Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#293681 - 13/02/2007 00:50 Favorite Multi-Channel Recordings (SACD and DVD-A)
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
The Pink Floyd thread got me wondering if there were any others out there that any of you recommended... I currently only can listen to DVD-A because I don't have a 5.1 input on my receiver (DVD-A also includes a DVD-Video quality 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS track for playback on normal DVD players - no special equipment needed.) I only have a few but one problem I'm running into is that finding what titles are out there is really a pain in the neck! Nearly all of the titles I've found are via word of mouth. My collection is very limited, but here is my start:

1) Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth (most recent CD) available as a "DualDisc) meaning that on one side is a CD layer you play in your CD player but if you flip it over, you get a DVD-A that will play in both normal DVD players (Dolby Digital) or in DVD-Audio players (uncompressed 5.1 audio).

2) Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (DualDisc format AND SACD). I only have the DualDisc version but the SACD includes a bunch of rare tracks.

3) Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (SACD commercially and DVD-A via bootleg)

4) The Flaming Lips - Yoshi

5) The Beatles - Love (both this and Yoshi will be at my door soon so I can comment on them, but both get 5 star reviews)

6) Depeche Mode - PICK ANY! They're in the process of releasing their entire back catelog in 5.1! In the USA, you get a remastered CD along with a DVD that includes video and mini-documentaries (exclusive to each CD) AND a 5.1 mix that plays on any DVD player. In the UK version, you get a SACD that has a CD layer on the other side + you get the DVD (but in PAL). The UK version is the one to get as long as you can play PAL discs and have a region free player (or NOT a region 1 player! )

There are a bunch in my wish list like The Doors - LA Woman but I can't comment on them yet..

#293682 - 13/02/2007 02:09 Re: Favorite Multi-Channel Recordings (SACD and DVD-A) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Depeche Mode - PICK ANY! They're in the process of releasing their entire back catelog in 5.1! In the USA, you get a remastered CD along with a DVD that includes video and mini-documentaries (exclusive to each CD) AND a 5.1 mix that plays on any DVD player. In the UK version, you get a SACD that has a CD layer on the other side + you get the DVD (but in PAL).

Yeah I really like Depeche Mode. Some of their 80s stuff (Music for the Masses for example) was recorded in low rez digital though so I wonder what sonic benefit there would be for those tracks over CD aside from 5.1?

Billy Joel's The Stranger in SACD is pretty good. The Police's Every Breath You Take on dual layer CD/SACD is also good, but they employ some distracting noise reduction on Can't Stand Losing You on both the CD and SACD.

The Pink Floyd Dark Side DVD-A was a good find as well. Thanks for that!

Stu

#293683 - 15/02/2007 21:35 Re: Favorite Multi-Channel Recordings (SACD and DVD-A) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
spider

although neither dvda or sacd's I would defiantly give these two a try especially if you have a dts setup.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Stripes-Unde...=UTF8&s=dvd

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-Rober...=UTF8&s=dvd

Im sure most of you have heard the zeppelin dvd but the white stripes live concert dvd in dts is amazing, my neighbors really like it too especially when its on the 10.2

#293684 - 15/02/2007 21:46 Re: Favorite Multi-Channel Recordings (SACD and DVD-A) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA

#293685 - 15/02/2007 22:00 Re: Favorite Multi-Channel Recordings (SACD and DVD-A) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I use Jarre In China to test my home cinema, visually the most boring thing you will ever see, but the sound is pretty amazing if you are a fan of Jarre. The DVD that comes with his Aero album is also very good.

Cheers

Cris.

Edit - Doh! Only just noticed SACD / DVDA in thread, my suggestions are DTS 5.1. Sorry.

Edited by Cris (15/02/2007 22:02)

#293686 - 21/02/2007 16:03 Re: Favorite Multi-Channel Recordings (SACD and DVD-A) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Cris
pooh-bah

Which Depeche Mode CD/DVD have you got? I would really love to get hold of a 5.1 mix of some of their stuff, but the DVD I got with "the best of" is only 2.1

Cheers

Cris.

#293687 - 21/02/2007 16:31 Re: Favorite Multi-Channel Recordings (SACD and DVD-A) [Re: Cris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I don't have any yet. I'm trying to decide between Violater, Exciter and Ultra. But here's the catch:

If you buy the US version, you get a normal CD + a DVD-V. The CD is remastered and the DVD has the full album in 5.1 along with exclusive video content. Pretty cool.

But, if you get the UK version, you get the same DVD but you also get a SACD of the album. That will allow you to play it on a CD player (playing the SACD's CD layer) AND get the higher resolution that SACD offers over DVD-V. The catch is that if you're in the US, you'll need a DVD player that is capabile of playing PAL disks and is a Region Free player. Luckily, I just got my Oppo 970 (the reviews on this thing are amazing and it out performs DVD players 5 times the cost - $150) and it has a simple remote command to make it region free and plays PAL.

The place to buy the UK version is: http://www4.cd-wow.us/detail_results.php?product_code=1042456 They have a great price w. shipping included from the UK.

FINALLY was able to play The Beatles - Love and The Flaming Lips last night... WOW. I think the Beatles disc wins here as far as emotionally drawing you in. The Lips is great at knocking you over the head though! (Every speaker is always doing something neat).

#293688 - 21/02/2007 16:58 Re: Favorite Multi-Channel Recordings (SACD and DVD-A) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Cris
pooh-bah

Are you sure? I have a copy of that and the mix on the DVD is only 2.1

I must admit I had expected it to 5.1 at the time. Also I don't think it has the SACD either, I wonder if I have a different version or something.

Cheers

Cris.

#293689 - 21/02/2007 17:02 Re: Favorite Multi-Channel Recordings (SACD and DVD-A) [Re: Cris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I just noticed you're in the UK. oops!

Did you hit the Audio button on your remote? Maybe it defaults to 2.0?

#293690 - 21/02/2007 17:03 Re: Favorite Multi-Channel Recordings (SACD and DVD-A) [Re: Cris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Oops, here is a better link. Sorry about that. I guess I bookmarked the wrong one.

http://www4.cd-wow.us/detail_results.php?product_code=1866877

Another link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Violator-CD-DVD-Depeche-Mode/dp/B000ENV2R8

Edited by SE_Sport_Driver (21/02/2007 17:07)

#293691 - 21/02/2007 17:08 Re: Favorite Multi-Channel Recordings (SACD and DVD-A) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Cris
pooh-bah

Hmmmmm how annoying!

It looks like if you want the 5.1 mixes you have to buy one of the remastered albums, I don't think the best of has any 5.1 mixes on it. I have tried the audio button and there is only one track

Maybe I'll order one to see what it's like.

Cheers

Cris.

#293692 - 21/02/2007 18:10 Re: Favorite Multi-Channel Recordings (SACD and DVD-A) [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Quote:
They have a great price w. shipping included from the UK.

I think all the CD-Wow stuff comes from HK, my boss buys from them quite a bit.

#293693 - 21/02/2007 20:06 Re: Favorite Multi-Channel Recordings (SACD and DVD-A) [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
It looks like if you want the 5.1 mixes you have to buy one of the remastered albums, I don't think the best of has any 5.1 mixes on it. I have tried the audio button and there is only one track

I have the best of too, the audio track on my copy is LPCM. Which turned out to be easier to rip and put on my empeg than stuff in AC3.

Andy M