Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#319644 - 22/02/2009 08:12 I or L
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Is "I" in hispanic as written in America seen as an "L"?
Whilst in hospital, I was cursing my ipod for not copying all my files over, because I fancied a piece of pleasant tex/mex music: I have two albums called "I Conjunto".
It was only on getting home and looking for them on Winamp that I discovered them alphabetically under "L"
As far as I can see Spanish Spanish would have it as an "I".

Whilst I think of it, why does my ipod genres list show "Blues" three times (Twice as "Blues" and once as "blues") , each one shows different numbers of artists and songs, but actually lists exactly the same? More to the point, how do I get shot of two of them?

#319647 - 22/02/2009 09:50 Re: I or L [Re: boxer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Originally Posted By: boxer
Is "I" in hispanic as written in America seen as an "L"?

No. Prior to the '70s or so, there was no numeral "1" on typewriters and the lower-case "l" was used instead, but that's the only instance of something like that that I can think of.

#319648 - 22/02/2009 10:24 Re: I or L [Re: wfaulk]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Speaking of language issues, why is it that in the U.K. and some other English speaking lands is 'hospital' not preceded by 'the'?

#319649 - 22/02/2009 11:41 Re: I or L [Re: boxer]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Originally Posted By: boxer
Whilst I think of it, why does my ipod genres list show "Blues" three times (Twice as "Blues" and once as "blues") , each one shows different numbers of artists and songs, but actually lists exactly the same?

Because somebody is using a different string comparison for searching, than they do for collating. It's a software bug.
Quote:
More to the point, how do I get shot of two of them?

Get a Karma. Or a Vibez. Or get a mass-tagging program, and re-tag all your "blues" music as "Blues". (The other "Blues" might be something like "Blues  " with trailing spaces; hopefully the mass-tagging program will also show these as different, so you can re-tag all of those as "Blues" too.)

Peter

#319650 - 22/02/2009 11:42 Re: I or L [Re: petteri]
peter
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: petteri
Speaking of language issues, why is it that in the U.K. and some other English speaking lands is 'hospital' not preceded by 'the'?

We did do this one before... perhaps it should go in the FAQ? wink

Peter

#319651 - 22/02/2009 12:30 Re: I or L [Re: peter]
peter
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: peter
Quote:
More to the point, how do I get shot of two of them?

Get a Karma.

Actually, now I think about this a bit more, Karma did sometimes suffer from similar problems if you used a Karma firmware version that didn't match your Rio Music Manager version. (This is because the collation was done by Rio Music Manager, and searching by the firmware -- if we changed the algorithm, and a user only updated one of the two, disagreements could arise.)

So maybe you should make sure your Ipod firmware and your Itunes are both up-to-date?

Peter

#319652 - 22/02/2009 12:35 Re: I or L [Re: petteri]
boxer
pooh-bah

I've got a Karma, with a broken click wheel, and the ipod was an unsolicited gift at a time when I was waiting for the Vibez to come on the market. I'll run my blues collection through tag & rename, but I'd already changed the lower case "b", but I still can't get it off the ipod

#319653 - 22/02/2009 12:42 Re: I or L [Re: boxer]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Regarding I, l and L, what you're seeing is the product of a careless person, or a stumbling OCR (Optical Character Recognition) system. Or both.

I remember reading a blog about the issue in typography with examples from signage around the world.

Anyway, with human error it can come from a typo, bad cut and paste job, stupidity, cognitive impairment, etc. From an OCR perspective it's likely someone may have scanned material such as an album cover and then tried to automate the recovery of track details from that scan. Those details get submitted to places like FreeDB and then get repopulated onto tracks you might rip from your own collection.

This issue isn't specific to Spanish.

#319746 - 24/02/2009 06:39 Re: I or L [Re: peter]
boxer
pooh-bah

Quote:
So maybe you should make sure your Ipod firmware and your Itunes are both up-to-date?

I haven't until now used itunes, I'd loaded the whole lot from Winamp. Today I downloded itunes and did a complete re-sync, which has solved the "blues" problem, but not the "I - L" one.

Whilst mucking about with it, I realised that Winamp was loading the "comments" box under "composers", re-running in itunes corrected this, as well.

But basically, Oh to have Emplode to do the job!

#319779 - 25/02/2009 06:41 Re: I or L [Re: hybrid8]
boxer
pooh-bah

Quote:
Regarding I, l and L, what you're seeing is the product of a careless person, or a stumbling OCR (Optical Character Recognition) system. Or both.

How right you are, and thankyou. The "l" from free DB proved to be a cap L, now I've rerun it with a cap I, all is well.