Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#321763 - 27/04/2009 16:27 Any Yiddish speakers in the house?
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
This is a weird request. If any of you speak, or know someone who speaks Yiddish, I'd really like some help with a phrase I'm trying to get the meaning of. My dad remembers a family member of his from when he was very little. One small off-shoot of the family was Jewish, and a family member would always say this phrase to him. Somehow, he still remembers the phrase but not the English meaning of it. To be honest, he doesn't actually remember much of the phrase either.

So if I could impose upon you again, here is what I have (I have no idea how to spell Yiddish words, so I attempted to write this down phonetically):

Quote:
gim-zee gah-loh-pee mee-goy-guh-vault teh-cum-zee...

Again, that's only the first part of the phrase. And even at that, I'm only fairly certain of the first two words. I'm not sure if the last word is part of the phrase, or even if I heard it right.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

#321765 - 27/04/2009 16:44 Re: Any Yiddish speakers in the house? [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I think you have some word delineations incorrect:

Quote:
mee-goy-guh-vault

Seems to me like "<something> oy, gevalt!"

Also:

Originally Posted By: dignan
I have no idea how to spell Yiddish words

This is part of the problem, as there is no consistent romanization of Yiddish as there is with other languages.

Edited by wfaulk (27/04/2009 16:46)

#321766 - 27/04/2009 17:15 Re: Any Yiddish speakers in the house? [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
This is part of the problem, as there is no consistent romanization of Yiddish as there is with other languages.

But I bet you can still correct someone's Yiddish grammar, Bitt. wink

#321795 - 28/04/2009 03:40 Re: Any Yiddish speakers in the house? [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I don't know any Yiddish (although my grandparents all spoke it as a second language and my great-grandparents spoke it natively), although it's certainly the case that "oy vey" and "oy gevalt" are common expressions of dismay or exasperation (the latter being more intense than the former).

As best I understand it, Yiddish is a dialect of German spoken by Eastern European Jews (and their diaspora), and when I've seen it written down, it's always been with Hebrew letters. These days, a certain amount of Yiddish has made its way into standard U.S. English usage, particularly in New York, although it tends to focus on the basic one or two-word expressions, not anything as long as the quote, above.

My favorite, for what it's worth:

Q: What's the difference between a schlamiel and a schlamazel?

A: A schlamiel is the one who drops a piano out of the window. A schlamazel is the one it falls on.