Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#295777 - 22/03/2007 00:39 Am I "scammed" if I walked right into it?
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Should I consider myself scammed if I knowingly allowed myself to be?

I am desperate to replace a phone that I manage which broke. I tried to bid on a few on eBay but was always outbid; I was bidding less than they're really worth, and not manually sniping like I do when I really want something.

So, I see one just listed with a BuyItNow price, excelent. The price is just slightly below what the item is worth (in my mind). The description was a copy and paste from an auction which had ended recently; and a very sparse description, not one you'd want to copy.

Those two clues (price, description) make me think it's a scam. Seller's history is 70-something, but mostly buying and only two recent enough to check. Another warning. Last step, I check to see if the picture was reused, but found no match on active or completed listings (didn't check the web at large).

I gave it about 65% chance of being a scam, but since I really wanted the phone, and at that price to boot, I completed the Buy It Now and payed via PayPal (from my credit card) instantly.

Two days, no e-mail from the seller. I don't usually expect one, though I don't mind a tracking number. Sent a polite e-mail to the seller giving them my shipping address. We'll see what happens.

In a way, this reckless buying is a test of eBay buyer protection, PayPal payment protection, and my credit card client protection. Worst case, I'm down a bunch of money for being a hasty idiot. Best case, the phone shows up on my door step in a few days (I paid enough in shipping for it to not take too long).

We'll see. No I'm not linking to the auction to avoid tipping off Google.

#295778 - 22/03/2007 22:05 Re: Am I "scammed" if I walked right into it? [Re: FireFox31]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Quote:
and not manually sniping like I do when I really want something.

JBidWatcher - excellent bit of software.

Quote:
Those two clues (price, description) make me think it's a scam. Seller's history is 70-something, but mostly buying and only two recent enough to check. Another warning. Last step, I check to see if the picture was reused, but found no match on active or completed listings (didn't check the web at large).

Doesn't sound like a scam at all - sounds like the seller may be out of town, ill, had a family crisis (and the description/photo may just mean they are a lazy sod without much idea of how to sell kit on eBay ).

Unless you paid for next-day delivery etc then I'd wait a bit longer to get worried

David

#295779 - 23/03/2007 03:04 Re: Am I "scammed" if I walked right into it? [Re: FireFox31]
Neutrino
addict

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Doesn't sound like a scam to me either. To answer your question though, yes, if this is a scam than you were scammed regardless of if you had any doubts about the transaction. A scam is a scam independant of what the effected party thinks.