Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#300837 - 21/07/2007 19:23 Suspected scam
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
On a whim, I thought I'd look to see if one of my favorite old sitcoms ("Grace Under Fire") was available on DVD, and came across this website.

On first glance it looks like a simple, no-nonsense online store, but the alarm bells ring when the prices are less than half that of other sites, and if you read the not-so-fine print, you find that they apparently are selling pirated copies of the DVDs, and not the original authorized box sets.

Next, finding that the only "contact" possible is submission of the order itself seems suspicious.

Then, the only payment type they accept is check, money order, or Western Union (no credit cards) is a big red flag.

But wait... they don't give a mailing address to send the check or money order to, they don't ask for my bank account numbers, or offer any information about how to send them money by Western Union, so even if I wanted to succumb to their scam, there is no way for me to do it. Oh, yes they do... buried deep in a paragraph of mind-numbing text is this gem: FOR THOSE OF YOU, WHO DECIDE TO MAIL YOUR PAYMENT IN, E-MAIL US AT E-Mail: [email protected] FOR THE PAYMENT ADDRESS & INSTRUCTIONS. Yeah, I'll be sure to do that.

Now, this makes things look official: They tell me that they are displaying and recording my IP Address for verification purposes. I don't know whose IP address that is, but it certainly isn't mine!

Are these guys just monumentally incompetent scammers, or am I just not smart enough to figure out how to let them take my money? The price looks good, but I think I'll pass.

tanstaafl.

#300838 - 21/07/2007 19:30 Re: Suspected scam [Re: tanstaafl.]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I very crappy attempt at a scam, but they are displaying my IP address successfuly, maybe you are going via an HTTP proxy you aren't aware of.

#300839 - 21/07/2007 19:52 Re: Suspected scam [Re: andy]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
maybe you are going via an HTTP proxy you aren't aware of.

No, my bad. They are displaying my correct IP address, I just didn't recognize it because I had my empeg's IP address in mind, not my internet connection address.

tanstaafl.

#300840 - 21/07/2007 19:55 Re: Suspected scam [Re: tanstaafl.]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
I think they are selling DVD burned copies of stuff you can download, or could have downloaded in the past. They are probably being careful with their details because of that, although it's a bit pointless because they would hardly be tricky to trace.

#300841 - 21/07/2007 21:25 Re: Suspected scam [Re: g_attrill]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
They almost had me at Airwolf.

#300842 - 21/07/2007 23:28 Re: Suspected scam [Re: tanstaafl.]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
If they are scammers. accepting payment via us mail makes it postal fraud.

#300843 - 22/07/2007 18:30 Re: Suspected scam [Re: tanstaafl.]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
I'd like to think I've developed an instinct to spot scams simply by domain name. Alarms go off when I see pointless use of numbers, long dash delimited phrases, any anything associated with about.com.