Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#332654 - 01/05/2010 13:57 A photo I am pleased with
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Attached is a photo I took a few days ago during the full moon. I am pleased with how it came out.

For reference, the lights on the other side of the lake are about eight miles away.

Caveat: the photo is fairly large at about 1.7 megabytes.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
Moon over Lake Chapala.jpg (197 downloads)

#332661 - 01/05/2010 16:57 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: tanstaafl.]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Nice shot!

#332663 - 01/05/2010 17:39 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
What's up with the edits around the moon?

#332664 - 01/05/2010 18:09 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris
What's up with the edits around the moon?

Aaarrggh! You weren't supposed to look that close! smile

You must have a better monitor than mine, because I can't see the sloppy paste job until I zoom in so close that the moon is all pixelated. I guess I'd better fix that before I send the picture in to the photo exhibit that my camera club puts on each year.

As you no doubt surmised, it is a composite shot, has to be since the moon is 4,096 times brighter (12 f-stops!) than the lake. The lake was shot at f3.2, 5-second exposure; the moon at f4.5, 1/250 second. I zoomed in on the moon to pick up as much detail as I could, then re-sized the image to 40% to scale it to match the lake.

Hmph! Damn smart-aleck kids with their sharp eyes and good equipment! smile

tanstaafl.

edit: Okay, is this better? See attachment #2.

Attachments
Moon over Lake Chapala 2.jpg (139 downloads)

Edited by tanstaafl. (01/05/2010 18:49)
Edit Reason: Attach better picture

#332665 - 01/05/2010 19:03 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: tanstaafl.]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I sure and heck can't see anything but I just looked at the image and didn't zoom in or anything.

Edit:

Ok I downloaded and looked at the full size of the first one and I totally see it now. Can't see it at all with the picture being re-sized to fit my browser.

Edited by msaeger (01/05/2010 21:45)

Matt

#332667 - 01/05/2010 20:23 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: msaeger]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Now the edges are pixelated. Most noticeable on the left edge.

Edit: go back to the first and use the clone tool to copy the sky over the black touch ups.

Edited by gbeer (01/05/2010 20:24)

#332669 - 01/05/2010 22:33 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: gbeer]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: gbeer
Now the edges are pixelated. Most noticeable on the left edge.

Boy, you guys are a tough crowd! smile

OK, here's version #3. I think it's getting better.

And FWIW, I really do appreciate the criticisms. I don't have any fancy graphics software, I am using a freeware program called Paint.Net (suggested to me by Bitt Faulk) and it is touted as being a slightly more capable version of MSPaint.

tanstaafl.

edit: OK, the moon is still pixelated. That is happening when the picture is added to the bbs, it is not pixelated in the original picture. Ah! View the picture full screen and the pixelation goes away.

Attachments
Moon over Lake Chapala 3.jpg (143 downloads)

Edited by tanstaafl. (01/05/2010 22:37)

#332679 - 02/05/2010 14:35 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It wasn't because of sharp eyes. It was because I just have the brightness on my monitor is turned up a bit. The CCD noise of the background sky had been clearly painted away. That's why you edit with a clone brush and check your edits at the extreme brightness ranges.

#332681 - 03/05/2010 14:45 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: tanstaafl.]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
As you no doubt surmised, it is a composite shot, has to be since the moon is 4,096 times brighter (12 f-stops!) than the lake. The lake was shot at f3.2, 5-second exposure; the moon at f4.5, 1/250 second.

You might want to look into High Dynamic Range (HDR) imaging, with tone mapping.

#332684 - 03/05/2010 18:12 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: canuckInOR]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
Great composition but I do notice some unsharpness in the landscape. I think your tripod might have moved slightly during the long exposure or maybe it's just digital noise.

#332689 - 03/05/2010 19:15 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: siberia37]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: siberia37
Great composition but I do notice some unsharpness in the landscape. I think your tripod might have moved slightly during the long exposure or maybe it's just digital noise.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I don't think the tripod moved, it was on a tile deck made of 16" thick concrete, and I used the self-timer to make the exposure. More likely I just did an inept job of focusing, it's hard to do in the dark, I don't remember now if it was auto-focus or manual focus.

Next time there's a full moon I'll repeat the process, much more carefully. This was just a snapshot that turned out better than I expected. I think a three-shot panorama in portrait mode with more zoom, smaller aperture and better focusing will do the trick...

Hmmm... shooting film you get what is known as reciprocity failure with long exposures. Does this happen with digital photography as well?

tanstaafl.

#332690 - 03/05/2010 19:24 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: tanstaafl.]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Here is a night shot I was quite proud of...

I didn't get a clear sky really, so made it more about the building I had in front of me. You can read a post about how I made this shot on my blog.

You want to shoot f8 above if you can. The camera needs to be dead steady, and I mean dead! Use a longer exposure and lower ISO. You also need to make sure you sky is darker, unless you have some cool cloud formations to play around with.

Looks like a great location for a shot, with a bit more practice I think you will get once awesome shot from there!

Cheers

Cris.

#332691 - 03/05/2010 19:42 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: tanstaafl.]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Yeah, I noticed that too. I don't think the tripod moved, it was on a tile deck made of 16" thick concrete, and I used the self-timer to make the exposure. More likely I just did an inept job of focusing, it's hard to do in the dark, I don't remember now if it was auto-focus or manual focus.

All your "point sources" on the far shore of the lake are identical little triangles. I'm pretty sure that means something moved. Tiptoe more -- 16in of concrete is little help if it's on a "bouncy" substrate such as clay.

The edits in the foreground (near shore) are better in #3 than in #2 or #1, but the one below the red (far-shore) light and the one below the central islet are still pretty brutish.

Peter

#332692 - 03/05/2010 20:01 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: Cris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Did you decide you liked the fisheye look, or did straightening it make it look weird? It's a great shot either way, and it's a cool story about the lighting.

#332694 - 03/05/2010 21:29 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: peter]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: peter
All your "point sources" on the far shore of the lake are identical little triangles. I'm pretty sure that means something moved. Tiptoe more -- 16in of concrete is little help if it's on a "bouncy" substrate such as clay.

You are right! Good catch! I am quite confident that the deck did not move (steel-reinforced concrete pillars sunk five meters into very rocky ground), but at that time of night there are frequently wind gusts severe enough for my Sunsetter awnings to automatically retract. They didn't on that night, but there may have been breezes enough to vibrate my somewhat flimsy tripod.

The edits in the foreground (near shore) are better in #3 than in #2 or #1, but the one below the red (far-shore) light and the one below the central islet are still pretty brutish.

I know those were brutish edits, because I did them in a very ham-fisted manner. But as God is my witness, even though I know exactly where every edit was made (they were done to cover up distractingly bright lights in the foreground) I cannot see a single one of them on my monitor so I figured they were OK. Now, my monitor is nothing great, an Acer 22" LCD that I bought from Tiger Direct for about $200. And during the day (as I write this, and as I made the edits) I have a lot of bright ambient light I can do nothing about that may be obscuring some of my sins. Obscuring to me, that is, but not to you sharp-eyed devils! smile

So, I am attaching picture #4, uncropped, and unedited except for sticking the moon into it. You can see why I cropped and edited the previous versions. And, a tiny triumph for me, I bet none of you noticed where I edited out the antenna just to the right of the island in the first three pictures! And I think I have got the moon added in reasonably well although as in the other edits there may well be egregious flaws which I cannot see and am blissfully unaware of.

I really, truly appreciate these comments and criticisms. I have learned quite a bit here, enough to make my next attempt at this picture a great deal better.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
Moon over Lake Chapala 4 unedited.jpg (129 downloads)

#332695 - 03/05/2010 22:00 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I cannot see a single one of them on my monitor so I figured they were OK. Now, my monitor is nothing great, an Acer 22" LCD

I have heard that some graphic artists and other print industry professionals will refuse to use LCD displays at all. Analog CRT's are quickly becoming a rarity, and a lot of these people are snatching them up and hoarding them.

Yours is one of many varied examples as to why this is the case.

Problems such wide variations in color definition and brightness are one thing, but even more troubling is posterization of some displays: Where two different nearby RGB values in Photoshop will render as the same color on the LCD display because of a limitation in the per-pixel, per-component bit depth of a given display.

Analog CRT monitors can have those kinds of problems, too, but at least they can be more accurately calibrated across the analog spectrum. (Graphic industry professionals always calibrate their displays.)

#332703 - 04/05/2010 01:23 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: tanstaafl.]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
I like the unedited version. Why alter the moon? An altered moon against original everything else is distracting. An altered moon would look fine if the rest of the picture was sharpened or saturated.

For free, online image editing, try Aviary.

In college, a friend doctored a house party picture before posting it online. He thought he edit was a solid black spot, but at full brightness, it looked like crayon scribble masking the music department audio mixer we'd "borrowed". It helps to check.

#332705 - 04/05/2010 01:48 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: tfabris
Quote:
I cannot see a single one of them on my monitor..
..Yours is one of many varied examples as to why this is the case.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. It's probably just a case of him not pixel-peeping at a high enough zoom level.

The triangles are quite visible at full zoom on the LCDs here.

Cheers

#332707 - 04/05/2010 01:52 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: FireFox31]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: FireFox31
Why alter the moon?

Because the moon was not in the lake picture at all. It was too bright to include in the frame, and had to be photographed separately at a reduction of 12 f-stops.

tanstaafl.

#332708 - 04/05/2010 01:54 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: mlord]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord
The triangles are quite visible at full zoom on the LCDs here.

Oh, I can see the triangles indicating movement of the camera during the exposure. What Peter was referring to are the edits where I copied a section of black and pasted it over some bright lights I felt were distracting. The pasted areas look exactly like their surroundings on my monitor, but apparently are quite visible with better equipment and/or better eyes.

tanstaafl.

#332709 - 04/05/2010 02:11 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: tanstaafl.]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
That's just a gamma setting that's out of whack. With adjustments to the display's contrast (or what we muggles would "mistakenly" call brightness) it ought to be visible.

smile

#333358 - 26/05/2010 02:10 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: tanstaafl.]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

New, improved version.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
2010-05-25 Moon Over Chapala working.JPG (159 downloads)

#333388 - 26/05/2010 19:27 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: tanstaafl.]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
You should really try to get a real one with the moon in it somehow. That pasted in moon always sticks out like a sore thumb.

#333389 - 26/05/2010 19:53 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: RobotCaleb]
peter
carpal tunnel

I love that it's basically one lunar month since the last go. For maximum coolness you can do one of these next: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap050713.html

Peter

#333394 - 26/05/2010 21:01 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: RobotCaleb]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: RobotCaleb
You should really try to get a real one with the moon in it somehow. That pasted in moon always sticks out like a sore thumb.

It wasn't the moon that stuck out for me, this time (although there are some jaggies around the top edge), so much as the weird scribble edits in seemingly random locations, that make it look like Doug was practicing with the clone brush. smile

#333418 - 27/05/2010 13:39 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: RobotCaleb]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: RobotCaleb

Not possible. The moon is more than 4,000 times brighter than the surrounding terrain. I can expose for the moon and end up with a nice round circle in the middle of a solid black photograph... or I can have a little bit of detail in the foreground with an absolutely blank ragged white overexposed circle up in the sky.

The moon has to be pasted.

tanstaafl.

#333419 - 27/05/2010 13:43 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: peter]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

I love that it's basically one lunar month since the last go. For maximum coolness you can do one of these next: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap050713.html

Peter

I am impressed that you noticed. Obviously I have to wait for the next full moon to get the photo. The current picture was taken with the moon one day short of full. Last night I shot with the full moon, but the pictures were unsatisfactory because of too much haze (farmers burning their fields) and the other side of the lake and the mountains couldn't be seen at all. I'll try again tonight if conditions are better, then I'll have to wait another 26 days before the next attempt.

tanstaafl.

#333420 - 27/05/2010 13:56 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: canuckInOR]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: canuckinOR
It wasn't the moon that stuck out for me, this time (although there are some jaggies around the top edge), so much as the weird scribble edits in seemingly random locations, that make it look like Doug was practicing with the clone brush. smile

Damn! You guys are a tough crowd! smile But I love it. I'm learning a lot here.

As God is my witness, with my monitor and my viewing software, I really cannot see the edits after I've done them. Probably its just that I am a total klutz with my primitive editing tools, but darn it, I really thought I was doing pretty well with them. frown

The edits aren't random... they are my clumsy attempt to ameliorate some very distracting and very bright lights in the foreground. This was a 40-second exposure at f8, and the street lights and that damned OXXO sign are practically blinding. I betcha you can't see where I had to get rid of about 20 stars that had turned into streaks in the sky because of the long exposure. smile

You're right, I tried (clearly ineffectually) to use a clone tool to cover those lights. Some of them were not well done, but I thought others were OK. I worked over six different places, do they all stick out? How can I do this better?

tanstaafl.

#333421 - 27/05/2010 14:45 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: tanstaafl.]
peter
carpal tunnel

I worked over six different places, do they all stick out? How can I do this better?

I can only see four: the grey patch below the islet, the oddly-repeating golden tree directly below that, a reappearance of the golden tree with its friend the smoke-monster from Lost in the very front at the middle, and the golden tree again, this time with a fetching black hat scribbled-on, on the right directly below the rightmost patch of lights on the far shore. I've listed those in increasing order of obviousness, the final one being I'm afraid really hopelessly obvious.

Peter

#333423 - 27/05/2010 15:50 Re: A photo I am pleased with [Re: peter]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

I can only see four:

Pretty good!

All you missed was the orange building just to the right of the "hopeless" edit (I concur with your opinion on that one); note that the windows are at different levels but a wicked bright light was done away with there; and there used to be a cell phone tower sticking up just to the right of the islet.

That grey patch below the the islet is the OXXO sign... tough to deal with. I tried just toning down the brightness by cloning the moonlit lake onto it, but it looks too flat.

I'll play with it some more, I know I can make it better. And I really do appreciate the help and suggestions. I am a rank novice when it comes to photo editing (I like to think I am better than average at the actual camera work) and this picture (and the similar one from last month) represents my first attempt at it.

tanstaafl.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >