Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#361950 - 07/06/2014 21:36 Rubbing the lamp: Travel site that sorts by codeshare?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Empeg braintrust: I've asked the twitterverse this question. In case they don't find this...

Google isn't helping me with the answer, my Google-fu is weak here...

Is there a travel site (similar to Expedia or Travelocity) which lets me sort their search results by *codeshare*? Looking at prices and number of hops and layover times is important. But also I want to know which ones of these flights will earn me *miles*.

#361951 - 07/06/2014 22:18 Re: Rubbing the lamp: Travel site that sorts by codeshare? [Re: tfabris]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Not exactly what your looking for but close.

ITA Matrix

This allows for quite a sophisticated selection of options, including operating carrier. It's also a Google owned operation. wink

Or more information on these sorts of things:

Flyer Talk Forums

These maniacs can surely steer you in the right direction!

Edited by petteri (07/06/2014 22:20)
Edit Reason: added URL

#361960 - 09/06/2014 01:16 Re: Rubbing the lamp: Travel site that sorts by codeshare? [Re: petteri]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Close! It lets me filter on airlines. If I happen to already have looked up the codeshare list, I can tick and untick the desired boxes for my codeshares.

Strange that no one has an *actual* codeshare sort. You'd think that'd be a prime feature for these kinds of sites.

#361963 - 09/06/2014 08:14 Re: Rubbing the lamp: Travel site that sorts by codeshare? [Re: tfabris]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Have your tried the "alliance" websites themselves?

oneworld

Star Alliance

SkyTeam

Which airline mileage program are you a part of?

#361967 - 09/06/2014 18:03 Re: Rubbing the lamp: Travel site that sorts by codeshare? [Re: tfabris]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

ITA's Matrix thing is the best power tool for airline routing research. The way you detect codeshares is when you see, say, a United and Lufthansa flight with the exact same itinerary between the exact same airports. It's usually pretty obvious when you use their visual time view.

The real trickery these days, with codeshares, seems to be whether or not you get 100% of the elite qualifying miles. For example, there are two daily flights from Houston to Frankfurt: one on a United 767 and another on a Lufthansa A380. The latter can be purchased from United, but last I checked you got zero EQMs when doing it. So fine, I flew the 767 instead, but it's one of those things that's not entirely obvious until you're booking your flight and looking at the fine print.

#361968 - 09/06/2014 18:48 Re: Rubbing the lamp: Travel site that sorts by codeshare? [Re: petteri]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Have your tried the "alliance" websites themselves? Which airline mileage program are you a part of?

I'm a member of a couple of mileage programs, but the only one I care about is the Alaska mileage because that's the only one where I ever get the chance to use the miles before they expire. Alaska's not a part of any of those alliance web sites, though they do codeshare with some of the airlines which are members of some of those alliances.

The ideal layout that I'm looking for would be to have the same system as existing travel web sites, but then have their search results allow me another column of data for sorting how many miles I'd earn on my selected (or perhaps more than one selected) codeshare. Like I could have one column sorting "this flight would earn me x alaska miles" and another column for "this flight would earn me x USAirways miles", etc. Perhaps with additional data for how many EQM miles, as Dan suggested.