Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#352081 - 10/05/2012 17:45 SWMBO, iPhone, Music ??
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
SWMBO is going to Europe tomorrow with her iPhone, and in an effort to reduce the amount of stuff she takes with her, I would like to put music on it instead of her taking a dedicated music player.

I know nothing of iPhones.

Is there a way to drag MP3 files to her iPhone from my computer? Does an iPhone even play MP3 files or does it have to be in some proprietary Apple format? Can it be done without putting iTunes on my computer? (That last one is a deal-breaker!) Assuming I can get music into her iPhone, how does she listen to it?

I don't own a cell phone of any type, much less a Smart Phone. So any replies will have to be really simple and basic!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

tanstaafl.

EDIT: Never mind. I figured it out. CopyTransManager to the rescue! And once again, thank you Tony Fabris for recommending CTM to me all these years ago.

Edited by tanstaafl. (10/05/2012 18:12)

#352083 - 10/05/2012 18:19 Re: SWMBO, iPhone, Music ?? [Re: tanstaafl.]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Had a post with info, but it looks like you found a way that works for you without using iTunes.

Yes, the iPhone does support MP3 (MPEG 1). The only "proprietary Apple format" it supports is the lossless codec. The other format of music it supports is AAC, an MPEG 4 standard in line with what BluRay discs, HDTV broadcasts, and a few other things use for audio.

Playback is all done via the "Music" app on the phone. Or, if the phone hasn't been updated, it may still have the older "iPod" app on there. Let us know if you have ant questions on playback, but should be pretty easy to figure out once some music is on the device.