with smaller line changes/revisions.

I'd not count the odd-looking keyboard as a mark against the Macbook until I'd had a chance to use one in person. I've not read anything but positive comments about it. A lot of people had reservations until they had used it for a little while.

#284285 - 10/07/2006 18:10 Re: Want new laptop [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I tried typing on the MacBook's keyboard at an Apple store. After a minute, I was settled. No way for me.

#284286 - 10/07/2006 18:11 Re: Want new laptop [Re: DWallach]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Quote:
The MacBook's keyboard is atrocious

Hmmm it's the best feature of my MacBook. Anyway when it's in use at my desk the MacBook hides under the desk and I use a standard Apple bluetooth keyboard, but during mobile use I think it's fine, and I don't keep missing the enter key like you do if you have big hands on the iBook.

Having the ability to run windows is useful, but I have to say, I haven't really used it since I loaded bootcamp on.

I think choosing a new laptop is a difficult one, but I would agree about Toshiba laptops, my Tecra was built on the cheap. I snapped the motherboard on it once because it flexed so much in my bag! Never again!

Apple laptops are ok, I'm happy with mine, but I miss my docking connector and not having a bay for a second battery would have been nice.

Cheers

Cris.

#284287 - 10/07/2006 18:38 Re: Want new laptop [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I had a couple of Toshiba laptops years ago and they were pretty good, but if people who have more recent experience with them say they're cheap, I'll be happy to retract my vague recommendation.

The problem with HP laptops these days is that some of them are HP laptops and some are Compaq laptops. The Compaq ones are shit and the HP ones are pretty good. Of course, there's not really a good way to tell which are which without looking at them.

#284288 - 10/07/2006 18:39 Re: Want new laptop [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Well, the 15" MacBook Pro is only a few tenths of a pound more. Still less than 6lbs.

#284289 - 10/07/2006 19:35 Re: Want new laptop [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The problem with HP laptops these days is that some of them are HP laptops and some are Compaq laptops. The Compaq ones are shit and the HP ones are pretty good. Of course, there's not really a good way to tell which are which without looking at them.

Last I saw, the laptops were just a jumbled mess. Some of the Compaq branded ones were decent (likely a carryover from the old Evo/Armada line), and others were crap for sure (likely carryovers from the Presario line). Then toss in the random HP laptop teams, and you have 4 possible points for the initial design to have started from. Considering Compaq is just a branding term that could be slapped on anything, odds are many premerger HP designed systems have Compaq on them and vice versa. I still have to wonder when the Compaq name will just be dropped. Main reason for keeping it was to have double the retail shelf space. Not sure if that is working out anymore.

The Armada M700 was a great little system and to me had similar quality to the IBM Thinkpads of the time.