Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#353815 - 06/08/2012 19:28 Any Cacti/SNMP Experts Out There ???
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I give up! I admit it, I'm a numbskull !!!

After many weeks of messing around I just can't get my head around how I can get graphs from a remote SNMP device I have set up.

I can get to the webpage and see all the figures (battery voltages, temperatures) that are being measured by the device, but I can't get something that will graph that data automatically for me.

I am trying to use Cacti, and have downloaded a VM from JumpBox.com but it is far from simple to understand, and I find it quite amazing how complicated making a simple graph can be.

Anyone fancy giving a simple lad from Yorkshire a hand ???

Cheers

Cris

#353833 - 06/08/2012 22:27 Re: Any Cacti/SNMP Experts Out There ??? [Re: Cris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'd be happy to.

#353844 - 07/08/2012 09:25 Re: Any Cacti/SNMP Experts Out There ??? [Re: wfaulk]
Cris
pooh-bah

Thanks smile

Cheers

Cris

#353860 - 07/08/2012 13:43 Re: Any Cacti/SNMP Experts Out There ??? [Re: Cris]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: Cris
I am trying to use Cacti, and have downloaded a VM from JumpBox.com but it is far from simple to understand, and I find it quite amazing how complicated making a simple graph can be.

I tried using Cacti, once, and abandoned it in favour of just using RRDtool directly. I didn't need the fancy webpage, though.

#353862 - 07/08/2012 13:56 Re: Any Cacti/SNMP Experts Out There ??? [Re: canuckInOR]
Cris
pooh-bah

Fancy webpage wold be very nice to have, but I could just make the graphs in Excel I suppose ???

Cheers

Cris

#353887 - 08/08/2012 09:04 Re: Any Cacti/SNMP Experts Out There ??? [Re: Cris]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
I am not an expert at all, but I did manage to configure Cacti a while back by fluke to graph some things at home. Here is a brief overview of what you need to do in the admin interface:

1) Management -> Devices -> 'Add' (hidden away in the top right of the page). Give it a name, put in the device's hostname or IP, SNMP details and hit Create.

2) Click on the device you just created in the list and add some 'Associated Data Queries' such as 'SNMP - Interface Statistics' etc. If you have some of these working with more than 0 items, you can click the link at the top that says 'Create Graphs for this Host'.

3) You can now choose a graph type and data query, click create and hope it works. I honestly can't really remember some of the details of how I got it working, but I do remember it took some determination to get it going and a little bit of trial and error as well.

Back in the day I had actually created my own Data Input Method which was a few lines of Perl that ran lmsensors and displayed the values correctly formatted for Cacti. This fed into a Graph template which I had created too. This was back in the day of my Abit BP6, so about 12 years ago! It did work well, eventually.

#353904 - 08/08/2012 14:21 Re: Any Cacti/SNMP Experts Out There ??? [Re: Cris]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: Cris
Fancy webpage wold be very nice to have, but I could just make the graphs in Excel I suppose ???

That's a possibility. rrdtool is pretty nice, once you understand how it works. I was able to get what I needed after following along in the tutorial.