Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#301961 - 09/09/2007 21:33 Help with no sound issue
visuvius
addict

Hi guys,

I'm on my dads computer right now and he is having a problem on his computer where the audio does not work on websites like Youtube, CNN, etc. I can play MP3 files through Windows Media Player, and I can open Real Audio files but I get no audio through I.E. or Firefox. I thought maybe it was a Flash issue so I uninstalled Flash through "View Objects" in I.E. settings and then reinstalled it and that did not fix the issue.

Also, under Device Manager, all Audio Devices seem okay, HOWEVER, when I go to Control Panel > Sounds & Audio Devices > Sounds, and try to play one of the generic WIndows alerts, I get the message:

"Windows can not play the sound %SystemRoot%\media\SOUNDFILENAME.wav. Your sound card may be in use"

I was wondering if anyone has something I can try before I try nuking the sound card and installing another one.

Thanks.

#301962 - 09/09/2007 22:12 Re: Help with no sound issue [Re: visuvius]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Under the Sound control panel, look at the Audio tab. Make sure that the sound card is selected in the playback default device dropdown. I've sometimes seen some software applications change it to some virtual driver. If it's not that, try uninstalling and reinstalling the sound card driver.

#301963 - 09/09/2007 22:52 Re: Help with no sound issue [Re: wfaulk]
visuvius
addict

DUDE I can't believe I didn't check that. There is always something. For some reason, "Modem" was selected instead of Integrated Audio.

Many thanks!

#301964 - 10/09/2007 12:33 Re: Help with no sound issue [Re: visuvius]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Wow. I actually solved someone's problem. First try, too.

And to think I almost didn't post that, thinking that there's no way you wouldn't have checked there, since you were already one tab away.