Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#291262 - 08/12/2006 22:14 Just an observation about the BBS
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I've noticed that when I first jump in for reading on a day, that if I jump straight to the OT forum then all OT posts are marked read after reading the first post.

Alternately If I first jump in by going to the main page, then click into OT, the posts update to read only after each is read.

As I said, just an observation.

#291263 - 08/12/2006 23:49 Re: Just an observation about the BBS [Re: gbeer]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
I find that once you've been inside a particular topic area (general, off topic, etc) and return to the main page that topic area shows no unread posts. If you return to that area, though, any threads that you hadn't read are still marked unread for your attention.

I always figured the action on the main index was to take care of a 'been there, done that, didn't need to see everything' situation. That is, once you've seen the index for the topic area, you've seen what is has to offer (different than having read all the posts in all the threads).

I don't mind the current functionality- I kind of like it.
ymmv
<shrug>

#291264 - 09/12/2006 19:30 Re: Just an observation about the BBS [Re: gbeer]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
I've found that visiting anything other subforum than the main page BEFORE LOGGING IN will reset the unread threads for the entire BBS. I never quickly browse or search the BBS without logging in for this reason.

But wait, when you log in, it does show unread posts... Hm...

#291265 - 10/12/2006 03:55 Re: Just an observation about the BBS [Re: FireFox31]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I am logged in, or rather never logged out. It was just that if my first access of the day was directly to the OT forum, reading a single post caused all OT posts to be marked read. Making my first access of the day the main index caused a more favorable operation.

As I said it was just an observation.