Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#347338 - 11/09/2011 10:57 Remembering
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I was at a school, which happened to be a client of ours, trying to diagnose to network problems that were causing database corruption. Don't remember exactly how I heard that the first plane hit, but I remember sitting in a daze at the workstation I was at, trying to hit every news site I could think of and they were all down. I finally settled on getting news updates through Slashdot, as they seemed to be the only ones with the capacity to handle the load.

Was listening to the radio live when the second plane hit, and the shock and realization that this was INTENTIONAL began to sink in. I remember also being quite certain that the towers were engineered so well that they would never fall. Perhaps just the floors above the crash, but not completely. Then watching in disbelief as they did exactly what I thought impossible. I remember driving from Georgia back to South Carolina that night with the radio on in complete shock that night. It seemed so meaningless to have stayed on the job site all day, but what else was there to do?

Anyhow. Seems appropriate to remember today. Anyone else?

#347340 - 11/09/2011 12:29 Re: Remembering [Re: JBjorgen]
Redrum
old hand

I was listing to the radio and heard about the first tower being hit. I at first blew it off as a small plane accident but when the DJ said to turn on the TV. I then knew it was big deal. You don’t hear the DJ’s telling you to turn off the radio.

A few months later my manager left and the company hired a guy who was in one of tower when it was hit. He said it changed his life totally.

He talked a few times about it but not much. He said one the scariest times was when they were walking down the stairs (I think he was on 70 something floor) and jet fuel started running down the walls. A lot of his co-workers didn’t make it out. He said one of the ladies he worked with was overweight and could not make it down the stairs as fast as he and the rest if the people were going. He had to leave her and she didn’t make it.

#347341 - 11/09/2011 13:59 Re: Remembering [Re: Redrum]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I didn't hear about any of it until it was all over. I remember feeling like something wasn't right. I just kept working too I didn't feel like going home would help anyone.

Matt

#347342 - 11/09/2011 15:29 Re: Remembering [Re: JBjorgen]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Believe it or not, but I was here, on this forum, reading, when I read a new post informing the users about what happened. I remember not believing it at first, I was shocked, surprised and in a daze, as if this was not real. I then started reading all the news sites I could think of, and slowly reality hit me.

I can't believe it's been ten years already.

#347345 - 11/09/2011 21:06 Re: Remembering [Re: BartDG]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I've had mixed emotions about the whole thing. I wrote up a long post, but it was too rambly and incoherent to stick online anywhere.

#347346 - 12/09/2011 03:07 Re: Remembering [Re: DWallach]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Try us. Mine was a bit of whatever came to mind too.

#347347 - 12/09/2011 10:17 Re: Remembering [Re: JBjorgen]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I was awake and getting ready for work, with IRC open and one of my friends said to check the TV. That day was the first and only day that I ever used the tuner in that car since the empeg was installed. Work was eerily quiet, usually filled with talking and laughing the only noise was keyboards and the radio that somebody turned on to the news station.

During that time, I was traveling a lot out of country (in fact I was in Japan just two weeks before) and my parents called to see if I was OK. It felt weird talking, like I was interrupting something.

#347348 - 12/09/2011 11:25 Re: Remembering [Re: Tim]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
I was working at a client and all the screens turned over right after the first crash. Pretty much the rest of the day was spent just sat watching in disbelief.

Very proud that my choir went over to New York and sang yesterday in the memorial garden (bit gutted it was just the singers, not the session musicians, but very proud nonetheless)
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock