Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#284845 - 28/07/2006 10:19 Smarty Got Raped !!!
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Got in the car this morning, thought "Hmmmm it's not usually this messy" turnon the ignition, thought "isn't there usually music?" looked down, radio gone

I can't see how they got in, windows were up and intact and the doors unlocked as normal. They have taken everything of any value in the warning triangle and first aid kit, but more gutting than the radio is the locking wheel nut thing! Looks like I will have to drill the old ones out

No damage to the empeg cage etc... but they have cut all the wires off, and empeg itself is safley in the house with me of course. I am now in the market for a new headunit, has to be Sony, any ideas ???

Cheers

Cris.

#284846 - 28/07/2006 10:47 Re: Smarty Got Raped !!! [Re: Cris]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Damn!

Quote:
more gutting than the radio is the locking wheel nut thing! Looks like I will have to drill the old ones out

Depending on what sort of nuts they are, you can get a special reverse threaded nut thingy that bites into the locking nut. Otherwise you might be able to get a replacement key, or finally a decent tyre garage might be able to sort them for less stress/hassle then faffing around with it yourself.

#284847 - 28/07/2006 12:44 Re: Smarty Got Raped !!! [Re: g_attrill]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
1) I lost the locking nut gizmo from my Fiat Ducato (Motorhome Chassis), and a Fiat Dealershup was able to replace when given the chassis number, I understand that there are only a couple of dozen variations at the end of the day.
I would have thought Smart could have done the same.
2) I'm selling the motorhome at the moment, and the guy who seems to be the most likely buyer, when I waxed lyrical about the MP3/CD unit, said he only had cassettes, so I offered to change it for him, for the old Sony out of Nat's Citroen! Which would put my JVC with front and back aux.in on the market. But if something comes up first go for it.
3) Don't feel insulted if I'm reminding you of the obvious, but be sure to report it to the police and get a case number, for your insurance claim.

#284848 - 28/07/2006 13:00 Re: Smarty Got Raped !!! [Re: Cris]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Also my uncle got done over last week, they broke into a tool shed, then used an axe and something else to chop the lock off another shed, and stole three scooters/bikes that were in it. Then my aunt was out locally a couple of days later and heard a bike, followed the noise to see a kid on one of the bikes. When stopped, he said "it's not mine" and rode off through some woods. She called the police who said they were too busy to send somebody out....

Knowing my uncle (who is much like Patrick), he will be building a new security/CCTV system with bonus features...

Gareth

#284849 - 28/07/2006 13:36 Re: Smarty Got Raped !!! [Re: Cris]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Scum!!!

I am so angry right now, I've had enough of thieves and other assorted bastards.

Sucks about the Smart dude.

But not as bad as my friend. Just heard a couple of hours ago that he was assulted by three big guys for his cheap phone and empty wallet. They left him with a fractured jaw, some stitches and a black eye. I'm really angry with the world right now and want to break things.

He's getting married on Sunday.

#284850 - 28/07/2006 14:06 Re: Smarty Got Raped !!! [Re: Cris]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
1) Forgot the important thing: Commiserations, it really pisses me off.
2)
Quote:
has to be Sony, any ideas ???
You will see from a recent thread of mine, that I'm never buying another Sony product in my life, having bought little else for nearly 40 years! If you must, they've just brought out an HU with, I think, a couple of gigs in the removable fascia: "C'est tres interessant, may c'est ne pas le Empeg!
3)I'd driven 700 miles in my new Volkswagen when it had a puncture in Scott Hall Road (the iffy end), first I knew: no spare, not even low profile, just a bottle of gung. Being unable to operate it (it later transpired that a vital bit was missing) I called the AA, who said that it wouldn't have been any use for the gash I had and anyway, they're not allowed to use them. He took me off to the nearest tyre place for a new tyre, and the guy there said, if I had have used it they would have to sell me a new tyre, as they can't repair them once the gung has been put in.
If this is the case, why do the manufacturers supply them, why not design the car better to fit a spare?

Sorry to hijack your thread, I hope the mini meet will take your mind off all the frustration!

#284851 - 28/07/2006 14:27 Re: Smarty Got Raped !!! [Re: boxer]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Quote:
why do the manufacturers supply them, why not design the car better to fit a spare?

Money. Far cheaper for them to give you a can of foam and still charge the same price for the car as before.

#284852 - 28/07/2006 15:13 Re: Smarty Got Raped !!! [Re: Cris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sorry about the theft, thank God you had the empeg safely in the house!

I'm not happy with thieves these days myself, as I've just had to cancel a check card because of a stolen card number. (No losses incurred, it was noticed immediately, but the pain of being without a card really sucks.)

#284853 - 28/07/2006 17:19 Re: Smarty Got Raped !!! [Re: Cris]
Cris
pooh-bah

The police have been and gone, they did point out how they got in. There are 2 small holes in the door seal (Smart has no metal around the top of the window glass) where they had fed some wires and popped the door, not much I can do to protect againt that in the future

I went down to the Smart dealer, who gave me all the boxes of locking wheel nuts they have, first one I tried worked so I swapped them for another set with a different pattern. The down side it it has cost me £70 to replace all the bits and pieces they nicked

I rang my insurance, it's not worth me claiming. They will only offer a naff CD/Tuner replacement headunit, not of my choice! and then I will loose out on next years renewal, as my protected no claims doesn't cover me for the claim just the discount on the said premium (hope that makes sence).

Over all I am pretty pissed off, I've been robbed, paid money for insurance I can't afford to use, and pay taxes to men in uniform who can do nothing about it.

On the head unit front, I have now widened my search to Kenwood (not keen) and Blaupunkt (no experience of) and opinions???

Cheers

Cris.

#284854 - 28/07/2006 18:33 Re: Smarty Got Raped !!! [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
On the head unit front, I have now widened my search to Kenwood (not keen) and Blaupunkt (no experience of) and opinions???

My brother has been happy with the Pioneer OEL headunits he's had.

Andy M

#284855 - 28/07/2006 18:37 Re: Smarty Got Raped !!! [Re: Cris]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
I have now widened my search to Kenwood (not keen) and Blaupunkt (no experience of) and opinions???

I always thought Alpine was a good choice.

#284856 - 28/07/2006 18:51 Re: Smarty Got Raped !!! [Re: Cris]
StigOE
addict

Quote:

The Blaupunkts I've had and/or used, I've been fairly happy happy with, except for one thing: the radio is good, but you can't force it to search for a better frequency for the channel you're listening to using the RDS functionalities. And it will often get to a low quality before it changes automatically. On the Alpine HU I had, on the other hand, I could get it to do a AF search first. If that didn't give me a good enough result, I could get it to do a PI search instead. Don't know if the recent ones would do that, though. Don't know much about Kenwoods, and the Pioneer I have now, I haven't used a lot to listen to radio with, otherwise it seems ok.

Stig

#284857 - 28/07/2006 21:18 Re: Smarty Got Raped !!! [Re: Cris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Im sure some wiring can be found in the pile of junk if you're stil coming down to the barbie... I can probably help get you a good deal on a stereo if I pop to Cambridge Car Audio when you're here too (I smile nicely and usually manage to get a good discount)... with any luck you'll be able to drive back with a working stereo

Hugo

#284858 - 29/07/2006 05:02 Re: Smarty Got Raped !!! [Re: altman]
Cris
pooh-bah

Thanks Hugo! I am about to set off now, and I think I may make a stopoff at the Car Audio Centre in Nottingham on my way. I should be able to get just the head unit going without too much wiring, but getting the empeg in is going to be a long job, it looks like I will have to remove every thing and start again. Plenty of time to do this before I go on my hols, and I wouldn't want to eat into our beer drinking time

I think I am going to drop off burgers and booze just after lunch and then go meet up with andym and then get back for the bbq about 4ish

See you all later...

Cris.

#284859 - 31/07/2006 17:40 Re: Smarty Got Raped !!! [Re: Cris]
Cris
pooh-bah

I went for a Kenwood KDC-W808 in the end. Not easy to get hold of as it turns out, Cambridge Car Audio were kind enough to point it out to me, but they had one on order for a month already for someone else, so I did almost get a Sony DAB unit and an amazing price (thanks Hugo!).

The iPod interface was a second thought, it is likley that an iPod (or someone with one?) will find itself into the car sooner or later and I hate taking that dash apart so it seemed to make sense. It also has an Aux in as standard so it can take the Karma and Empeg too

Lets hope I can get the wiring sorted before setting off on our trip on Sunday...

Cheers

Cris.