Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#301927 - 05/09/2007 17:51 So you think you're a photographer...
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
One of my cow-orkers just ruined my life. Well, sort of. Made me want to put all my camera gear on eBay for $50 Buy It Now and maybe pick up an old Kodak Instamatic to do my laughable "photography".

To think that I had the arrogance to submit three of my best (i.e., least amateurish) pictures to a photo exhibition last week...

Take a look at these if you want to feel humble.

tanstaafl.

#301928 - 05/09/2007 18:30 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: tanstaafl.]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:

Meh. Some great shots in there, sure. But they certainly aren't all taken by the person who collected and put them into that slideshow.

Some of those shots are are the results of pure luck, more than anything else. Some of them may be the results of cropping to improve composition. Some may be the results of having ridiculously expensive equipment. Some of them are the result of being able to travel to a locale where the opportunity to take such pictures exists.

Consequently, while I certainly enjoy all of those photos, none of them make me feel humbled in my own efforts -- every now and then, I have a stroke of luck, can crop to improve composition, or am able to travel to somewhere that allows me to get an out-of-the-ordinary shot. I can even rent expensive equipment!

I'm curious to see the photos you submitted...

Cheers,

#301929 - 05/09/2007 18:58 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: canuckInOR]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Personally, I liked the photo of Abba.

#301930 - 05/09/2007 18:58 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: canuckInOR]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Also, living in Alaska would seem to be a plus for potential subject matter.

#301931 - 05/09/2007 19:03 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: canuckInOR]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Some of those shots are are the results of pure luck, more than anything else. Some of them may be the results of cropping to improve composition. Some may be the results of having ridiculously expensive equipment. Some of them are the result of being able to travel to a locale where the opportunity to take such pictures exists.

That, to me, is a list of many of the elements that comprise photography as an art form.

A few more elements would be: Taking large numbers of exposures and choosing to show only the best of them. Using tools to correct the exposure after the fact. Having a camera always handy in order to take photos of unexpected things.

None of the above things are the ideal "point the camera at the subject, press the shutter once, the unaltered result is a perfect photo". Photography is never like that.

#301932 - 05/09/2007 20:37 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: tanstaafl.]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Wow, what a wonderful portfolio! I'd say the photos are very likely all by the same photographer, as they seem to share a unified stylistic touch.

And ain't PhotoShop great!

Cheers

#301933 - 05/09/2007 22:43 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: canuckInOR]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Some may be the results of having ridiculously expensive equipment.

Yeah. And Rembrandt no doubt had really good paint brushes.

There's a great deal more to it than the kind of equipment used, most important being the ability to see something extraordinary in the mundane and then have the vision and technique to extract it.

I guarantee that you could give Ansel Adams a Kodak Instamatic (well, you could if he hadn't died 23 years ago) and turn him loose for a day and he would bring back better pictures than you or I could get in a week even using Dan Wallach's dream SLR.

tanstaafl.

#301934 - 05/09/2007 23:15 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: tanstaafl.]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
Some may be the results of having ridiculously expensive equipment.

Yeah. And Rembrandt no doubt had really good paint brushes.

There's a great deal more to it than the kind of equipment used, most important being the ability to see something extraordinary in the mundane and then have the vision and technique to extract it.

Oh, absolutely. However, in a number of those shots -- particularly some of the wildlife shots -- having reasonably expensive equipment (large, fast, zoom lenses in particular) does make a significant difference in a photographer's ability to capture that particular image. That kind of stuff doesn't generally happen within 50 feet of you. If it does, you're either walking around in a zoo, or very, very, very lucky.

#301935 - 05/09/2007 23:28 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: mlord]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Wow, what a wonderful portfolio! I'd say the photos are very likely all by the same photographer, as they seem to share a unified stylistic touch.

My impression is that it's just a bunch of random photos that some dude happened to like, and got stuck together to an ABBA song. That impression was heightened by clicking the "English" link, and reading the initial titles on the slideshow, followed by poking around the rest of the website. I think if there's any unified stylistic touch, it's representative of the taste of the guy who selected all the photos for the montage, rather than all the photos being from a single photographer.

#301936 - 05/09/2007 23:45 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: tanstaafl.]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I guarantee that you could give Ansel Adams a Kodak Instamatic (well, you could if he hadn't died 23 years ago) and turn him loose for a day and he would bring back better pictures than you or I could get in a week even using Dan Wallach's dream SLR.

Thinking about this some more, I'm not convinced. Ansel Adams does have an incredible eye for composition and light -- there is no disputing that. But Ansel Adams was also a master of manipulating his prints in the darkroom (he wrote a book on it). Seeing his prints is not the same as seeing his original photograph. Consequently, we're comparing a bit of apples and oranges, here.

Many of our shots may not be that great on an initial pass, but I'd be willing to bet that there would be others which could be substantially improved via cropping or darkroom-type adjustments.

Where that digital SLR would give us an advantage over Ansel Adams, is in the ability to shoot reams of photographs. That gives two things -- one, a choice in which photos we can actually use, and two, a faster process for honing our skills (provided you take the time to actually study your photographs).

(Note that I'm not attempting to suggest I can be as great as Ansel Adams, of course.)

On an interesting side note, I share my birthday with him.

#301937 - 06/09/2007 00:52 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: canuckInOR]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

You're right, in that the D-SLR makes pressing the button free, fast, and furious. Another benefit, relative to Ansel Adams, is that the digital darkroom (i.e., Photoshop) makes things ever-so-painless. I took a summer class from a former lab assistant of Ansel Adams in 1988, and learned many of Adams' tricks. We're talking painstaking stuff, e.g.:

- Keeping a pot of developer on a hot plate that you can dab onto your print with q-tips (for spot darkening)

- Very fine brushes and "spot tone" to brush out dust marks

In Photoshop, that sort of thing, never mind the fancier Zone System issues, can be almost completely replaced with the modest use of fairly basic Photoshop filters. What that means for us is that you can produce stunning results in minutes that formerly took hours. Or, with hours of elbow grease, you can produce results that were largely unobtainable in a darkroom. (Exception to the rule: see Jerry Uelsmann.)

What Ansel did that few of us with day jobs can do, is patiently wait for the perfect weather, the moon just right, and so forth. He lived in Yosemite Valley. What would be lucky for us was (to some extent) the result of persistence on his part.

#301938 - 06/09/2007 00:55 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: canuckInOR]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
At least 60% of the photos in that slideshow I'd consider just average "snapshots" - nothing any random person could or would not shoot in the course of a year, regardless of where they live. A number had interesting and what seemed like conscious compositions. A few more had technical merit on the use of post-processing tools for the manipulation of high dynamic range and merging of multiple exposures with other properties.

I didn't see a single image that made me think "wow" with regards to the talent of the person behind the camera.

Regardless of what tool you use, knowing how to use it to achieve what you want makes the world of difference. Lately I've been using my brother's Nikon E8800 and it's a decent little camera. However, having to constantly fiddle in menus and with the less than ideal control layout takes away from some of the spontaneity and fun. It's also caused a number of wasted opportunities. In some instances I'd have been able to produce far superior results and in less time with the old Minolta X700 I used to use.

You can take incredible photos right in your own back yard/neighborhood. You don't need exotic locations to make beautiful photographs.

#301939 - 06/09/2007 16:04 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: canuckInOR]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'm curious to see the photos you submitted...

tanstaafl sent me the photos to rescale and post. Here they are, with his descriptions...

I'd like to claim that this was a carefully staged photo, where I waited for the proper lighting and waded out into the water chest deep to get the boat positioned just right, then gave long consideration to just the right aperture to get my depth of field, and carefully selected the ISO to come up with an appropriate shutter speed. In actuality, it was a spur of the moment snapshot on the public dock in Chapala, Mexico over Christmas vacation in 2006. The vivid colors of the boat against the murky green water caught my eye, I had the camera in hand so I took the picture with the camera set to full auto mode. Sometimes you get lucky.

This photograph was taken in Ajijic, Mexico over Christmas vacation in 2006. The B&B where we were staying had a beautiful enclosed garden with fish pond, and this dragonfly would swoop out over the pond, capture some unsuspecting flying insect, then return to his perch awaiting the next one. Each time he came back, he would allow me to get a little closer and work my way into position to backlight his wings. This shot was taken with the front of the lens no more than six inches away from him, aperture probably about f4.0, shutter speed would have been about 1/250 with an ISO of 200.

In contrast to the "Boat" picture, this one was not serendipity at work. The picture was taken from a scenic overlook on Queen Ann hill in Seattle in Mid-July of 2005, after sunset but before full darkness. I had no tripod, so I balanced the camera on a rock wall with pebbles placed under the lens to aim it properly. I waited until the stars were just beginning to come out, then experimented with exposures. I got it on my third try, with a 10 second exposure at f5.6 using the self-timer feature to prevent camera shake.

Attachments
303271-Boat.jpg (106 downloads)

#301940 - 06/09/2007 16:10 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: canuckInOR]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Photo 2

Attachments
303273-Dragonfly.JPG (77 downloads)

#301941 - 06/09/2007 16:11 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: canuckInOR]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Photo 3

Attachments
303274-SeattleSkyline.JPG (78 downloads)

#301942 - 06/09/2007 22:42 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: hybrid8]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I didn't see a single image that made me think "wow" with regards to the talent of the person behind the camera.

1) Eagle in full stoop
2) Dragonfly in flight in focus
3) Grasshopper in flight
4) Burning match showing heat-generated air vortices

Duplicate any of those pictures and I will be truly impressed.

Quote:
just average "snapshots" - nothing any random person could or would not shoot in the course of a year

Many of those pictures could have been taken by "...any random person" but the catch is, few of those persons would have recognized a mundane setting as a photographic opportunity and had the patience to position themselves to take advantage of color, lighting, composition, etc.

I'm not trying to be confrontational here, so please read this for what it is: a simple request. Would you be willing to post some of your pictures here? I would enjoy looking at them.

tanstaafl.

#301943 - 06/09/2007 23:24 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: tanstaafl.]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Quote:
1) Eagle in full stoop

Long lens, fast camera and multiple shots. Could have been taken at a zoo or other place with a birds of prey show. The image didn't impress me at all since I've seen others like it so many times. Nothing terribly artistic about it.

Quote:
2) Dragonfly in flight in focus

It was one of the few images that didn't remind me of 100 others. But still not a terribly exciting photo. If you're at a location with a lot of dragonfly action you can make that photo with a fast camera and a decent lens.

Quote:
3) Grasshopper in flight

I actually liked this image. Didn't make me think "wow" though. It actually looked like the grasshopper landed on the lens. This one is easier to set up than the others above because you can more easily wrangle a grasshopper (or multiple of them).

Quote:

Definitely some studio talent here. One of the few I mentioned that involved some technical talent. Once you know how to work the technique in the studio you'll still need to take a lot of shots to get "the one" - and of course picking "the one" is a big part of the talent here.

I preferred your images to the majority in that slideshow. And remember I said that I considered "60%" of the images "snapshots" - your quote is a bit out of context and also out of order. I have one critique you could have done, or might be able to still do, something about and one you really couldn't. The boat image has definite pop and I love the color combinations, but the composition doesn't do anything for me mainly because the boat is pretty much centered in the frame. I would have much preferred to see the boat diagonally. You can make some interesting compositions with crops of that image though. In the last image it would be nice if the building with the flat wall wasn't in the bottom right. about the only thing that can be done here would be to duplicate some trees in that area replacing the building.

I haven't been doing any creative photography in years, but I hope to scan my collection of negatives and get back into "photography" when I pick up a new camera (I don't own one at all right now and either borrow one from my brother or use my fiancée's little P&S).

#301944 - 06/09/2007 23:48 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: tanstaafl.]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
The tree with the white leaves.

Unless I'm mistaken that was taken with an IR filter.

#301945 - 06/09/2007 23:57 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: hybrid8]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

Definitely some studio talent here. One of the few I mentioned that involved some technical talent. Once you know how to work the technique in the studio you'll still need to take a lot of shots to get "the one" - and of course picking "the one" is a big part of the talent here.

But even this could be a single frame taken from a sequence shot with a high speed camera -- some of those cameras can do in excess of 30,000 frames/second -- in which case, there's nothing really technically talented about this photo, either, beyond putting the match in front of a pretty, coloured background.

#301946 - 07/09/2007 02:05 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: canuckInOR]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Damn, you guys are tough. I for one thought there were some really cools shots in there.

#301947 - 07/09/2007 10:51 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: lectric]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Damn, you guys are tough. I for one thought there were some really cools shots in there.

They're nearly all very cool, and I haven't yet seen anything in the same league posted here by the (other ) armchair photographers here!

If it's so easy to accomplish, let's see some more!

Cheers!

#301948 - 07/09/2007 15:51 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: mlord]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

They're nearly all very cool, and I haven't yet seen anything in the same league posted here by the (other ) armchair photographers here!

If it's so easy to accomplish, let's see some more!

I'm not disagreeing that the shots are cool -- to the contrary, I thought they were excellent -- I'm just disagreeing, for a variety of reasons, with Doug's postulation that I should feel humble for not having shots like that in my own portfolio. There are photographers whose work does make me feel like I'm wasting my time, but this collection of photos isn't one of them, regardless of how cool the photos are.

#301949 - 09/09/2007 04:06 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: canuckInOR]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
http://englishrussia.com/?p=1397

Squirt bottles come in handy. :P

#301950 - 12/09/2007 16:40 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: canuckInOR]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Quote:
Thinking about this some more, I'm not convinced. Ansel Adams does have an incredible eye for composition and light -- there is no disputing that. But Ansel Adams was also a master of manipulating his prints in the darkroom (he wrote a book on it). Seeing his prints is not the same as seeing his original photograph. Consequently, we're comparing a bit of apples and oranges, here.

I think you're making a distinction that Adams himself would not have made. Adams was not "manipulating" during the printing process any more than he was throughout the entire image-making process.

Adams also wrote a book about exposure control, in which he gives extremely detailed instruction for how to use his Zone System, which, among other things, involves deliberately over- or under-developing the film to expand or compress the contrast range. Adams is thinking about adjustments to film developing *and* printing while he is composing the photograph. It is all one long processes to him. It doesn't make any sense to chop it up half way through and call part of it the "original photograph".

The point is, his print *IS* the "original photograph". Adams did not see printing as separate from the photographic process any more than he did his fetish-level exposure control. In fact, collectors consider prints made by other people from Adams' negatives not to be original Adams photographs. Adams himself has written that he considers printing to be the most important part of the photographic process.

The "darkroom-type adjustments" are extremely difficult to do well, and need to be seen as part of the art form. To say that our own shots could be improved by them, thereby diminishing their importance, is to hide the points that 1. it is very difficult to do well, and 2. we don't do it.

I think this false dichotomy arises from thinking that a photograph should be, above all else, an accurate representation of the subject. I know I used to believe this. Adams' books and my own photography mentor totally destroyed this (unspoken) belief I had. The point is to make a physical representation (the *print*) of one's artistic vision. The subject itself is only one input into this process. Adams himself comments in his books how different the final image looks from the original subject; the difference is deliberate and part of the creative process.

I think an important point is that great artists tend to be able to see what they want in their mind, and have the technical mastery to make that vision a reality. The rest of us, well, we take pictures and then try to make them look as good as possible by "manipulation". Its a very different thing, and a very important distinction, IMHO.

You probably also know that Adams shot very, very few negatives, especially in his early work where negatives were glass and very bulky and heavy. In some ways, I think the ability to take more images has *hurt* photography more than it has helped, because few photographers go through the meticulous planning of an image that was necessary in Adams' day. If you haven't read The Negative, check it out to see what I mean.

I heard an interview of a National Geographic photographer years ago on NPR. He said he was pretty embarrassed that he typically shot "over 2500 exposures" to get 1 or 2 that would make it into the magazine. So, I agree with what you're saying in general: we shouldn't compare our own efforts to the 1 in 2500 photos by pros that we actually see. Compare your very best photo ever taken, and it might do pretty well -- especially with some "manipulation".

Edit: When I finished this, a great quote from my favorite book, Robert Persig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" popped into my head:
Quote:
Steel can be any shape you want if you are skilled enough, and any shape but the one you want if you are not.

Photography is like that. I think everything is like that, actually, which is probably why ZMM is my favorite book.

Edited by TigerJimmy (12/09/2007 16:57)

#301951 - 12/09/2007 16:45 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: gbeer]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Quote:

IR film, I think. I had the same thought.

#301952 - 12/09/2007 18:18 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: TigerJimmy]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I'd never disagree with anything Ansel Adams has to say, but I'll point out that photography can be documentary in nature, and people get disturbed when you cross some kind of nebulous line. One classic example was the magazine that darkened O.J. Simpson's skin in his mugshot. Another example was a Newsweek cover where they superimposed barcodes on some fighter jets as something of an illustration to go alongside an arms industry piece.

In the modern world, fashion photos are significantly manipulated. For some "singles dating web photos" that I did for a friend of mine, I removed some acne from his lip, and otherwise just did the usual brightness/contrast/saturation/color balance tweakage. Is that manipulation, or is it just making the photo look more like he's supposed to look? Hard to say. What if I'd whitened his teeth and emphasized his blue eyes? Where is the line?

The line, I suppose, is about intent. Ansel wasn't trying to convey a scientific fact about the amount of moonlight cast on a particular night. This contrasts with many scientific publications, which mandate that authors explicitly document any and all photo manipulations they perform. For the dating web site, the intent is to market yourself, which clearly allows for some bending of the rules, so long as it's clearly still the same person, but I'm sure even that's too fuzzy.

#301953 - 12/09/2007 18:44 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: DWallach]
TigerJimmy
old hand

I think this is an excellent point. The question is whether the image is being presented to the audience as journalistic or documentary or as a piece of art. The invisible line isn't so much about what is done to the image, but how the final image is presented to the public. Certain contexts (like a dating web site) make certain implications about how the image is presented.

#301954 - 16/09/2007 15:58 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: TigerJimmy]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
Quote:

IR film, I think. I had the same thought.

Maybe so. I sort of assumed it was digital. There are web sites that detail how most digital cameras can be used that way.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/

#301955 - 17/09/2007 11:05 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: gbeer]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
The was linked from userfriendly.org today
http://www.chrisjordan.com/current_set2.php

some other interesting photos can be found from his main site.

#301956 - 26/09/2007 11:56 Re: So you think you're a photographer... [Re: tanstaafl.]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
Quote:
One of my cow-orkers just ruined my life. Well, sort of. Made me want to put all my camera gear on eBay for $50 Buy It Now and maybe pick up an old Kodak Instamatic to do my laughable "photography".

To think that I had the arrogance to submit three of my best (i.e., least amateurish) pictures to a photo exhibition last week...

tanstaafl.

You can take solace in the fact that that website is one of the worst ever created. wow.

In any case..... most of that photography was ok and some was pretty good. Many a case of "right place right time" but also some good composition skills in several.

Although, I must admit I didnt make it through the whole lot as the site was driving me crazy very quickly.