Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#322088 - 07/05/2009 19:48 Keeping It Real ???
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I've had a dirty great Jamma cabinet in my living room for the past couple of years now, and whilst it works I would say the project is about 60% finished.

I need more space so I thought I'd get rid of it on eBay but would finish the project first, play with it for a short period then list it.

It's the monitor that's causing the biggest headache, it's an impressive 28" model. There are a couple of problems with it, firstly the PSU is on it's last legs and needs servicing and worst of all it's not magnetically shielded in any way (I have posted about this before) and I have never really found a workable solution for that problem.

So, I thought I would try and replace the monitor, using an original arcade CRT is out of the question due to their expense. So I thought I would experiment with a replacement TFT. I took delivery of a very nice 26" model today and I have to say I am mighty disappointed, while the picture quality is just fine it doesn't feel like an arcade machine anymore.

What do you guys think? Is it a mistake to replace the old CRT for an LCD? Now I have played it I don't really want to fit it. Do I keep it real or suffer with the old monitor?

Cheers

Cris.

#322090 - 07/05/2009 20:10 Re: Keeping It Real ??? [Re: Cris]
tman
carpal tunnel

If you want the "real" arcane experience then it has to be a CRT and an arcane one if you can manage it.

Look at this though. Maybe there will be a something for MAME?

#322102 - 08/05/2009 05:18 Re: Keeping It Real ??? [Re: tman]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
My main worry is that if I do replace the CRT with the LCD then the cab losses any value it had, as it's really just a box with a PC in it at that point.

I have looked all over and just can't find any CRT's that are over 22" as that would be my first option. If I was in the US there does seem to be a supply available for not much more than I paid for the 26" LCD but I can't find anything here in the UK frown

Cheers

Cris.

#322103 - 08/05/2009 06:09 Re: Keeping It Real ??? [Re: Cris]
dr_dos

Loc: Bendorf, Germany
Originally Posted By: Cris
I can't find anything here in the UK frown

There's a 26" monitor on German eBay:
http://tinyurl.com/o46btm

Cheers,
Peter