Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#301179 - 01/08/2007 17:44 Fax server help!
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
This is my last project at the moment.

I am looking for a fax server for our office. This is just research right now and nothing has been approved for actually going through with this.

One piece of software I have found is Hylafax for Linux.
Does anybody have any experience with this?
Does anybody have any experience with any other free/cheap fax server alternatives?
Does anyone have any experience with more expensive fax server alternatives?

How does a fax get routed to individual email users?
Do they just sit on the fax server waiting for one to log in and claim their fax?

How do you send a fax from your pc to the fax server to be faxed elsewhere in the world?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Rene

#301180 - 01/08/2007 18:18 Re: Fax server help! [Re: ShadowMan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I have used Hylafax and a commercial system. Hylafax works fine, but it's a pain to set up, and (the last time I looked) the Windows clients were a little obtuse. This may have changed. Commercial systems are easier to set up, but cost a godawful amount of money. As far as maintenance goes, I have seen little upkeep on either system.

Incoming faxes generally work like this: you can have specific incoming numbers routed to specific inboxes. There will generally be a generic number where all users who do not have a dedicated number will get their faxes sent to. This may be your only number. From there, it may just be a big come-and-get-it pool, or you might have someone whose job it is to forward the generic-number faxes to the specific recipients. There's not really any way to automate this. (I suppose you might be able to set up some sort of OCR, but I can't imagine it would have a good hit rate.)

#301181 - 01/08/2007 19:59 Re: Fax server help! [Re: ShadowMan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
The stalwart fax package for Linux has been efax for some time. This is a command-line utility that can send and/or receive facsimile transmissions, making it a very handy building block for any sort of custom (scripts, perl, awk, C, whatever) application one wants to layer on top of it.

Cheers

#301182 - 03/08/2007 12:51 Re: Fax server help! [Re: ShadowMan]
eliceo
enthusiast

ive used hylafax mostly for sending. We used w2hfax as a windows client, it did require some modification just to make it run though. I don't believe anyone currently maintains that client. I configured redmon and a print to pdf server thingy. WIndows clients would "print" what they wanted to send, w2hfax would pickup that "print job" and bring up a dialog box for a fax number. It does work well once you get it configured and requires little monitoring.

Edited by eliceo (03/08/2007 12:54)

#301183 - 04/08/2007 02:31 Re: Fax server help! [Re: ShadowMan]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
I did a lot of research into this last year and finally setteled on "snappy fax server", which is winders based, if that's ok. You can d/l it and try it out, which is nice.