Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#332750 - 05/05/2010 01:18 Chrome is fast
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Link

After watching this video I downloaded the Chrome beta and I may be easily impressed but it is frik'n fast. I have been using mostly Firefox and a using whatever the stable Chrome release is but the Chrome beta blows them both away.

I have been spending a few hours messing around trying to customize it to work like I want and I have pretty much everything good. About the only thing I haven't found is how to make it clear the browsing history on closing.

Matt

#332751 - 05/05/2010 01:46 Re: Chrome is fast [Re: msaeger]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
The only thing Firefox is faster than is IE I believe. I've tried a few Chrome betas, but it's nearly impossible to tell what version you're running versus what's newly available - one of the many things I can't stand about Google software and web pages. I've found it decent in terms of speed, probably second only to Safari on both Mac OS and Windows. More recently testing Mac OS versions though. I still keep a copy of the more popular browsers on a virtualized Windows installation for testing, but I haven't updated to the latest betas there yet.

#332753 - 05/05/2010 03:42 Re: Chrome is fast [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: msaeger
Link

After watching this video I downloaded the Chrome beta and I may be easily impressed but it is frik'n fast. I have been using mostly Firefox and a using whatever the stable Chrome release is but the Chrome beta blows them both away.

Fun video! Thanks for sharing!

So I assume you're talking about Mac here. Did you mean you were using the nightly builds? I'd heard they'd released a new beta - Ryan Block of GDGT tweeted something about it today and was saying it was really fast.

I've now fully converted on my Windows computer. I have a special place in my heart for Firefox, and I harbor no ill will towards it, but it really is just too slow. Chrome opens sooo quickly, and browsing is super fast. I have had difficulties adjusting, where some things are different and they continue to annoy me, but it's worth the annoyance.

People tend to say that Firefox is made slow by its extensions. Well, Chrome is clearly handling extensions differently, because I don't have any problem with about nine different extensions running at the moment. The best part about the extensions in Chrome, IMO, is that if one of them crashes it does so independently of the browser, so you just get a bar at the top letting you know an extension crashed, but you can continue with business as usual. This has usually been the case for me with individual tabs as well.

*edit*
And in case you hadn't heard, IE is finally loosing its share of the market. Looks like the losing portion was spread out pretty evenly, though it seems Chrome is rising the fastest at the moment. It'll be neat to see where things go.

Edited by Dignan (05/05/2010 03:50)

#332754 - 05/05/2010 04:40 Re: Chrome is fast [Re: Dignan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: Dignan
*edit*
And in case you hadn't heard, IE is finally loosing its share of the market.

losing.

#332758 - 05/05/2010 10:06 Re: Chrome is fast [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

No I am using windows I just downloaded whatever version I got taken to from the link on in the tested article.

I only use a couple extensions in Firefox and I never really thought it was that slow but it is compared to this Chrome build I am using.

Matt

#332764 - 05/05/2010 14:31 Re: Chrome is fast [Re: Roger]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: Roger
*edit*

losing.

No, no... loosing. Microsoft doesn't lose, IE just called the market equivalent of free().

wink

#332769 - 05/05/2010 15:32 Re: Chrome is fast [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Originally Posted By: Roger
*edit*

losing.

Stop stealing my idiom.

#332774 - 05/05/2010 16:55 Re: Chrome is fast [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Argh. Gimme a break, it was 1:42am smile

...must stop posting late...or staying up late...

#332821 - 08/05/2010 20:41 Re: Chrome is fast [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Anyone know how I can get PDFs to open faster in Chrome ? My default PDF viewer is Foxit but Acrobat is also installed on the computer. When I open a PDF in Firefox or Chrome it appears to use Acrobat not Foxit. However it opens very quickly in Firefox and is really slow in Chrome.

Matt

#332824 - 09/05/2010 02:57 Re: Chrome is fast [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I'm not sure, but I prefer Sumatra PDF. It's barebones, way faster than either Foxit or Acrobat, and I haven't liked the obfuscation that Foxit tries to pull on people who just want to download their free reader.

#332825 - 09/05/2010 03:04 Re: Chrome is fast [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I'm not sure, but I prefer Sumatra PDF. It's barebones, way faster than either Foxit or Acrobat, and I haven't liked the obfuscation that Foxit tries to pull on people who just want to download their free reader.

So does it work in Chrome ? I don't care what it is I just want something that opens pdfs fast in Chrome.

Matt

#332827 - 09/05/2010 05:42 Re: Chrome is fast [Re: msaeger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I gave up on Chrome a while back, and I'm not currently using Windows anywhere anyway, so I don't know about speed, but PDF X-Change supports Chrome.

#332828 - 09/05/2010 11:04 Re: Chrome is fast [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

So does it work in Chrome ? I don't care what it is I just want something that opens pdfs fast in Chrome.

Hmm...sorry, I just played with that, and I guess it doesn't. Though frankly, I kind of like that it doesn't. No matter what program I've used, it always takes forever to load a PDF inside the browser. I'd rather it download to my desktop and I can open it far quicker. I just ran an informal side-by-side, and Acrobat opened in about 8 seconds, whereas Sumatra opened in less than 1.

#332830 - 09/05/2010 13:45 Re: Chrome is fast [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The only advantage to opening it in the browser is that, sometimes, and I don't know when those times are, the plugin will do partial downloads of the PDF file, so that if you know that the part you're interested in starts on page 234, you can skip downloading the first 233 pages.

Oh, and you don't have temp files littering your filesystem.

#332832 - 09/05/2010 14:01 Re: Chrome is fast [Re: wfaulk]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

The files are already on my HDD I view them in the browser because we have a "application" that is basically just an html interface for all our service documentation (30 GB of PDFs). I have been using Chrome for this for a while before I started this thread.

I got Foxit to run in chrome by uninstalling Acrobat but it is just as slow. In Firefox with Foxit or Acrobat the pdfs open instantly. Which is really funny since Chrome does everything else faster.

Matt

#332833 - 09/05/2010 14:22 Re: Chrome is fast [Re: msaeger]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I must be something with Chrome I un-installed everything and installed pdfxchange and it is just as slow.

Matt

#332834 - 09/05/2010 16:50 Re: Chrome is fast [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Oh, and you don't have temp files littering your filesystem.

Oh no, I don't have temp files. I download PDFs to my default download folder (my desktop).

I must be something with Chrome I un-installed everything and installed pdfxchange and it is just as slow.

There's definitely one slower thing I've noticed about Chrome, and it's an odd thing.

Every single time I'm in the browser, and I need to browse for a file to upload to a site, once I've selected the file it seems to take forever for Chrome to sort of...register that it has the file. I'm not sure how to explain it.

For example, if I wanted to attach a file to this post, I'd go to the file upload window using the forum software. I'd click the browse button and find the file like I usually would. The difference between Chrome and Firefox, for me, is that once I double-click that files (or click it and click OK), I'm taken back to the browser window, but the file text box is still empty, and it stays empty for about 5-10 seconds, then it eventually fills out and I can go along my way.

The browser isn't frozen at that point. I can click the submit button or whatever and it will then act like I haven't selected a file. This is the behavior I've gotten from every one of these situations. It even happens when I upload a file to Google Docs!